Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Just finished breaking down the running downs in last 2 games...

Dance04

Like I said, I just re-watched the last 2 games on my computer. Unfortunetly, the versions I downloaded were not complete. So, for the Bills stats, I missed the first offensive series, and for the bears game I missed the last quarter and 5 minutes of the third. Anyway, I think I compiled enough Data. Please note, that all these stats are when our RB (which was portis 99% of the time) are regarding the first contact made.

Bills Game:

Hit before the L.O.S for a loss: 2

Hit before the L.O.S for no loss: 6

Hit at the L.O.S: 8

Hit after the L.O.S, within 3 yards: 7

Hit after L.O.S, beyond 3 yards: 0

Runs out of shotgun: 0

Bears Game:

Hit before the L.O.S for a loss: 2

Hit before the L.O.S for no loss: 5

Hit at the L.O.S: 1

Hit after the L.O.S, within 3 yards: 2

Hit after L.O.S, beyond 3 yards: 0

Runs out of shotgun: 3

So, to sum up, out of the 33 runs i tracked:

Hit before, or at the L.O.S: 24

Hit after the L.O.S: 9

Hit before the L.O.S, yet no negative yardage occured: 11. <--- I think that is actually a testament to CP and Betts and there toughness

Seems like a huge problem to me.

But, but, but, Portis sucks and is a busted trade! It's all his fault!

:jerk:

Great, great post! :cheers:

Thanks! Another thing, look at how many times we ran out of the shotgun. 3 out of 33. The defense knows, that when JC lines up under center, he is gonna hand it off. We do a terrible job of disguising runs and keeping the defenses honest. That, I don't blame on the OL, but on the coaching

Good stuff Dance04. I think the lack of help by the O line has begun to wear on Portis some. I watched Heyer during the Bears game, and he had some trouble keeping his guy from sliding down the line of scrimmage to make plays inside. He just couldn't get his head in front of the guy several times. He'll improve though, and Wade may be healthy. But I think getting Randy Thomas back will pick up the whole unit.

You went through all that film and compiled all this data just to tell us our O-line got shot to hell in the first two weeks? That's all it is really. Even the most mediocre off the bench RB can run very well behind a good, healthy o-line. Skill of the RB only counts for so much.

No doubt you can correct me if I am wrong about this but I noted that Portis was in for most of the two and three yarders while Betts couldn't get passed the line. I love them both but that is a testament to CP's ability to get yardage if it is at all possible.

You went through all that film and compiled all this data just to tell us our O-line got shot to hell in the first two weeks? That's all it is really. Even the most mediocre off the bench RB can run very well behind a good, healthy o-line. Skill of the RB only counts for so much.

Why not go through the film? I'm just trying to prove to everyone that Portis is not the problem. They say throw in betts, he will do better. There is no way he will do better, look at what I compiled.

No doubt you can correct me if I am wrong about this but I noted that Portis was in for most of the two and three yarders while Betts couldn't get passed the line. I love them both but that is a testament to CP's ability to get yardage if it is at all possible.

Also, this is exactly why I posted this. Look at what I posted

"Hit before the L.O.S, yet no negative yardage occured: 11. <--- I think that is actually a testament to CP and Betts and there toughness"

11 out of 33 times our RB's got hit in the backfield, yet were still able to pick up yards, or at the very least get back to the LOS

Thanks! Another thing, look at how many times we ran out of the shotgun. 3 out of 33. The defense knows, that when JC lines up under center, he is gonna hand it off. We do a terrible job of disguising runs and keeping the defenses honest. That, I don't blame on the OL, but on the coaching

it all goes to the run run pass handicap they put on jason

sadly since the running game is so ineffective and it's been so easy to get pressure on jason we go to the shotgun on those 3'rd and longs,since it lets the QB see the defense better and gives him a better chance to evade the rush.

the only time the offense ever looked in sync was when jason was running the hurry up and calling his own plays. wonder why

The problem is not only the injuries to the line, but also the fact that teams are run blitzing the hell out of us. There is something that this team is doing pre-snap that indicates it's a run play. And there is also something that Jason Campbell was doing to tip off when the ball is going to be snapped.

All this proves, if anything considering it is unscientific and your data unofficial, is that Portis can't escape a tackle or break one.

All that post proves is that you can't read.

If he's getting hit behind the line and still making it back to the line or getting a gain, then he's both escaping and breaking tackles.

1) Think.

2) Post.

Not the other way around.

The NFL isn't about stopping the run and running the ball now the times have changed, we aint done either lately and we're 13-0.

Your team has ALOT of money spent on the WR core, you should be spreading the field and passing to start the game to open things up for the running game, this run run pass thing that your team does has become so predictable.

