Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New driver's license requires birth certificate (and RFID chip)

freakofthesouth

Are you suggesting active RFID chips would be implanted, along with a power supply?

Or are you claiming passive RFID tags have a range of 500m?

I'm not sure WHAT you mean by power supply since they use electromagnetic pulses ( if I'm not mistaken ) to power themselves,,,,

as for 500m range, that is the max range the reading device can detect the chip.

I am referring to this:

human-implantable-rfid-chip_28.jpg

NOT this:

mu-chip_rfid_tag.jpg

You were the one who used the phrase "RFID/global ID card system".

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4573318&postcount=26

Yeah, sorry bout that.....The Global ID, Nat. ID , Real ID is nothing more than a stepping stone for the RFID implant.....

I kinda mixed the two and kept going.......the technically are the same thing, it's just the latter is the one were we taken advantage of. I first one ( real ID ) by itself has merit and fulfills a need.

I'm not sure WHAT you mean by power supply since they use electromagnetic pulses ( if I'm not mistaken ) to power themselves,,,,

as for 500m range, that is the max range the reading device can detect the chip.

I am referring to this:

human-implantable-rfid-chip_28.jpg

NOT this:

mu-chip_rfid_tag.jpg

Yeah, sorry bout that.....The Global ID, Nat. ID , Real ID is nothing more than a stepping stone for the RFID implant.....

I kinda mixed the two and kept going.......the technically are the same thing, it's just the latter is the one were we taken advantage of. I first one ( real ID ) by itself has merit and fulfills a need.

There are three types of RFIDs, some with power supplies internally, some with external batteries, and then the passive ones which are powered by readers. So this could be the confusion. The RFIDs we are talking about are passive I believe.

Passive RFID chips rely on the reader's power source. They have a range of no more than 20 feet, less when skin has to be penetrated. To get anything more, the RFID tag has to have its own power source. It also requires a significant sized antenna.

500m range on a passive tag? I'd have to see some real documentation before I'd believe that.

There are three types of RFIDs, some with power supplies internally, some with external batteries, and then the passive ones which are powered by readers. So this could be the confusion. The RFIDs we are talking about are passive I believe.

I have been talking about the hand chip and him, the ID chip....no biggie.... :laugh:

we were both wondering what the other guy was talking about.... :silly:

Meanwhile, I've got a beast exam tomorrow .....I can't study while this debate is raging.... :cool:

Passive RFID chips rely on the reader's power source. They have a range of no more than 20 feet, less when skin has to be penetrated. To get anything more, the RFID tag has to have its own power source. It also requires a significant sized antenna.

500m range on a passive tag? I'd have to see some real documentation before I'd believe that.

I don't think the technology I am speaking of is passive since they use it for freight monitoring currently......eventually....yeah, of course.....

I WIKI'd RFID real quick and although Wiki is not entirely reliable, it said I believe the semi-passive tags could broadcast that far. And another point I think some people are missing, is that there would have to be at least 3 towers recieving a signal from an RFID in order to locate a chip with any kind of accuracy. With one tower with a range of 30 miles, you're talking over 2700 square miles to search for someone whose RFID tag shows up in that location.

I guess my real point is about the technology itself ... as long as all you're carrying around is an antenna, RFID will never have a range further than a foot or so You only need to start worrying if batteries start to get really small and we can all carry around powered antennas. Then, like bluetooth devices, you'll be detectable from a block away.

Uh, sorry.

I'm not going to whip out the traditional terminology for bovine excreta. (I'm just going to allude to it, in a roundabout manner. :) )

But in any wireless communication, the range is a function of the equipment present at both ends. Improve the technology at either end, and you increase the range.

Improve the transmitter, (or it's antenna), and you put more signal in the air. Improve the receiver, (or it's antenna), and you can pick up a weaker signal. Either way, your range increases.

There are exceptions. For example, if the signal is so weak that it's lost in the background, than a better receiver picks up more signal, but also picks up more background. Depending on the frequency, it's possible that a directional antenna would need to be 20 feet across.

There may be some Natural Law, that I haven't heard of, that says they can't be read from further away. But I'm pretty confident that the presence or absence of a battery doesn't create any absolute limitation.

And barring some natural law, the range is limited only by technology. (And sometimes, technology overcomes what used to be considered a Natural Law.)

they should just make us carry our passport. Then when applying for jobs you got it with you, flying, everything. Every other country uses their passport as their ids, it would make everything so much simpler.

well, technically this is what this new card is. A nearly impossible to forge ultimate card....

Then eventually, a chip that will always be in our skin......

here's an example....

Archived