Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Laverneus Coles

FROSTY28

If Spurrier wants a speed receiver so bad, why don't we just go after him. He's young, fast, very productive, and would be a perfect fit for the fun n gun. He's a restricted free agent and would either cost us a first or a first and third round draft choice, depending on the tender offer the Jets make him. That may sound like a lot, but it would cost us far more to move up enough to draft Rogers or Johnson, two unproven commodities.

Of course, trading for a solid proven player probably isn't sexy enough for the Danny.

If the skins ante up, Coles can go wherever he wants. As long as we don't trade the farm to move up to draft Johnson or Rogers, I'll be happy. Take the best d-lineman on the board at 13, then draft the fastest receiver on the board in the second round.

Coles was a second rounder yet we are supposed to be willing to give up a first and 3rd for him instead of using the draft after the first round to develop our own?

Comeon now we arent that much in dire straight if we resign D Thompson and wisely pursue second tier speed guys in the draft or in FA

I'm a big fan of Coles. He would be a great speed guy for us. He really had a breakout year - last year, but as mentioned, I think the Jets will hold on to him and bringing in a new big-name Draftee WR to develop Fresh under the Ball Coachs system would be exciting now and later. A WR corp of R.Gardner, Big Name/Speedy Draftee, FA Vet, Cilff Russell, and (Thompson/Mcants) would be good for me.

Originally posted by Skins56

Everyone's forgetting that we're looking for a playmaker at receiver, not just someone who's fast. We're looking for someone who can break tackles and gain 10-20 yards after the catch. That's what we're going to need to move the ball effectively.

Sounds a LOT like David Boston.

Yeah, Coles was drafted in the second round, but he's proven to be a better player than the majority of guys drafted ahead of him. Look at the history of the draft (especially our history); the odds of Rogers or Johnson or Jacobs being as good as Coles in the NFL are less than fifty percent.

Westbook, JJ Stokes, Desmond Howard, the list goes on an on.

Originally posted by FROSTY28

Yeah, Coles was drafted in the second round, but he's proven to be a better player than the majority of guys drafted ahead of him. Look at the history of the draft (especially our history); the odds of Rogers or Johnson or Jacobs being as good as Coles in the NFL are less than fifty percent.

I disagree with part of this. By all accounts, Rogers is destined to be a probowler. He's comparable to only Randy Moss. Johnson is not far behind. Yes, Jacobs is a bit of a gamble, but the other two guys are as close to a sure thing as you're going to find in the draft.

Guest SkinsHokie Fan

I would love for us to try and make a move for Coles. I would be more then willing to part with Smoot (from whats been discussed Bauman would be a very solid replacement) to bring in a Lavernous Coles or someone of his stature. I still do not like trading for the number 2 pick

I don't understand why everyone is so down on Smoot. Let's give him two years in the same system before we get rid of him. And come on, Rashad Bauman? Even if he could replace Smoot, and I saw no evidence of that this past season, who's our third corner? The fact is, you need three solid corners in today's NFL, and if we trade Smooty we won't even have two.

Instead of keeping solid, inexpensive players, Snyder keeps going after expensive free agents or sexy draft picks; it hasn't worked yet and I don't think things are going to change. I mean, we could have resigned Shawn Barber last year for far, far less money than we gave Trotter and the defense wouldn't have missed a beat (and just think what we could do with all that money we would have saved). I love the skins dearly, and I want to give Snyder and company the benefit of the doubt, but when are they going to learn?

I don't understand why everyone is so down on Smoot. Let's give him two years in the same system before we get rid of him. And come on, Rashad Bauman? Even if he could replace Smoot, and I saw no evidence of that this past season, who's our third corner? The fact is, you need three solid corners in today's NFL, and if we trade Smooty we won't even have two.

Instead of keeping solid, inexpensive players, Snyder keeps going after expensive free agents or sexy draft picks; it hasn't worked yet and I don't think things are going to change. I mean, we could have resigned Shawn Barber last year for far, far less money than we gave Trotter and the defense wouldn't have missed a beat (and just think what we could do with all that money we would have saved). I love the skins dearly, and I want to give Snyder and company the benefit of the doubt, but when are they going to learn?

You took the words right out of my...er...fingers.

Yes, and they said the same thing about Westbrook and every other receiver drafted in the top ten the last 20 years. More often than not, it doesn't happen.

No, actually that's not even close to being true. There hasn't been a receiver as highly regarded as Rogers in years. He backs up all the hype.

I disagree with part of this. By all accounts, Rogers is destined to be a probowler. He's comparable to only Randy Moss. Johnson is not far behind. Yes, Jacobs is a bit of a gamble, but the other two guys are as close to a sure thing as you're going to find in the draft.

I can't see how Rogers can be destined to be anything. He's a rookie, no one knows how he'll turn out. I remember two years ago people were talking about David Terrell being a future pro-bowler. Too bad he can't crack the starting spot for the Bears.

He was the first reciever chosen, and the next 4 recievers chosen have outplayed him so far in his pro career. Yet every one of those teams who've chosen him if they were in the Bears position.

Bottomline, the draft is a crap shoot. Although the extensive scouting may help a team figure out who's the best prospect, they will never be sure to find a guaranteed playmaker.

Originally posted by Gamebreaker

I can't see how Rogers can be destined to be anything. He's a rookie, no one knows how he'll turn out. I remember two years ago people were talking about David Terrell being a future pro-bowler. Too bad he can't crack the starting spot for the Bears.

He was the first reciever chosen, and the next 4 recievers chosen have outplayed him so far in his pro career. Yet every one of those teams who've chosen him if they were in the Bears position.

Bottomline, the draft is a crap shoot. Although the extensive scouting may help a team figure out who's the best prospect, they will never be sure to find a guaranteed playmaker.

I think the case is different with Rogers. He has undeniable talent, and where some guys are speed guys and some are big, posession types, he's both. And he's better than anyone else in both of these categories. Barring injury, he'll be an asset to any team.

Obviously, ANYTHING could happen to any one of the prospects.

But, Charles Rogers is probably the prospect MOST LIKELY to live up to the hype.

The comparisons to Moss are legit although he doesn't quite have his 7th gear.

As Joel B said "He's loud, ****y, and immature but super-competitive."

I think his only faults are that he is a showboat. But at least he'll go hard on every down and that's more than I can say about Moss.

If you are not a believer, all you really have to do is watch a tape of the Notre Dame game and see him abuse one of the top defensive backfields in the country. The bigger the game the better he is.

He'll be hard for Detroit to pass on.

I think the case is different with Rogers. He has undeniable talent, and where some guys are speed guys and some are big, posession types, he's both. And he's better than anyone else in both of these categories. Barring injury, he'll be an asset to any team.

I don't think anyone is an exception, especially at reciever. There is more to being big and fast to play at this level. Playbooks are more complicated, the opposition is way more talented, the attention to detail is increased substanially. Whether a player can step up to the challenge and conquer these challenges has little to do with his 40 time or size.

Rod Smith wasn't even drafted, yet he's a Pro-Bowler and one of the most productive recievers in the game today.

Archived