Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Todd Collins: Future Coach?

UltimateSkinFan616

After seeing Collins play yesteday, I think it's safe to say that he has the knowledge and skill to be in the NFL. Sure, he's been a backup most of his life, but the man knows how to run a system and that's invaluable in the NFL.

Unfortunately, he's getting up there in terms of years and we all know his days are numbered. But that only makes you wonder if he'll stay in the game of football, if not as a player then definately as a coach. I can definitely see him starting off as a quarterback coach or something. His experience in learning Al Saunder's offense should give him a clear edge there. And if he can impart just a bit of that knowledge to an up and coming QB like Jason Campbell, then we've got a valuable key tool on the sidelines.

If I recall, Collin's contract ends after this year. And if he plays well enough, some other team out there in need of a QB like the Falcons may call him up. But seeing as how he's grown up in the Al Saunders system, we may keep him just for insurance. If he chooses to retire, then maybe he could come on board as a coach to Campbell and whoever else may come to the team.

Anybody else like that idea? Some players go on to be great coaches like John Madden and Tony Dungee. Could Todd Collins be the next? And if so, should the Redskins get on the ground floor? I think so. What about you? :gaintsuck

Todd Collins as coach would be full of awesome!

But seriously, there's no way for us to know until he becomes some sort of assitant first. Obviously he'll start as a QB coach, then move up to OC, and then to HC if that career path is in the cards for him. Right now, I'm just concerned with how well he does starting in place of JC.

I was just saying that in another thread, the way our coaches talk about him, Collins could become a great coach after he retires. As for another team signing him, I think his value as a player diminishes significantly outside of the Saunders system so it is probably in his best interests to stay here if we want him.

Hey if others like Garrett and Kubiak can do it, why not?

Funny I've heard people ask if Brunell might be QB coach next year if he's not kept on the roster (assumes Bill Lazor would move up I guess).

Is it possible we could actually have a "Quarterbacks Coach Controversy"?

You heard it here first (as far as I know)...

I'd love to have him onboard as a coach, sort of like Garrett with the Cowboys. Garrett was a backup to Aikman and has a lot of knowledge about offense.

yeah, the same thing crossed my mind. start him off as a qb coach, or maybe let him call a preseason game next year or somethin.

I've been saying it since we've signed him, he should be a QB coach when he leaves and we have to hire him. Technically, Saunders can groom him to be the next OC and from the few times I've met the guy, this guy is freakin smart.

Gotta ask...

freakin smart > super smart

or

super smart > freakin smart

Hey if others like Garrett and Kubiak can do it, why not?

Funny I've heard people ask if Brunell might be QB coach next year if he's not kept on the roster (assumes Bill Lazor would move up I guess).

Is it possible we could actually have a "Quarterbacks Coach Controversy"?

You heard it here first (as far as I know)...

I would rather have Brunell for another year, his contract isn't up like Collins' so we dont have to resign him for more money.

As of the QB Coach Controversy, I'm sure we'd benefit from having both. I just watched an old game of the Jags against Baltimore and god damn I now understand why Gibbs liked him - too bad he didnt emulate any of it here.

It was one good game people. It doesn't mean he's a starter or the coach. Slow down.

it's been a lot of craziness on this board, but a lot of people actually have been sayin he should be a coach since before the season started.

Well, if it wasn't for Jason Garrett and you guys looking for a miracle like the Cowgirls found in Jason, this thread would not have come up.

If TC sucks during the last 3 games, then what?

then people might say he needs to retire and become a coach.

Archived