Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is it possible,that games like "Grand Theft Auto" are the reason for murders n such?

michael_33

So if I pick up a hooker on the street while driving home from FedEx Field, I can tell my wife that GTA made me do it? :silly:

What would make the situation better for her- that I could hit the pro w/ brass knucks and get my $$$ back, or that at least my heart meter is 98% full? Silver linings to every cloud. :silly:

But seriously, isn't this why they put the advisories on the games, like rated M for Mature, etc? The parents need to do their job.

There's no real debate here... EVERYTHING that is wrong with America comes down to parenting. It all begins and ends there.

just my opinion...

Bob Knight(yes the coach Bob Knight) said it best IMO.

"Parents today are far more interested in being their kid's best friend instead of being a parent."

Is anything NOT a government conspiracy with you? Good grief.

Honestly,

This is what is going on.

Classic case too. All the tell tale signs.

On serotonin uptake inhibitors, been in mental health facilities where the seed is planted, performs the deed on command (hey, for added conspiracy value, Georgie and the gang were in the neighborhood), then committs suicide. End of story and investigation.

Forget the fact that another gunman was arrested.

Forget the fact that multiple gunmen were seen by multiple witnesss.

All you need to do is research the MK Ultra program and every major shooting that has taken place in the past decade. You will be surprised at the similarities.

Videogames don't 'make' anyone act violently, in the same way movies, and art doesn't 'make' someone act a certain way. It is all up to the individual and their own predispositions and free-will choices.

It would be a huge mistake if we choose to restrict what a 'free-society' can produce (i.e. censorship).

This is all missing the point anyway, the focus should be on mental illnesses and the literal causes of such violence and not a medium of entertainment such as videogames which is often used as the scapegoat.

I think the theory is not that constant exposure to these games "make" someone act violently, but that the games tend to desensitize people to violent acts, so that the psychological barriers to violence become weakened in the minds of someone already predisposed to violence.

It's definatly a factor, but not the cause. first point is that the amount of gratuitous and visual and realistic adult content that is readily available to young people is disturbing and warps worldviews in ways we are only just begining to expirience. I honestly believe that the overexposure to violence is a cancer in this society. second, GTA fulfills the dark desires of the inner concience. Sigmond Freud wasn't exactly correct all the time, but I think there's some merit to the theory that deep down we all have the dark desire/curiosity of what it would be like to commit the unthinkable. mix that with someone with mental problems and give them an avenue to act out their fantasies in fiction and they just might want to take the next step, to get the next big 'high' if you will (in the most sick version of the term you could imagine) and actually commit the act they fantasize about, conciously or unconciously.

No, No, No, No.

A game is not going to make an individual go out an kill anyone else, that thread snapped in their head long before the video games came along.

Violent games do have short term effects on the way you think, though.

There is a lawyer in miami that is all over games because of the idea that video games have something to do with it.

Parents getting upset about it is what pisses me off to no end, the ESRB was made for a reason, the ratings are on the back of the damn boxes, and there is a nifty little content box right beside the rating.

Read the rating, parents, don't buy your kids games meant for individuals 17+

I've played the original GTA, GTA2, GTA3, GTAVC GTASA and I've never committed a crime, killed anybody, robbed anybody, run anybody over with a car, I don't listen to gang banger rap music or any rap music at all for that matter, I have never ingested any illegal substances or been intoxicated in my life. The only time I have ever been involved with the cops it was a speeding violation.

Could I be used in a study that says GTA prevents all these bad things from happening? Video games have nothing to do with real life. Even the biggest idiot can tell the difference between doing something in a video game and doing it in real life. If someone who plays GTA games also decides to rob stores, kill people, etc. chances are they were a pretty damn sick, ****ed up person before they ever played GTA...I mean we get the same influences in a movie like Pulp Fiction, how many of us have seen that movie? How many of us have decided to become gangsters in L.A.?

Trying to explain away the fact that people are just sick and ****ed up by saying a video game is making them that way is stupid, just like when people say somebody commits a crime because they listened to too much of one kind of music, or watched this movie or whatever. The vast majority of people that are normal members of society can watch a gory movie that glorifies murder, theft, etc. without turning into one of the characters in the movie. Normal members of society can listen to someone like say Marilyn Manson or some hard core gangster rapper and tell the difference between what they hear and what they should do. Normal members of society can play the GTA games, shooter games, racing games, etc. without leaving the television and pretending they are still in the game.

Sick people can't. You will have these sick people no matter what. The other day I read an article on craigslist where a guy was looking for a heterosexual jerkoff buddy and had a tornado fetish. What the ****??? I never saw that **** in a movie, heard it in a song, or played it in a game. Just gotta accept that people are ****ed up.

Sure maybe there is 1 person somewhere who is just plain dumb or maybe has borderline personality disorder and decides to play out in real life something they have seen in a fictional environment. That isn't a reason to kill the whole game/movie/music genre. It still doesn't explain why some guy in the middle of nowhere wants a friend to masturbate in a tornado with him. People are ****ed up no matter what. The problems with society go a **** load deeper than movies, music, and videogames. Videogames have only been around for a short period of time anyways. What motivated people to commit gruesome murders in the 1800's? 1700's? 1600's? etc. Sick minds. They have always and will always be with us. Blaming a few tools of entertainment is wrong.

Personally I blame Wile E. Coyote and Road Runner cartoons for it all.

Tom & Jerry

Daffy, Bugs and Elmer all fueding over who dies first.

cartoons have just as much to do with it if you are going to try and argue video games are causing violence.

No... It's David Hasselhoff... you can't hassel the Hoff.

So you are on board with the theory that the CIA is secretly using mind-control drugs on mental patients and sending them on shooting sprees?

Sure, it is not as concrete as video games or mommy giving you hugs growing up, but it is a theory...

• 2 weeks later...
Personally I blame Wile E. Coyote and Road Runner cartoons for it all.

Tom & Jerry

Daffy, Bugs and Elmer all fueding over who dies first.

cartoons have just as much to do with it if you are going to try and argue video games are causing violence.

The degree of violence and the graphic nature when Wile E. Coyote has a rock land on him is nothing compared to video games and movies. There not in the same universe.

I think that kids who get immersed in these games at a very young age can be desensitized to violence. It only makes sense. Whether it is a real contributor in growing teen violence, I just don't know. I'm not ready to discount it. This is where parenting comes in. Don't let video games and TV raise your kids. Force their lazy butts outside to play.

They are a symptom of our ultraviolent culture...

death and destruction are seen to be perfectly normal in our society. Maybe that is one of the reasons we can see bloody murders in pg-13 movies, but not sex :doh: Products don't make markets, they are for markets...Why is there a market for this nonsense? For some reason we have large segments of every form of our media devoted to everything brutal.

I think that kids who get immersed in these games at a very young age can be desensitized to violence. It only makes sense. Whether it is a real contributor in growing teen violence, I just don't know. I'm not ready to discount it. This is where parenting comes in. Don't let video games and TV raise your kids. Force their lazy butts outside to play.

I used to play games like Mortal Kombat when it first came out and I used to watch movies like the Terminator and Aliens as young as 7 or 8. I watched Cops at night too. However, I've never been in a fight in my entire life nor have I committed a crime more violent than speeding. I believe that some kids could become desensitized to violence by games and I believe some will be without the games and I believe that some will be like me and the game won't affect them at all. What I really believe is that it comes down to parenting.

Archived