Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Deions pre game comments

New

I hadnt seen this discussed. Did anybody else catch the comments by Deion Sanders in that he got the impression this was a team divided into two units. Offense and Defense. He made a comment something to the effect that when the team takes flights, if the instructions are to wear coat and tie, the D will do so and O will not. Not sure if he was referring to a specific instance or just using it as an anology.

I know often "up here" Teams are very much unit distinguished, but his comments seemed to take it a little further than that. Insinuating that the SKINS were divided well beyond the football field.

All of this was in relation to a discussion about Joe Gibbs, his future, the timeout mistake at the end of the bills game, his apparent lack of knowledge about starting the game with 10 men on the field and the state of the organization. Thoughts?

:gaintsuck :gaintsuck :gaintsuck :gaintsuck :gaintsuck :gaintsuck

Agreed. Although he seems to be able to get players to discuss topics that others beit pure journalist/media types or former coaches cant get the pulse of. I certainly hope its just elephants coming out his *****, but given the season, and even the fanbases apparent lack of patience for Gibbs, I listened thinking he could be speaking the truth. Would certainly suck, but not something a W over the gints wouldnt fix!!!

It was more of an analogy. He wasn't referring specifically to the Redskins.

I half heard the flight comment, so it took me by surprise. Thx for clarifying. That of all that was said was the most disturbing if true.

He did pick the Skins to win..

Yes, he picked us over the Bears, which is like picking a nickel over four cents. If he'd picked us over the Cowboys, then I'd show some love.

But Deion, as dumb as he is, does have a point about us having two teams with the same uniform. Sometimes our offense clicks. Sometimes our defense clicks. For six quarters, Lions/second half of the Bears, they both clicked.

If only Taylor were still here and we got them both to click next year. Lombardi.

:(

This team has always been criticized for the division of the two units. I mean the media to me has always taken this issue way out of context, especially when the team is slumping. I could be wrong but didn't GW not even know about the ten man formation? I thought that was something the players decided to do, it was even rumored all week that they may do that, so I guess the coaches shouldn't have been to surprised.

Honestly I could really care less how this team divides its two units as long as they keep winning it doesn't matter, and with how the team has been slumping sometimes a change in preparation is the best thing to do.

You know I honestly think there might be more to it then just an analogy. This team doesn't seem divided? Last year we were informed that the safeties didn't meet with the CB's. We've heard from numerous players that they don't know the reasons the coaches aren't playing them. Dan Snyder chartered three planes, one for the players, O-coaches and D-coaches to allow the coaches to work on the gameplan to and from the funeral. Why the division? Why the apparent lack of communication? I know football is a business but damn it's a TEAM sport. If you don't live and die as a team you'll never be successful. We've been hearing little stories here and there for the past few years that seem to support Deion's claim. I wouldn't brush it off as Deion being Deion. There's probably a little more truth to it than we know.

Even Carter talked about how it was like the third game of his first season and he still hadn't talked to several of the "star" players on offense. WTF? I'm in a shop of 75 people and I knew everybody within a few weeks. You think this is normal for most teams in the NFL?

Why the division? Because offensive and defensive coaches on the same plane talking over each other isn't at all time efficient.

You don't think they all met together when they finally had a chance?

These guys probably meet in different rooms all the time.

Is it a big deal when the DL meets separately from the LBs and the LBs meet separate from the DBs and the DBs meet separately from the OL and the OL separate from the WR who are separate from the QB who are separate from the backs?

They all come together at some point. Football is a game where you MUST break it down before you can put it all together, otherwise there's ALOT of wasted time.

wow I also caught only half but thought he was referring to Coach Gibbs being to soft on the players and GW has his side of the team in check. From the little I heard and from the postgame comments from Portis who mentioned this team had to much talent to hear about how "close and tough this game wil be" and we kept coach out of the locker room, you can't help "at least for me" feel this was the case. Afterall the subject was JG's future.

I think it's an overstatement. We've seen divided teams before. Divided teams wind up bickering about the other side letting them down and getting in scuffles. When was the last time you saw a Defensive player take a verbal swipe at someone on the O and vice versa.

Actually, Pittsburgh has that distinction.
I think the Chargers are right up there too.

:laugh: :laugh:

Don't you just love it when people say that we are the MOST (fill in the blank)? The Redskins are far from the worst team in the NFL or the most inconsistent. It just seems that way because you pay no REAL attention to what's happening elsewhere.

As for "division" within the team, I'm not buying what Deion may or may not be selling.

Why the division? Because offensive and defensive coaches on the same plane talking over each other isn't at all time efficient.

You don't think they all met together when they finally had a chance?

These guys probably meet in different rooms all the time.

Is it a big deal when the DL meets separately from the LBs and the LBs meet separate from the DBs and the DBs meet separately from the OL and the OL separate from the WR who are separate from the QB who are separate from the backs?

They all come together at some point. Football is a game where you MUST break it down before you can put it all together, otherwise there's ALOT of wasted time.

Come on K-Dawg, you're being a little ridiculus here. An entirely different plane? Talking over one another. You make it seem like they're trading stocks at wall street. It's coaches preparing for a game, how much talking over each other do you think is going on?

It is a big deal when the DL, LB, CB and safeties meet seperately. How can you think it's not? They play as a unit, they play off one another. If the right hand doesn't know what the left hands doing how can you expect them to be on the same page? The "Friend" article pointed out the safeties and CB's meeting seperately last year and it was obvious seldom if ever was the secondary on the same page. Even if they meet seperately you still have to have some team integrity.

