Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Deceptively Delicious: creative way to get your family to eat veggies

SnyderShrugged

My wife and I were havin trouble getting our family to eat enough veggies. Me included.

Se bought the cook book, "Deceptively Delicious" by Jessica Seinfeld (Jerry's wife) to see if we could secretly increase the veggie intake.

The general concept is to use veggie puree's to add to meals so the veggies are unobtrusive on the plate, but still a sizable portion of the meal.

Today was our first experiment. We made Mozzarella sticks with a cauliflower puree. They came out awesome and the kids scarfed down 4 each which covered a serving of veggies for the meal.

Later we make burgers with carrot puree in them.

Just wanted to give a good review thus far!

I don't believe in cooking veggies......raw is the only way to go, now some OBVIOUSLY you gotta cook IE: eggplant

but remember heat kills phytochemicals and reduces vitamins and minerals significantly

Bleh. I agree with some veggies. I like carrots cooked as much as I like them raw. But I hate raw brocolli for instance. Like it cooked. I don't mind losing some minerals etc. it's still better than junk food.

Bleh. I agree with some veggies. I like carrots cooked as much as I like them raw. But I hate raw brocolli for instance. Like it cooked. I don't mind losing some minerals etc. it's still better than junk food.

you should care about the mineral loss.....esp if ya don't use a higher quality multivitamin....... photochemicals are also invaluable.

p.s. ~ I CAN EAT A 5 GALLON BUCKET of RAW BROCCOLI !!!!!!!!!

you should care about the mineral loss.....esp if ya don't use a higher quality multivitamin....... photochemicals are also invaluable.

p.s. ~ I CAN EAT A 5 GALLON BUCKET of RAW BROCCOLI !!!!!!!!!

Kingbrice, I'm picking up some Dr. Mercola influence here. Are you a fan?

I have a friend who swears by his advice. It seems like so much work though!

I was very skeptical about this cookbook--it seemed to me just a way to prolong bad eating habits (are the kids gonna eat that way forever?). Then I read this, which just bolstered that point of view: http://www.theage.com.au/news/diet/dietician-warns-against-covert-vegies/2007/11/29/1196037062746.html

fair enough assessment. I would counter though, that my folks never hid the veggies and heaped them liberally on our plates and I now hate many of them as a result.

We plan to still serve regular veggies along with the new main course, for the same reasons that you cite. This way my girls (and me) will benefit from twice the servings at most meals. We even made a desert custard that had sweet potato puree in it. Not too bad, but I would still pick a nice cherry pie over it!

Kingbrice, I'm picking up some Dr. Mercola influence here. Are you a fan?

I have a friend who swears by his advice. It seems like so much work though!

Never heard of Him/her.......

Gotta link??

A broccoli puree cookie?

OH BABY!!!

plus Jesus was a vegetarian ;)

Doubtful since I can eat pork in good conscience.....yeah yeah I know it was a joke.... :silly:

Archived