Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why in the hell is Keenan McCardell returning punts?

playboy1972

I keep thinking of ways for this team to get kick started and they are playing safe by putting someone back there that they know can fair catch? What about Rock, Moss, Farris, hell even Smoot could get the job done. We need somebody to get some returns on punt teams. One of the reasons we lost to Buffalo is we had to have started half our drives inside the 10.

I'm pretty sure rock blocks on punt returns.

I don't think farris is on the team anymore.

Smoot has gimpy ham strings and doesn't need to take any more contact.

Moss -- see Smoot.

The answer to your question is it's because he's our third-string return guy, and our top two guys are hurt.

They rely on him to catch the ball and move forward a bit without fumbling.

Can't expect your third stringer to be a game-breaker.

We have much bigger problems.

ARE if he's healthy, but why not Santana? The guy was great at it with the Jets.

I have no problem with McCardell fielding punts inside our own 20-- you rarely get returns there and just want a sure-handed guy. But it's downright idiotic to have him in a situation where he has to actually run one back.

I realize Santana has been banged-up, but we need all the spark we can get-- I'll take that chance. If ARE can't do it, I say give it to Santana.

Yeah every time I see this, it pisses me off. McCardell is going NOWHERE, hell, put me back there. I'll get a yard or more than Keenan. you've got Rock, Eubanks, Smoot, Farris, hell Moss. Someone. Field position is underrated apparently.

Returning kicks is much different than returning punts. First, you need to have better hands-- on kicks, you have more luxury catching the ball...if you muff a punt, it's a turnover.

On kicks, you can almost always build a head of steam. This is why Rock has been so great at it-- the guy just goes forward. He doesn't dance around. He has a clear objective to get that ball to the 30 and then if he has room to manuever after that, he takes it. I love Rock as a kick returner.

But a punt returner needs to be "shifty." Rarely can you "run up" on a punt and just go. Normally, you catch a punt and have to make a move almost instantly. I don't think that's Rock's game. Plus, he's an essential member doing other things on the punt units, so I wouldn't mess with him there.

I think with McCardell we kind of just "gave in." Put someone back there that won't mess it up.

Because he's got sure hands and has returned punts in his career more than anyone else who's available and healthy right now.

I'd say put Santana Moss back there if he was 100% because the team could use a spark in that area with Randel El and Thrash injured.

On kicks, you can almost always build a head of steam. This is why Rock has been so great at it-- the guy just goes forward. He doesn't dance around. He has a clear objective to get that ball to the 30 and then if he has room to manuever after that, he takes it. I love Rock as a kick returner.

one of your favorite attributes, is one that makes me the most mad. i love that he takes it to the 30 consistently.... but i want someone to be a threat. i want someone that has the threat of taking it the distance. when i see rock returning, its in the back of my mind, but i never expect him to take it beyond the 45

rock, please prove me wrong and take one the distance tonight!

For one simple reason: He catches the ball.

Look at what happened to the Eagles early in the year. They cut Reno Mahe, a guy with no return skills but who always caught the ball. They replaced him with a couple guys who were more explosive, but they fumbled away at least one game for them.

Then, guess what? The Eagles re-signed Reno Mahe.

When your starter at that position goes down, you have to replace him with someone who can CATCH punts first and foremost. Any yardage he picks up is gravy.

Seriously, go back and look what happened to the Eagles earlier this year. When they re-signed Mahe, the fans hailed him as a conquering hero just because he wouldn't drop the ball.

one of your favorite attributes, is one that makes me the most mad. i love that he takes it to the 30 consistently.... but i want someone to be a threat. i want someone that has the threat of taking it the distance. when i see rock returning, its in the back of my mind, but i never expect him to take it beyond the 45

rock, please prove me wrong and take one the distance tonight!

I like "explosiveness" in a punt returner, but it's not as important to me in a kick returner. A kick return for a TD in the NFL is rare, period. Hester is just on another planet-- can't hold the rest of the league up to those standards.

Sure, it would be great if Rock was as consistent as he was AND was a gamebreaker, but I'll take what he give us, as I think field position after kickoffs is a major key.

He has better hands for punts than the other guys.Kickoffs are totally different,I guess maybe he has better field awareness and hes healthier.

How are his hands so much better? I haven't seen anyone fumble a punt since that scrub WR I forget his name--he blew a kiss to the Cardinal fans?

To be totally honest, we have "0" game breakers on offense. Cooley is cool and steady, Moss is 80% at best,Randle El plays so much that he has no burst on his returns, and Portis hasn't taken it to the house since his first run against Tampa. I think Portis has more to do with his the added weight but the fact remains, we don't have any gamebreakers.

Archived