Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Only a Joe Gibbs Coached Team Could've Won Lastnight

KingGibbs

Do people realize what just happened lastnight? Do people realize that this team just buried their teammate and friend just three days earlier? So many people are focusing on the negatives and not realizing what just happened lastnight.

I saw a team come out determined to win despite having all odds stacked against them. I saw a team have players come in and fill-in admirably when their teammate go down. I saw a team who were playing on nothing but pure will, determination and adrenaline.

Think about what happened lastnight people.

I've already mentioned what they were dealing with in regards to the Taylor tragedy, but let's look at the adversity they were facing on the field.

1.Jason Campbell goes out in the second quarter due to an injury.

2.They bring in a cold QB literally and figuratively speaking whom has not thrown a pass in what seems an eternity.

3.They start what is now their third RT of the season.

4.They start a RG who hasn't played since week two and have to go back to Fabini.

5.Cooley leaves the game for a while due to injury.

6.They lose yet another starting corner for a good portion of the game.

7.Laron Landry is moved to FS and Doughty to SS.

The list goes on.

As the play clock expired lastnight I didn't yell or scream in jubilation. I sat their in silence at what I just witnessed.

I just witnessed a team defy the odds and win a game they had no business winning due to the distractions presented to them.

People will criticize Joe Gibbs and it may be justified some of the time, but this might of been coach Gibbs best game as a head coach. I don't mean in terms of X's and O's, but in terms of having a team ready to play with the resolve and passion that they did lastnight.

This is why so many of us love Joe Gibbs and only a Joe Gibbs team could've won, indeed.

Great post ! I am in total agreement with you. Reading some of the other replies left on your thread leave a little to be desired. The Bears were fighting for the playoffs, same as us. Knocking their QB out in the first quarter, yep it happened but he was replaced with a young QB who has started a lot of games in his career and this season not to mention he was a pro bowl QB. I'm not saying that he is great but he is a very solid back-up and possibly better then their starter.

I am ashamed that some people on here would say the things that they say. I know...I know...go ahead and tell me to stay off the site or some other inciteful defensive personal attack but it's the truth. The Skins went out there and played hard, the caching was good and the calls were good. To say that they don't trust Gibbs is crap! To say that they didn't even partially play for Gibbs is crap also. Yes, Portis said that they distracted Gibbs during half time, not the pre-game, becase they didn't want to hear the "It's a close game and we are still in it" speech, SO WHAT ! Gibbs has made it very clear to the team and to the public that he is allowing the guys to manage themselves through this tragedy and giving them the freedom to do what they need to. This is just an example of Gibbs doing the right thing, the right thing for the guys not the players, after all that is still the most important thing right now.

The haters (bandwagon fans) are welcome to point out the previous losses and poor play prior to Taylor's death, but I wouldn't do that either until you do your homework. Stop being the blinded fan who doesn't see the big picture and display an ignorance when it comes to the game football.

Ha! this is a funny post.....and only Joe Gibbs 2.0 can give up half time leads the way we do.....LOL! Give me a break, the players won this game....Gibbs finally decided to throw it and keep scoring instead of burning the clock....let's try and ease our praise of this man

Seeing as only 1 of those blown "leads" was by more than a TD, I'd say try dredging up a better stat then the one that gets repeated here ad nauseum, yet is never researched.

Gibbs going for it on 4th down in the redzone in other games this season was burning the clock? Gibbs benefited from the fact TC didn't have to drive all the way down the field like JC had to do.

Let's try and ease the "criticism" of this man. Do we really need to see the same, unclever insults about Gibbs in multiple threads and posts? Just like last season, nobody wants to look at the bright spots of an injury-riddled team, you all would rather kick this team in the gut while they're down from the ST tragedy, then admit you are all going to whine and cry regardless of what the team does.

And we're supposed to expect an unbiased view from you on Gibbs when you insult him in your sig?

