Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Landry appears poised to be next great safety

old article, but thought id share(before we drafted landry)

He is the kind of safety personnel directors and coaches might conjure up as a computer-generated image, but he's in real life and multidimensional, a prototype defender whose latent skills reflect the new job description for the safety position.

He started in 48 of 52 appearances at LSU and recorded 315 tackles, including 16 tackles for losses, eight sacks, 12 interceptions, 28 passes defensed and 2 forced fumbles. He also had a blocked field goal and a blocked punt. At the combine, Landry measured 6-feet-¾ and 213 pounds, ideal size for the position. He was clocked in the 40-yard sprint at a blazing 4.35 seconds, a better time than turned in by all but four of the 42 wide receivers and all but two of the 28 cornerbacks during the Indianapolis workouts.

Landry had a 37½-inch vertical jump and a 10-foot, 3-inch long jump at the combine and improved those numbers to 38 inches and 10-6, respectively, at his pro day workout.

"He's like a Swiss Army knife," said Washington Redskins defensive coordinator Gregg Williams. "He can do a ton of things for you. And the more he does, the more you're going to find for him to do. He can be a special player."

he safety he most admires and has attempted to emulate is Ronnie Lott, one of the greatest interior secondary defenders of all time, and a player whose career Landry has arduously scrutinized on the video and DVD collection he has assembled. Plus, he has gotten a lot of advice from older brother Dawan Landry, a fifth-round choice of the Baltimore Ravens in 2006 who earned a starting job as a rookie.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft07/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2847400

I love Landry ...but man it's going to be awhile before I can watch that guy make a big play and not think how much more amazing it would be to have Sean back there as well. Soooo frustrating...

We'll be wondering that for his entire career. Even though we won't say it, we'll be thinking it...I thought that several times tonight when I saw him out there.

Landry's gonna be a good one, no doubt.

i was sold when we drafted him, if springs moves to FS next year it will allow LL to stay in the box, QB's will have pain on their mind when they see him creep up to the LOS :laugh:

having springs at FS is a stupid idea

springs cant lay the wood

landry being deep scares WR's i dont think anyones scared of springs.

plus springs is our best CB why move him?:doh:

having springs at FS is a stupid idea

springs cant lay the wood

landry being deep scares WR's i dont think anyones scared of springs.

plus springs is our best CB why move him?:doh:

springs is not our best corner, hes our best cover guy, why not make him cover the deep play? we can return to a cover 3 shell defense allowing LL to drop in and out of the box i never said dont show a 3 and drop into a 2 zone did i? it would improve the defense if he covered the deep ball like s taylor RIP. how many big hits does springs lay on a consistant basis against #1 WR;s, he body slammed TO and dummies up small WR's hes like 210lbs of muscle have you seen this guy on the field for the past 4 years???? :laugh:

springs is not our best corner, hes our best cover guy, why not make him cover the deep play? we can return to a cover 3 shell defense allowing LL to drop in and out of the box i never said dont show a 3 and drop into a 2 zone did i? it would improve the defense if he covered the deep ball like s taylor RIP. how many big hits does springs lay on a consistant basis against #1 WR;s, he body slammed TO and dummies up small WR's hes like 210lbs of muscle have you sean this guy on the field for the past 4 years???? :laugh:

how about we just keep landry at his natural position FS?:rolleyes:

Hmmm ok hes not our best corner?????? But hes our best cover guy????? U make absolutely no sense! Lol Who is our best corner of Springs isnt??? Smoot? Eubanks? Stop being a tard. Springs is by FAR our best corner,and has been pretty healthy this year

Hmmm ok hes not our best corner?????? But hes our best cover guy????? U make absolutely no sense! Lol Who is our best corner of Springs isnt??? Smoot? Eubanks? Stop being a tard. Springs is by FAR our best corner,and has been pretty healthy this year
what did he just say :whoknows:

Reed Doughty is ok but you would perfer that combination with LL instead of S Springs and LL??? :cool:

yea i do.....

id rather let landry play his natural position

springs is 33 why play him at FS and replace him in 2 years when we can let landry grow and devlop at the FS position.

Daughty is young and has been playing solid at the SS posiiton.

Spring is fine at CB and when we are playing deep coverage i seen greg williams put landry and springs uptop and young CB's manned up.

yea i do.....

id rather let landry play his natural position

springs is 33 why play him at FS and replace him in 2 years when we can let landry grow and devlop at the FS position.

Daughty is young and has been playing solid at the SS posiiton.

Spring is fine at CB and when we are playing deep coverage i seen greg williams put landry and springs uptop and young CB's manned up.

at FS he would have to do less tackling at the LOS, he would be invovled in the same coverage/down field tackling if he play either FS/CB, my point is springs is our best Defensive Back, if we allowed him to roam deep and make sure no big pass plays happened he could get more INTs we got young CBs let him chase the WR's around while he roams playing the ball in the air?? LL being young will make less mistakes at SS and be able to play physical which he likes, it would develop him as a better player if he can play in the box and drop back like a FS in certain packages, remember we have GW gameplanning :2cents: P.S. natural position? one plays closer to the line than the other, safety means your the deepest man, free means no assignment aka last line of defense strong means up on the LOS attacking the run

I love Landry ...but man it's going to be awhile before I can watch that guy make a big play and not think how much more amazing it would be to have Sean back there as well. Soooo frustrating...

One thing is for sure...he reminds me of ST in his first season or two...if you all recall...how ST went for the big hit rather than pass defense. he will need to correct that...have at it GW!!!!!

Archived