Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Star-Telegram: Rather be lucky than good? Cowboys are a little of both

tr1

Hmmm....puke home town reporter saying what I've been saying all year...the pukes are the LUCKIEST team in the NFL. ;) That defense is ripe for an embarrassing exposure. :laugh:

By JIM REEVES

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

http://www.star-telegram.com/332/story/350876.html

DETROIT -- Can the Cowboys please get back to the important stuff now, like T.O.'s birthday party?

I mean, heaven forbid the regular NFL season should get in the way of the celebration, right?

There are, no doubt, more celebrities to drool over, more champagne to be toasted, more canapés to nibble.

Oh, and one more thing while we're at it. How about getting into a senseless, chippy war of words with the opposing quarterback over some meaningless drivel he said almost a year ago?

Finally, to wrap up the Cowboys' just-completed (we hope) 10-day vacation, maybe the defense can sleepwalk its way through about 57 minutes of sheer misery and pray that Tony Romo sits to pee, Jason Witten and the offense can save its worthless bacon in the final seconds.

That pretty much sums up Sunday's eye-rubbing, you-had-to-see-it-to-believe-it 28-27 Cowboys come-from-behind victory over the Lions.

I now officially pronounce the Cowboys the Luckiest Team in the NFL and don't even try to argue with me, not if you watched the game that made Dallas NFC East champs for the first time since 1998.

There's good and there's lucky, and when you can combine the two, the sky's the limit.

And speaking of "up there," Terence Newman figures maybe there was some divine intervention involved, too.

"God definitely is on our side," Newman said appreciatively. "You talk about Texas Stadium.... well, he was in Detroit, too, watching his Cowboys play."

Somehow I'm guessing The Man had even more important things to do Sunday, though I know that's probably heresy for Cowboys fans. On the other hand, maybe there was something spiritual, or at least mystical, involved.

How else do you explain Detroit's Paris Lenon somehow kicking Tony Romo sits to pee's fumble away on the Cowboys' winning drive when the Lions' middle linebacker seemingly had it right in his gut?

Or kicker Jason Hanson, who almost never misses, shaving the right upright with a near chip shot 35-yard field goal when it would have meant a nine-point, fourth-quarter lead?

"In the past, we haven't made enough plays to win," linebacker Bradie James said. "That's what we're doing now, making enough plays to win and that's what matters.

"You play for 60 minutes. You don't play for 45 minutes. You don't play for 59 1/2 minutes. You play for 60 minutes and that's what we were able to do. Guys made plays on both sides of the ball."

Someone could make a pretty solid argument that the Cowboys' defense actually played for about 3 1/2 minutes.

That's how long the Lions -- who held a 27-21 lead -- managed to keep the ball on their final meaningful possession, after they separated tight end Jason Witten from the ball at their own 1-yard line with 5:47 to play.

That should have been the last dance for the Cowboys.

That was their chance to take the lead, and things indeed looked bleak when quarterback Jon Kitna converted two big third-down plays to move the ball out to the Lions' 36. Another couple of first downs, and this one was over.

But linebacker Akin Ayodele and nose tackle Jay Ratliff stuffed consecutive running plays, and Kitna, facing third-and-9, passed incomplete for pesky Shaun McDonald, who spent most of the afternoon eating Newman's lunch and his mid-afternoon snack, too.

The Cowboys' defense, in fact, gave up its most rushing yards all season (152), surrendered 25 first downs and failed to record a sack until the game's final play.

That should subdue the Super Bowl talk for a day at least.

IHOP never made a pancake as flat as the Cowboys came out Sunday. Were they still thinking about T.O.'s birthday bash? Rusty from the 10-day layoff? Distracted by all the Kitna-related junk they decided to rehash last week?

All of the above?

And how could Wade Phillips and his coaching staff not see this coming and slap some sense into their team before the Cowboys got nose-to-nose with what should have been their second loss of the season (or third if you figure they should have lost in Buffalo, too)?

"I didn't know," said Phillips, who spent so much time slobbering over his team's heart and character in the comeback he seemed to forget what put them in that position in the first place. "Ten days without playing, we're on the road, Detroit's been playing real well at home....

"All these things going, I wasn't sure [how the Cowboys would come out]. I didn't get them ready enough, I guess, because we certainly weren't hitting on all cylinders starting out."

You think?

"It was really weird," Newman said. "When the game first started it was so quiet in [Ford Field]. We were flat and they were running on all cylinders.

"They were running the ball on us, they were throwing the ball on us. They were pretty much controlling us. They were doing what they wanted to do.

"It kind of reminded me of Buffalo, without all the turnovers."

That ugly, huh?

"They just picked us apart back there," Newman said. "We didn't make the quality adjustments we were supposed to make and they capitalized on it.

"It was a reality check. You're happy to win the game, but not happy with the way it played out."

The reality is that there's something inherently wrong with this Cowboys defense, and there's going to come a time, sooner or later, when the offense won't be able to bail the defense out.

I think.

But at least Newman did have a friendly chat with Kitna before the game.

"It was cool," Newman said. "We just exchanged some cookie recipes. I told him I like chocolate chip. He told me he likes peanut butter."

Hey, maybe they can bake up a couple of dozen each for T.O.'s never-ending birthday party.

I just laugh at puke fans who think luck has nothing to do with that record...

The only part of the puke team that deserves credit is the o-line. They're having a GREAT year...though, I don't think Columbo and Flo will be able to return to this form next year...

The only part of the puke team that deserves credit is the o-line. They're having a GREAT year...though, I don't think Columbo and Flo will be able to return to this form next year...

Romo sits to pee will either break, or come close to breaking every Cowboys passing record this season....yet deserves NO credit??:rolleyes:

How bout Barber?

Witten?

TO?

The playcalling?

Luck only gets you so far.

guess that leonard davis signing worked out after all?

there is no doubt that Dallas has gotten more than there fair share of bounces this year, the fumble at the end of the game yesterday is a perfect example. That being said, they still needed to put the ball in the end zone after they recovered that fumble, which they did. Luck is not the sole reason that Dallas is 12-1, they have been lucky, but they have also been good.

there is no doubt that Dallas has gotten more than there fair share of bounces this year, the fumble at the end of the game yesterday is a perfect example. That being said, they still needed to put the ball in the end zone after they recovered that fumble, which they did. Luck is not the sole reason that Dallas is 12-1, they have been lucky, but they have also been good.

Lucky and good is a deadly combination!

Archived