Normally when the team keeps it "players only" the coaches aren't criticized. Oh, but now that all of you hate Gibbs it is his fault. The OP has a point in that Gibbs personality is helping in this team through a difficult time. You don't know what they're going through, none of us do. So pretending you know what's going on internally with the Skins (and all your statements are assumptions) and trying to pass it as fact is BS. The Skins did overcome a lot of odds last night, and to pretend their head coach had nothing to do with it, simply because the head coach is the center of everyone's hissy fit right now, is pretty ****ing lame.

I think I made it pretty clear that the team doesn't like his "personality" when it comes to his role as a head coach. They might like him, think he's a nice guy, etc. But they also know he is costing them games. I provided a lot of evidence to support my statements, and you provide the typical blind faith hogwash that Gibbs supporters have been trying to spoon feed me for 4 miserable years. I won't buy it. You are giving me the assumptions, I am giving you the facts. Have a nice day.

I think I made it pretty clear that the team doesn't like his "personality" when it comes to his role as a head coach. They might like him, think he's a nice guy, etc. But they also know he is costing them games. I provided a lot of evidence to support my statements, and you provide the typical blind faith hogwash that Gibbs supporters have been trying to spoon feed me for 4 miserable years. I won't buy it. You are giving me the assumptions, I am giving you the facts. Have a nice day.

Get it through your thick skull that we are referring to lastnight's game!!!!

You are so ****ing clueless.

If you want to provide "evidence" in regards to Gibbs start another thread. But, my first argument will be the -9 TO ratio. :)

What FACT ?????????????

You said they kicked him in the locker room prior to the game....NOT EVEN TRUE !!!!

Check my post in this thread for the facts and a theory as to why, after all your "FACT" as to why is afterall just an opinion as well.

Are you guys clueless? I was referring to lastnight's game and last night's game only. Did you not read where I said criticism of Joe is justified in other games?

Don't waste your time.

The whiners and Gibbs bashers on this board are unhappy we won last night.

They pay light one or two sentence lip service and say they are "glad" the Redskins won, but as you can see in this thread, they really aren't.

They've already decided we are out of the playoffs. So they want the team to lose the rest of its games. They figure that strengthens the idea that Gibbs has to go and the team needs to be blown up.

Which is what they want. :)

In their minds, every victory makes that more unlikely.

I say don't bother with them. They have their little agenda, and you won't get any satisfaction from them.

i personally think it had to do more with the players than Gibbs. THe players really needed this win and the players got it not gibbs.

Funny, I thought it was Gibbs calling those plays. Oh wait, we won, so everyone is telling me it was Saunders who called the plays. Anyways, the whole team needed this win. You don't think Gibbs and GW are just as affected by ST's death as the players are? Gibbs is the head coach, and his team won despite a rash of injuries in the game. That is called game management, making proper adjustments. If the players really needed a win, why did the O-line look abysmal yet again until the end of the game when the Bears weren't blitzing TC very often? Just because people are dissatisfied with Gibbs doesn't mean you can take credit away from where it is due. That is classless, and Gibbs at the very least deserves our respect. Sadly, most on here would rather disrespect Joe by changing their sigs to lame attempts at clever insults of Joe Gibbs, rather than just express criticism in a conversation. When you are throwing out insults, and basing arguments off of assumptions, you are no longer "criticizing" because criticism still means there is a level of respect there. Just like with every other person on the "hot seat" you all disrespectfully bash and insult, while hiding behind a veil of "I'm just being realistic." Joe Gibbs is respectful to his players, even when they don't live up to expectations. He is the definition of class, and most of you on here can't even fathom the level of class and respect this man operates on, which is why you can't appreciate it, nor return it.

Don't waste your time.

The whiners and Gibbs bashers on this board are unhappy we won last night.

They pay light one or two sentence lip service and say they are "glad" the Redskins won, but as you can see in this thread, they really aren't.

They've already decided we are out of the playoffs. So they want the team to lose the rest of its games. They figure that strengthens the idea that Gibbs has to go and the team needs to be blown up.