The NFL isn't about stopping the run and running the ball now the times have changed, we aint done either lately and we're 13-0.

Your team has ALOT of money spent on the WR core, you should be spreading the field and passing to start the game to open things up for the running game, this run run pass thing that your team does has become so predictable.

Sadly this winning thing that the Patriots keep doing has become predictable.

It's hard to spread out the field when you can't run the ball though. You need to remember we don't have a Randy Moss on our team. We rely on a balanced attack and that's the way this offense has been built.

If Portis isn't getting 100 yards a game then we're going to struggle. It's just the way it is.

This OL needs to step up.

All this proves, if anything considering it is unscientific and your data unofficial, is that Portis can't escape a tackle or break one.

Your 100% right. My data is unofficial. However, its not hard to see when the guy gets tackled. If he gets hit in the backfield, then I chalk it up in the "hit before L.O.S" column. Not very hard.

It's ok tho, you can attack my post if it makes you feel any better. :laugh:

11 out of 33 times our RB's got hit in the backfield, yet were still able to pick up yards, or at the very least get back to the LOS. That's called "breaking a tackle" :laugh:

NC got it right, you should read what he said again.

If he's getting hit behind the line and still making it back to the line or getting a gain, then he's both escaping and breaking tackles.

1) Think.

2) Post.

Sadly this winning thing that the Patriots keep doing has become predictable.

It's hard to spread out the field when you can't run the ball though. You need to remember we don't have a Randy Moss on our team. We rely on a balanced attack and that's the way this offense has been built.

If Portis isn't getting 100 yards a game then we're going to struggle. It's just the way it is.

This OL needs to step up.

You are spending more money on WRs than we are!

Whats the point in spending all that money to not throw them the ball, run run cooley is the plan :doh:

1) Think.

2) Post.

Aww.. he's defending his poor little runing back, isn't that cute. Now pay attention:

3) The post you so embrace is terribly flawed!

4) You don't have a clue if any of it is accurate.

5) Never write a check with the next man's checkbook.

6) It's really a shame when someone has to sit there and crunch numbers in an effort find some way to get an unproductive player off the hook. Nice try! The thing about numbers and stats, you can make them say whatever you want. I'm sure I can come up with some more compelling numbers that proves what I'm saying.

7--Your post has been challenged and overturned.

It's ok tho, you can attack my post if it makes you feel any better. :laugh:

11 out of 33 times our RB's got hit in the backfield, yet were still able to pick up yards, or at the very least get back to the LOS. That's called "breaking a tackle" :laugh:

That's funny, I call it, "falling forward." lol I can go on all night with this. By the way I'm not attacking your post, just it's content. It was a valiant effort I think, just sends the wrong message.

4) You don't have a clue if any of it is accurate.

5) Never write a check with the next man's checkbook.

6) It's really a shame when someone has to sit there and crunch numbers in an effort find some way to get an unproductive player off the hook. Nice try! The thing about numbers and stats, you can make them say whatever you want. I'm sure I can come up with some more compelling numbers that proves what I'm saying.

Like I said, you right, everything I wrote was "unofficial". But anyone who has a brain can look at the film and just mark it down. That's what I did.

Your just upset because the results favor what me and many other people on this board beleive; not what you beleive.

How hard is it to understand that if you are getting hit in the backfield 33% of the time, your not gonna have good stats? LT, who is the best in the game, would do just as crappy as our RB's behind this O-LINE

I agree, the oline has sucked at times with all the backups in there. I just wonder what a season we would've had if Thomas and Jansen were in there the whole time. The again, looking at the Bills game, Samuels got owned. Come to think of it, Samuels has been underperforming, bu that may be because we have been forced to run it left all the time.

That's funny, I call it, "falling forward." lol I can go on all night with this. By the way I'm not attacking your post, just it's content. It was a valiant effort I think, just sends the wrong message.

Cog, I do respect your opinion, I just happen to disagree with it.

Also, I don't know if you noticed, but these are reflective of ALL running plays. Not just CP's. All of our RB's are having the same result. Common Denominator? The OL

You are spending more money on WRs than we are!

Not for long, Dude. I wonder what Moss is going to ask for to suit up in 2008, especially if he breaks Rice record this season.

I will say this, his agent has a special bottle of champagne for when he does break that record;).

*edit, 2008, :laugh:

Like I said, you right, everything I wrote was "unofficial". But anyone who has a brain can look at the film and just mark it down. That's what I did.

Your just upset because the results favor what me and many other people on this board beleive; not what you beleive.

How hard is it to understand that if you are getting hit in the backfield 33% of the time, your not gonna have good stats? LT, who is the best in the game, would do just as crappy as our RB's behind this O-LINE

I'm sure you noticed that wasn't addressed to you. I think you have a brain of your own.

Archived