Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Please take a deep breath and think about this for backup qbs

ARSexton

I still want to say I am excited and hopefull..... but

my thing about backup qbs is this.... whenever back up qbs get in a game or start their first game unexpectedly they usually do fairly well.... i think its because the defense has already gameplanned for the starter and it causes problems on the d side when the starter goes out. The 2nd game for the backup is usually more telling.

for example AJ feely played awesome 2 weeks ago for the eagles against the pats. everyone thought he was the 2nd coming... this week he stunk it up big time, probably because the d cordinator could game plan for him and watch his previous week

Amen, the people here who are saying that Collins is a better QB than Campbell are absoultely crazy. Collins has been in Saunders' system for a long time, so it's not a shocker that he looked good tonight. But to say he is the solution at QB is absurd. Campbell is our future, Collins provided a spark.

my thing about backup qbs is this.... whenever back up qbs get in a game or start their first game unexpectedly they usually do fairly well.... i think its because the defense has already gameplanned for the starter and it causes problems on the d side when the starter goes out. The 2nd game for the backup is usually more telling.

Well, then the solution is clear:

Start Collins against the Gints, then pull in him in the second quarter for Brunell. Change the starting order for the Vikes game. Rinse, repeat.

:D

*ducks*

*runs*

Collins is what he is - a career backup. Not one post here is a revelation.

Yes, the Giants will prepare for Collins and try to take him out of his comfort zone. OTOH, the Redskins didn't exactly gameplan to Collins' strengths, either, so the gameplan thing could balance out for next week.

Really, the biggest thing next week might be the infamous swirling winds of the Meadowlands. That could effect Collins most of all.

Still, this is what you want out of a backup - solid play in spot duty. If he was starter quality for long stretches, he would be starting somewhere. But in the short-term, he's serviceable, especially in a system with which he is very comfortable.

Collins just needs to manage the game like Brunell did down the stretch in 2005. We're getting Randy Thomas back, and the running game should get better.

We'll have ten days to rest up after the most physically and emotionally draining week in Redskins history. The key won't really be Collins; it will be running the ball. If we can do that, we just need a QB who won't make mistakes, and we can pull this off...

It's definitely still a long shot, but I know this team will keep playing hard.

Well, then the solution is clear:

Start Collins against the Gints, then pull in him in the second quarter for Brunell. Change the starting order for the Vikes game. Rinse, repeat.

:D

*ducks*

*runs*

To be honest, there's something to this idea. You don't have the QB controversy or the bruised ego thing going with these guys. This might be the ideal situation to shuffle QBs - could drive the opposing D nuts.

While Collins isn't the answer to our quarterback problems, I do believe that he proves that we have guys who can get open, and coaches who are sending receivers down field. JC just isn't hitting them.

If you are honest, Collins would have put 35 on the Bears tonight. Campbell couldn't have scored more than 17 points. I'm not saying Campbell is never going to be good. I'm just showing that the QB is an area of concern for this team not matter how many people think it isn't. The proof is in the 144 QB rating of Collins.

Oh thank goodness for this thread. I am getting double-vision from these ES threads about Collins being a better QB. Redskins fans are going to find out why Collins isn't a starter beginning next week. Losing Campbell was not a good thing.

Thanks for helping us out here, Skippy! :rolleyes:

Nothing happening at the Cowboy board tonight?

To be honest, there's something to this idea. You don't have the QB controversy or the bruised ego thing going with these guys. This might be the ideal situation to shuffle QBs - could drive the opposing D nuts.

Obviously I was joking, but you're right, it does make sense in a contrarian way.

Since Brunell will be moving up from 3rd to 2nd string, you can play him without having to sit Collins for the rest of the game.

At first blush, it sounds crazy, but we're facing long odds and we're going to have to get creative.

You are exactly right. Collins has what we call a "noodle" arm. Once a defense forces him to go long, thats when he struggles. He is good for a backup, but thats it.

I don't know man, people use to say that about me and then I won a super bowl

Sincerely,

B Johnson

Archived