Which is what they want. :)

In their minds, every victory makes that more unlikely.

I say don't bother with them. They have their little agenda, and you won't get any satisfaction from them.

I know we really shouldn;t waste time with these people but it is so disheartening that we have fans who easily fit the stereotype of a Philly fan, it is shameful ! I have tried to ignore these comments and lack of football intelligence but after being on the "Official Game Thread" last night I just can't take it any more. I shouldn't be so pi$$ed off at what some stranger who I don't even says, but I guess the whole Taylor death is adding fuel to my fire right now and I just want to give them all a piece of my mind and let them know what kind of hypocrits they really are.

What evidence? You have no idea what the players are thinking, or how this team is run internally. All your "evidence" is just assumptions which conveniently support your stance on Joe Gibbs right now. So what I said is "typical hogwash" because it doesn't agree with you? I said Gibbs is the head coach, meaning he did have something to do with the win last night. FACT. You tried to take away any credit to Gibbs for the win of a team he coached. BS.

2005 was miserable?

I will have a nice day, because I'm not looming on some message board taking out my life's frustrations on a man who has always exhibited class and respect towards players, coaches, and fans. The legions of Skins fans and player interviews will attest to that. LOL at your "facts."

My main question is, why dont we run more screens, slants, and put portis back about 2 more yards so he can hit the tiny holes we give him harder?

B/c our O-line isn't performing well, and won't allow enough blocking time for them to develop. Though I think with Collins in we'll see a lot more WR screens and quick slants.

I know we really shouldn;t waste time with these people but it is so disheartening that we have fans who easily fit the stereotype of a Philly fan, it is shameful ! I have tried to ignore these comments and lack of football intelligence but after being on the "Official Game Thread" last night I just can't take it any more. I shouldn't be so pi$$ed off at what some stranger who I don't even says, but I guess the whole Taylor death is adding fuel to my fire right now and I just want to give them all a piece of my mind and let them know what kind of hypocrits they really are.

I hear ya.

I usually stay out of the game thread b/c it is full of, what I call, the whiny peanut gallery fans.

They change their tune at the drop of a hat.

Many of them are calling for Gibbs to go and for a "strong GM" (whatever the heck that means) to be brought in (just like they do on their Madden video games) and re-build the team from the ground up.

Yet, if that were to happen this off-season, then the Redskins lost their first game of next season, you can be sure they would be calling for that GM's head, or calling him just another Snyder puppet.

It would be just that fast. :)

Gibbs hasn't been perfect (no coach is) but to say he has to go is ridiculous.

These "fans" are whiny and reactionary, and it's why nobody in the organazation listens to them.

Neither should you. :)

Ahahaha, this thread is a joke. Only a Joe Gibbs team could have won under the circumstances? Give me a break. That is the biggest load of **** I've ever heard. Why didn't our special Joe Gibbs beat the Bills last week? The team was so furious over his mismanagement they took it on themselves to play harder and kicked Joe out of the pre-game locker room last night. Way to do some fact checking there stud. We won because the players played hard, and the players were given an opportunity to win because someone didn't interfere with the 2nd half playcalling and ruin yet another game.

dont you have a tennis match to play...this is a football board. you obviously are a JG hater which tells me you know NOTHING about football!

B/c our O-line isn't performing well, and won't allow enough blocking time for them to develop. Though I think with Collins in we'll see a lot more WR screens and quick slants.

I am so bitter, I am just waiting for someone to say that it is Gibbs fault for the line's inconsistanclies in blocking. Judging by some of the other coments, I know someone is thinking it.

What FACT ?????????????

You said they kicked him in the locker room prior to the game....NOT EVEN TRUE !!!!

Check my post in this thread for the facts and a theory as to why, after all your "FACT" as to why is afterall just an opinion as well.

