Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Was the Campbell shots retaliation ?

Mickalino

First, the shot to the elbow, and almost immediately after, the shot to the knee, and it was exactly the same type of tackle, as Griffin did on Grossman.

And after Chris Samuels knocked out Baray from the game with that chop block below the knee, I thought for sure the Bears would retaliate. So I wonder if the Campbell hits were in response to the Grossman and/or Baray knockouts

"Mick", it does make you wonder - but the point I was getting from the announcers - this type of play needs to be a penalty. It is a career ending play for any QB, but each and every year TEAMS vote to keep it as an agressive non-penalty play. :doh: But we keep in a "kick out of bounds on the return" as 15 yard penalty?

Doesn't make sense - the amount of "protection penalities" surrounding the QB and this type of play is left in. Didn't Jason suffer from this type of play in pre-season? But last night, the Bears got the job done on his knee:(

I doubt it that is not their style that Bears team is a reflection of their coach Lovie Smith and he's as class as they come.

Agreed, but BigRay, sometimes players don't reflect their Coaching:2cents: ; NOT saying that Griffith or the Bears went with INTENT to take out a QB, just looks a "little suspicious" and I can understand where "Mick" is coming from with that thought.

This is what I thought as well. It is not far fetched for things like this to happen in the NFL. When you have one or two players get knocked out by low blows teams to have a tendency to want to retaliate.

I thought that the player on the campbell tackle hit him high and had him wrapped up, then reached down and grabbed his leg and took him down landing on top of the knee.

I could be wrong but it seemed like it is possible this was on purpose.

Agreed' date=' but BigRay, sometimes players don't reflect their Coaching:2cents: ; NOT saying that Griffith or the Bears went with INTENT to take out a QB, just looks a "little suspicious" and I can understand where "Mick" is coming from with that thought.[/quote']

I understand what you guys saying I might have to take a look at the play again but to me I just felt it was one of them freak accidents. I wonder how the coaches feel if they feel it was a cheap shot . I'm sure they will have the league look in to it.

Shot on the elbow? He was going for a tackle and trying to give a big hit.

For his knee, the tackle did start out high and came down as Jason was trying to run away from the pressure. I dont think there is many people out there in the NFL that would try to injure someone to the point of major damage...

There was no shot to the knee.

It was a simple freak tackle, and in a way Campbell is to blame for getting hurt on both hits.

On the first hit he has to protect himself better, it's really that simple. Players aren't just going to let up, espescially if they have a chance to hit the QB before he goes out of bounds.

On the play where he injured his knee he held on to the ball too long and exposed himself to the defenders coming from the weakside. He's been pressing too much over the last few weeks, holding onto the ball too long in hopes of making a play.

He got dinged on a number of plays last week and the week before and his inability to get rid of the ball finally caught up with him.

First, the shot to the elbow, and almost immediately after, the shot to the knee, and it was exactly the same type of tackle, as Griffin did on Grossman.

And after Chris Samuels knocked out Baray from the game with that chop block below the knee, I thought for sure the Bears would retaliate. So I wonder if the Campbell hits were in response to the Grossman and/or Baray knockouts

You kidding me? The Bears were thankful you knocked Grossman out.

Nope. Both were just natural events in the course of playing foobtall. Did you see the replays? Do we need a thread for this?

Do we need a thread for this? Of course. What is a "morning after" without a little conspiracy theory and speculation?

Looks to me like both plays were just flukes.

If it was the Bears getting back at the Skins for Rex going down, than it was the most subtle and underplayed performance I've seen outside of Meril Streep.

Those things just happen in football, and if they had looked hard enough, the NFL Channel crew (which I thought was really pretty decent) could have seen the Bears cutting Griff the exact same way on that dropped pass to the TE in the endzone.

Archived