Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Heart of a Redskin

Teller

Certainly 6-7 is not where we expected to be, 13 games into Joe Gibbs fourth season back at the helm of our beloved Redskins, but it's where we are.

Sure, we're disappointed. But we're also still hopeful, as with three games to play, we're still in the playoff hunt. That's why today you see loyal Redskin fans posting all of the "if-thens" as far as the playoff chase goes. That's the heart of a true Redskin fan. We never, EVER give up.

This season, we've been able to take our cues from this team, and our head coach, about the virtues of persistence and dedication; even when things seem hopeless. There have been countless times that I've looked at our team and thought, "How can they overcome this?" or "How can that guy even think about football right now?"

This thread is dedicated to them.

Here's what I'd like to do guys. For each player/coach/fan/whoever you name, please begin with "(Person's name) showed the Heart of a Redskin when he/she...."

Feel free to honor the same person someone else did. Think of these as something akin to game balls, but on a bigger scale. These "awards" are for the people that have shown a bigger commitment, and more true heart than they might get credit for.

This is a serious thread, and a tribute to people who have earned our respect this season. Please try to avoid sarcastic/smartass remarks. There are plenty of other places for those. Thank you!

I respectfully submit for the record:

Joe Gibbs showed the Heart of a Redskin by leading this team through the adversity of losing a teammate and a friend, by continuing the fight when others would have walked away, and by always accepting blame but deflecting credit.

Shawn Springs showed the Heart of a Redskin by taking the field week after week as his father lay in a coma. He further showed the Heart of a Redskin by playing through injury, including this week when he wasn't supposed to play, and arguably played his best game of the season.

Randy Thomas showed the Heart of a Redskin by not going on injured reserve with a torn bicep, but rather fighting back to play again and help his team. (Get well big man.)

Gregg Williams showed the Heart of a Redskin by simply wanting Sean "to be alright." The love Coach Williams had for ST was easy to see, as the coach forgot all about Sean being his favorite player, and showed his love for one of his favorite people.

The Redskins' defense showed the Heart of a Redskin by taking the field with 10 men on the opening play of the Bills game. London Fletcher said it best, when he said that statement was wrong. And for those of us at FedEx that night, we too know that Sean was there.

The entire Redskins' organization showed the Heart of a Redskin by beating the Bears Thursday night. The week was short enough without having to bury their friend. The fact that they overcame the odds, went back to work, and notched a "W" is truly impressive. I know Sean would be proud.

Stephon Heyer showed the Heart of a Redskin by stepping in for one of our favorites, Jon Jansen, in the Miami game, and helping to plow the way for quite a day on the ground. Heyer further shows the Heart of a Redskin by continuing to perform at a high level, despite the fact that no one thought he was worth drafting.

Lorenzo Alexander showed the Heart of a Redskin by doing every single thing he's been asked to do. The big man has played offense, defense and special teams, and never gets his name called. That's an indication that he's not making mistakes. His value to this team cannot be overestimated.

AND...

Sean Taylor showed the Heart of a Redskin by laying down his life to protect his family. What greater love and bigger heart is there than that? God bless him and keep him forever.

Fred Smoot showed the heart of a Redskin when he returned to the game after vommitting blood because he wanted or needed to win and honor Sean so strongly. In pain, with a warning sign that's very frightening, he gutted out a game, made a great play and led us to victory.

When he left the game, he had some kind of stomach virus or injury. They carted him off and I heard that when he vommitted there was blood. In any case, when he left the Bears' O came to life. He took it upon himself to say, I'm good enough and re-entered the game in the late fourth quarter.

When he left the game, he had some kind of stomach virus or injury. They carted him off and I heard that when he vommitted there was blood. In any case, when he left the Bears' O came to life. He took it upon himself to say, I'm good enough and re-entered the game in the late fourth quarter.

Wow. I heard on the radio on the way to work that he "left with an injury." I figured it was an ankle or something. Damn. Vomitting blood can be a symptom of SO many things, that's truly impressive to come back. If that's not heart, I don't know what is.