From the mouth of Portis, which seems like a pretty reliable source considering he is the leader of this team (amongst the players)

Joe Gibbs doesn't even believe in the players, which has been proved by his statements that the team isn't capable of blowing anyone out. That says "You guys aren't very good." The last thing I want to hear from my coach is "You guys are in for a tough fight, this'll go down to the wire." That's not instilling confidence. If you want your players to play hard you support them and make them want to play hard and believe they can contend with anyone. Gibbs no longer does that as a head coach.

I hear ya.

I usually stay out of the game thread b/c it is full of, what I call, the whiny peanut gallery fans.

They change their tune at the drop of a hat.

Many of them are calling for Gibbs to go and for a "strong GM" (whatever the heck that means) to be brought in (just like they do on their Madden video games) and re-build the team from the ground up.

Yet, if that were to happen this off-season, then the Redskins lost their first game of next season, you can be sure they would be calling for that GM's head, or calling him just another Snyder puppet.

It would be just that fast. :)

Gibbs hasn't been perfect (no coach is) but to say he has to go is ridiculous.

These "fans" are whiny and reactionary, and it's why nobody in the organazation listens to them.

Neither should you. :)

You're right, exactly right. I guy doesn't go into teh HOF and then become completely useless. He has had his struggles and one reply said it perfectly, we don't know what is rally going on behind the scenes and what the players, coaches and other staff are really thinking but it is obvious that they all want to win and are doing the best they can under the given circimstances, not just Tyalor's passing away. I learned my lesson last nigth and will NEVER go back to the Game Threads.

From the mouth of Portis, which seems like a pretty reliable source considering he is the leader of this team (amongst the players)

Joe Gibbs doesn't even believe in the players, which has been proved by his statements that the team isn't capable of blowing anyone out. That says "You guys aren't very good." The last thing I want to hear from my coach is "You guys are in for a tough fight, this'll go down to the wire." That's not instilling confidence. If you want your players to play hard you support them and make them want to play hard and believe they can contend with anyone. Gibbs no longer does that as a head coach.

Redskins are and will always be a smash mouth football team, thats what they do. Smash mouth means just that, they beat you up for three quarters and win in the fourth. His reminding his team of that does instill confidence. Our players like that kind of football. We don't have the white collar guys out there who ae about the glitz and glamour of a blow out. We have Portis who will hit someone as hard as can every play that he is not running the ball, we have Cooley who will put his head down and crush a guy before going out of bounds every play, Thrash who plays kick off, punt, kick return, punt return and WR. The Skins are run first pass second, using a lot of low risk high percentage plays...again no one even the players expect blow outs.

But, Joe Gibbs must attack throughout the game and don't play to lose. The NFL has changed since his last coaching era. Quarterbacks are much more atheletic than when JT and company played.

You are right about that. Last night was the first time in awhile we got to see that kind of play.

I just want to say this. A win is a win is a win. Would I like us to be blowing people out 37-10 like NE and Dallass? Sure. Do I like when we win 21-19 like the Cards game? Not really, although I'll take the win. I don't think this team is built to win in blowouts, but they are built to win double digit games. Although we won by only 8, we were up by 11 and if Suisham makes at least the 37 yarder, it's 27-13, which to me is a solid win for us. If we could win games by 28-13, 27-10, 24-7 and such, I would probably be a little more satisfied.

I think the team played pretty well in all three fazes, offense, defense and ST. Were there mistakes? Well, yeah. The running game was non-existant, the FG unit sucked and the defense dropped 2 INT's. Were there good things? Sure. The defense looked solid against the run/pass and got pressure. The offense had great pass protection in the 2nd half and the WR's got open. The ST blocked a FG and kept the ball away from Hester without compromising much field position.

Although I'd like to see us win every game 45-7, I'd take 27-13. But some of those 17-16 and 21-19 games are gonna be the death of me. We can all probably agree that this team is not that far off, yet feels like it's so far away. I'll take this win and I liked it. Better than the last 4 weeks.

Archived