Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New driver's license requires birth certificate (and RFID chip)

freakofthesouth

http://blog.mlive.com/grpress/2007/12/dig_out_your_birth_certificate.html

New driver's license requires birth certificate

Posted by Kyla King | The Grand Rapids Press December 06, 2007 14:24PM

If you don't know where your birth certificate is, you better find it. Because of new federal ID requirements coming late next year, you're going to need it when your driver's license expires.

That was made even more clear Wednesday when Michigan Secretary of State Terri Lynn Land took a major step in preparing for the change.

Land had two packages of bills introduced on her behalf in the House and Senate that lay the legal groundwork for creating two new versions of the Michigan driver's license.

The first is a standard-issue license with enhanced security features that could be used for domestic air travel because only U.S. citizens, or those legally present in the country, could get it.

The second is an upgraded, optional, and more expensive ID that could be used in lieu of a passport for travel to and from Canada and other Western Hemisphere countries.

"We need to get this in place because the (federal) deadlines are on the horizon," said Land's spokeswoman, Kelly Chesney.

The cost of both new IDs will not be determined until details of the federal law are finalized, but fees will be slightly higher than the current versions because of enhanced security features and the required document

Land is moving forward because it is important to get laws in place so her office has the authority to issue both licenses. Under the federal Real ID Act passed in 2005, state motor vehicle departments are mandated to demand up to four different documents that prove citizenship and residency before issuing a license.

The act also requires all citizens of Western Hemisphere nations that enter the U.S., and all U.S. citizens re-entering the county, to have a passport or special driver's license.

Land has worked out an agreement with the Department of Homeland Security and the Canadian government that, when complete, will allow Michigan residents who frequently travel to and from Canada to use the upgraded version of the state driver's license.

That license will be more expensive because it must contain a radio frequency identification chip, Chesney said.

State Rep. Bill Huizenga, R-Zeeland, said he signed on to co-sponsor the package that authorizes the upgraded license to give people a convenient and less expensive option to getting a passport. It also will keep traffic moving at the Canadian border, he said.

A passport-substituting license that is applicable to 'western hemisphere countries' sure fuels the fire for the NAU debate. Not to mention RFID chips on each new license...

I don't know the facts perfectly... but from what I know, the States run their own DMV's.

I don't see how the Federal Gov't can intervene in that. ??

Maybe someone can correct me.

Ellis, I believe it is all based on the Federal Real ID Act of 2005.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/REAL_ID_Act

http://www.ncsl.org/standcomm/sctran/realidsummary05.htm

All states must comply with this federal legislation. It seems to me that the notion of the 'Real ID' has hit some serious resistance, and rightfully so, IMHO, so this is just another way to ease in the control of our society.

I don't know the facts perfectly... but from what I know, the States run their own DMV's.

I don't see how the Federal Gov't can intervene in that. ??

Maybe someone can correct me.

Same way the feds set speed limits: Do what we tell you, or we'll tax every driver in your state and then hold their money hostage.

I'm very curious about all these chips.

If you have a passport, what exactly does the chip do that the information written on the passport doesn't?

Well, the RFID chip, I would gather, is tracable. Wherever you are, your passport (or topically, your driver's license) is somewhere nearby, so it allows the powers that be to know your whereabouts.

oh, I can comment the heck outta this thread.....

----

The new DL is technically called the real id card, this real id card is a national id that is going to be taken globally. But don't tell any politician that, he'll deny it.....lol

To get this mandatory card you must show your DL and your SS card. The RFIDS is already in passports btw.

The states have until may 15th to get everyone with the card or they will suffer massive fines. Obviously this is impossible financially so the fed. govt said that if they are willing to get it underway in a relatively timely fashion the fed govt will assist in the finances.

After we all have this card, there will be an event of terrorist activity. Radical islam is calling it "the American Hiroshima of 2008" This will then trigger the govt to enforce the RFID chip that will be implanted in the hands of EVERY citizen. This too will be taken globally. They will say it is for product and criminal tracking but it is really a totalitarian government taking control after 60 years of planning.

Without this chip, you can not buy, sell, drive, enter federal buildings, or travel.

This is called independent economic sanctions.

Many people will be killed for the refusal to take this mark.

and unless you have completely have ignored my posts in ALL other threads, everything I've mentioned just now...is in the Bible.

Per Snopes - the RFID portion is an urban legend. Well..part of it is. :D

http://www.snopes.com/politics/traffic/realid.asp

This link falsifies the claim that they will be implanting them in 'drivers' hands.' This article states that the RFID chip will be on the ID itself, just as it is on all new passports.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/25/AR2005102501624.html

oh, I can comment the heck outta this thread.....

----

The new DL is technically called the real id card, this real id card is a national id that is going to be taken globally. But don't tell any politician that, he'll deny it.....lol

To get this mandatory card you must show your DL and your SS card. The RFIDS is already in passports btw.

The states have until may 15th to get everyone with the card or they will suffer massive fines. Obviously this is impossible financially so the fed. govt said that if they are willing to get it underway in a relatively timely fashion the fed govt will assist in the finances.

After we all have this card, there will be an event of terrorist activity. Radical islam is calling it "the American Hiroshima of 2008" This will then trigger the govt to enforce the RFID chip that will be implanted in the hands of EVERY citizen. This too will be taken globally. They will say it is for product and criminal tracking but it is really a totalitarian government taking control after 60 years of planning.

Without this chip, you can not buy, sell, drive, enter federal buildings, or travel.

This is called independent economic sanctions.

Many people will be killed for the refusal to take this mark.

and unless you have completely have ignored my posts in ALL other threads, everything I've mentioned just now...is in the Bible.

I'm with you brice. This is bad stuff, and all of this was eerily layed out for us in part III of 'Zeitgeist the movie.' Folks can laugh about it, we can be accused of having tin-foil hats or whatever...but it's not gonna be funny when these things actually happen, which apparently will be the case here in the forseeable future.

This link falsifies the claim that they will be implanting them in 'drivers' hands.' This article states that the RFID chip will be on the ID itself, just as it is on all new passports.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/25/AR2005102501624.html

and I have about 10 million links that they will be in peoples hands......

wanna see how?

Find out where the chip is and remove it.

Or put it in a wallet that doesn't transmit RF.

Or perhaps, given that RFID is, as the OP said "optional", means you won't have to carry one at all.

REAL ID has many flaws, but being spied on without your permission isn't one of them.

Anyone care to comment on the passport-substituting mechanism being established for 'Canada, and other Western Hemisphere countries' in relation to the North American Union? Is there any denying the obvious correlation between the two?

You mean returning us to the way things were a few years ago, when you didn't need a passport to go to Canada or Mexico? I do remember that as being a very scary time indeed.

Archived