I don't care if they're on the same side of the ball or not. The team has to be like a family with the same pulse. If you're playing divided how do you expect to win the games where you have to dig down deep to make the plays necessary to hold on to a second half lead? Oh yea, we can't seem to do that. I guess it's just the coaches fault, that's always the easy way out. Or is Brunell's fault, or CP? Everyone on here including myself like to point fingers from time to time. If fingers can be pointed to individuals why not the entire team? Don't you think a lack of comradire could be a huge problem?

K-Dawg I know you've played team sports before. How important was the "team" compared to individual players? I would have never been able to finish the tasks given to me in Iraq this past summer if my guys didn't come together as a team. A good team has the ability to mask the shortcoming of individuals while tapping into their strengths. You learn each other tendancies and start functioning as a unit. Taking these characteristics into consideration what seems to be wrong with our team?

Come on K-Dawg, you're being a little ridiculus here. An entirely different plane? Talking over one another. You make it seem like they're trading stocks at wall street. It's coaches preparing for a game, how much talking over each other do you think is going on?

It is a big deal when the DL, LB, CB and safeties meet seperately. How can you think it's not? They play as a unit, they play off one another. If the right hand doesn't know what the left hands doing how can you expect them to be on the same page? The "Friend" article pointed out the safeties and CB's meeting seperately last year and it was obvious seldom if ever was the secondary on the same page. Even if they meet seperately you still have to have some team integrity.

I don't care if they're on the same side of the ball or not. The team has to be like a family with the same pulse. If you're playing divided how do you expect to win the games where you have to dig down deep to make the plays necessary to hold on to a second half lead? Oh yea, we can't seem to do that. I guess it's just the coaches fault, that's always the easy way out. Or is Brunell's fault, or CP? Everyone on here including myself like to point fingers from time to time. If fingers can be pointed to individuals why not the entire team? Don't you think a lack of comradire could be a huge problem?

K-Dawg I know you've played team sports before. How important was the "team" compared to individual players? I would have never been able to finish the tasks given to me in Iraq this past summer my guys didn't come together as a team. A good team has the ability to mask the shortcoming of individuals while tapping into their strengths. You learn each other tendancies and start functioning as a unit. Taken these characteristics into consideration what seems to be wrong with our team?

I'm not discounting the value of team, bud.

What I am saying is I've NEVER been on a team that didn't meet separately by position.

When I walked on to play college ball (before I tore my achilles) and I was playing OLB, we all met in separate rooms for positional meetings.

Us LBs weren't with the DL at first. We'd meet individually as a unit. Then we'd all come together as a defense, and then as a full team later on.

I've never seen a team that DIDN'T do that. It's just the way things work, and the most time efficient strategy out there. Besides, what does the DL care about strategies the DBs are using? The only thing the DL cares about is knowing what the DBs are responsible for, not necessarily the process. That's what gets talked about when the defense comes together.

It was the same process in high school.

And we (I coach now, going into my fourth year) do it the same way. I don't know of many teams that don't.

The TEAM is the most important thing. But meeting individually doesn't mean you're divided.

I can't even understand what Deion is saying half the time. Why these broadcasts persist in force-feeding us star-athlete commentators who can't construct even remotely coherent sentences or ideas is beyond me. Deion somehow manages to get away with this because disguises his inane comments behind a mask of smiling bravado and passion.

My fav Deion moment during the Skins-Bears pregame was when, during the course of an awkward attempt to compare Dan Synder's love for Sean Taylor with the Hawks' owner's love for Michael Vick, he said with all sincerity that the owners had great "resentments" for their players. :doh:

You try to teach kids that it's important to learn how to communicate effectively and speak proper English to get ahead in life and then multi-millionaire celebrities like Deion, Emmit, Shannon Sharpe, etc. undermine that with their babbling streams of nonsense in pigeon English.

I'm not discounting the value of team, bud.

What I am saying is I've NEVER been on a team that didn't meet separately by position.

When I walked on to play college ball (before I tore my achilles) and I was playing OLB, we all met in separate rooms for positional meetings.

Us LBs weren't with the DL at first. We'd meet individually as a unit. Then we'd all come together as a defense, and then as a full team later on.

I've never seen a team that DIDN'T do that. It's just the way things work, and the most time efficient strategy out there. Besides, what does the DL care about strategies the DBs are using? The only thing the DL cares about is knowing what the DBs are responsible for, not necessarily the process. That's what gets talked about when the defense comes together.

It was the same process in high school.

And we (I coach now, going into my fourth year) do it the same way. I don't know of many teams that don't.

The TEAM is the most important thing. But meeting individually doesn't mean you're divided.

This isn't what we keep hearing though. The DB/Safety thing last year was portrayed as "division" and not just routine. We're constantly hearing from players that there isn't clear communication from the coaches down to their level. Gibbs not knowing about the 10 man formation. How do you not know that? Carter talking about three months into a season (to include camp) not yet talking to guys on the other side of the ball.

I played DL in High School and yes we drilled seperate but there was still team unity/integrity. From all these little snippets you hear coming out of Redskin Park it certainly makes you wonder how united this team is. With the talent and quality coaches we have shouldn't we be a hell of a lot better? Coudn't a team divided be a pretty good reason why we're not getting W's? The players damn sure aren't going to speak out, look what happens when they do. To the dog house biatches!

I just hope as sad as it may be that ST's death unites this team and helps them over come whatever it is that continues to make us fall short. Like I've said time and time again. I love to win but I'm somewhat okay with losing as long as we play hard and don't look like fools on the football field. You know what I mean? Lose knocking them in the teeth for 60 minutes that's all I ask for. Play as a team damnit.

Archived