I love that guy. I always have. I snapped a shot of him at the Vikes game last year, because he was one of my favorite Skins the first time around. I'm so glad he's back. I got choked up again when I saw him speak after the Bills game. He basically said, "We wanted to win this game as a tribute to Sean, but we found a way to screw it up."

I guess he was bound and determined to make sure they didn't do it again. (Even though I think he was too hard on himself after the Buffalo game.) Dude is 100% Redskin. As far as I'm concerned, that Minny thing never happened.

I read this in two articles, I think. I don't remember specifically where. I thought the same thing. They also didn't say how much. I think I even saw it in a Post article this morning.

Who knows, maybe it was just a nasty punch to the kidneys?

The post article says there was blood in his vomit........which is different than vomiting blood.

He states he is feeling better. Maybe just an irritated esophogus.....leading to the blood in the vomit.

Anyway........back on track.

ROCK shows the heart of a REDSKIN each and every game. He pushes himself, completes every play, and does everything he has every been asked to do for this team.

ROCK shows the heart of a REDSKIN each and every game. He pushes himself, completes every play, and does everything he has every been asked to do for this team.

Good call, Blondie. I'm embarassed for not including him in my original post. :doh:

I think it was praise_gibbs that had something in his sig that said, "Get your hearts right, like Rock Cartwright." And ain't that the truth.

:cheers:

The post article says there was blood in his vomit........which is different than vomiting blood.

He states he is feeling better. Maybe just an irritated esophogus.....leading to the blood in the vomit.

Anyway........back on track.

Not the article I read.

By the fourth quarter, one Redskins starting cornerback, Fred Smoot, was throwing up blood in the locker room, watching on television as the Redskins attempted to hold onto their lead.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/12/07/AR2007120700197_pf.html

For each player/coach/fan/whoever you name, please begin with "(Person's name) showed the Heart of a Redskin when he/she...."

Think of these as something akin to game balls, but on a bigger scale. These "awards" are for the people that have shown a bigger commitment, and more true heart than they might get credit for.

This is a serious thread, and a tribute to people who have earned our respect this season. Thank you!

Fans: I can't think of anybody who deserves a game ball more than Pez and Huly. Not to discount the many others who have selflessly contributed, but the two that stand out have to be Pez and Huly. Besides arranging and contributing to the ES tailgate game in and game out, their coordination of the ST vigils at Redskins park -- contributing both time AND money (and I'm talking about hundreds and hundreds of dollars here), and arranging for an ES member to meet Chief Zee in Miami for the funeral, the arranging of charitable contributions of tickets for members of our armed forces, etc., etc., the list goes on and on.

Mods: All the mods are great, but the one that stands out for me this season is TK. He has been the one consistently in the trenches doing the maintenance required to keep this board afloat. Does he sleep? He seems to be permanently logged on regardless of the day and hour, moderating with efficiency and keen judgement usually combined with humor. I really don't know how he keeps up with it all.

Great thread Jason. Thanks!

JAMES THRASH showed the Heart of a Redskin each and every time he has stepped onto the field for the Redskins, always giving his all and being one of the most clutch players we have, whether it is stepping in and returning kicks or getting that crucial 1st down catch.

Clinton Portis showed the Heart of a Redskin by continuing to fight for each and every yard he gains, with a heavy heart and little room to run, many players may have just given up. Thank you Clinton, for the heart that you have, the determination that you have, and the will to win that you pass on to each one of your teammates.

And someone who is left out,

Todd Collins showed the Heart of a Redskin by being ready to play. For someone to play the way he did after such a long time, it shows a lot by the way he was mentally prepared to play. Thank you, TC, for never getting discouraged even when you have been a career backup. We may joke about you, but you have done nothing but work hard and give us everything you've got.

Shawn Springs shows the heart of a Redskin everyday he gets out of the bed. He lost a teammate and his father is very ill. Plus he has the media questioning his skills. And he stills find the guts to prove them wrong.

Amen. Very well said, my friend.

God bless Shawn, his dad, and his friend. :cheers:

Chris Cooley shows the heart of a Redskin by being not afraid to go over the middle for a catch, always holding onto the ball and giving that extra effort for added yards after contact. He also showed the heart of a Redskin when returning to the field in Thursday night's game after limping off and getting X-Rays.

Archived