Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is it possible,that games like "Grand Theft Auto" are the reason for murders n such?

michael_33

I've been an avid game player for a very long time...But I only play games like Sports (Madden) fighting games,(VF,tekken and such)or maybe a cool Space game or adventure game...

I have played a few Sniper type games or (shooting games) but I never buy them and it is always for only a short period of time as I aventually lose interest...

I have never played Grand theft Auto for sure,but I have seen documentories about the game on violence and I pretty much know what the game consists of...

The more crime and terror you cause,the higher up the ranks you go!Beating each level requires the most possible crime to murdering innocent people to raping women and on and on and on...

Now more than likely...I could go pick up the game...beat it...and probably wouldn't go kill anyone over the weekend...

But what about a 12 year old...a teenager in school.....

Is it not a coinicidence that we are having all these gun murders in schools like the Columbine incident as well as many others..?

Now we just had a 19 year old gun down 9 people at a shopping mall....

I'm only 34 years old,but I truly don't remember or even hearing about anyone committing such an act when I was 15...or 19 or so...!

Of course in my day...you had Tecmo Bowl,STG,Mario rothers,Donkey Kong...

Sure...there were also war games and such that delt with gun fire,but definately not with the crazy graffics that we have today and definately not the numbers of them in circulation like there are now...

And of course...If some of you remember...MTV actually DID just play music videos and there was not the "PIMP MY RIDE" music on the air,like their is now...No Southpark....

I don't want to get too far off track...as I think Music has as much influence if not the MOST on possible crime and Gang Banger music only to hear someone say..."let's just pop a cap in him" kinda crap...Cause of course...IMO... :2cents: That's just what it is..CRAP!

But could games...like "GTA" be a culprit in this mess we call society now as they get to visualize what it's like to committ such rediculous autrocities yet also only to be rewarded for it?

There just isn't anymore responsibility anymore...!

Guard your families with your life people....!Cause it's only going to get worse!!Don't forget to lock your doors when you go Christmas shopping too....It truly is getting bad every single day that we live in this cesspool..we call society!

How much money do you want to bet,that the guy responsible for the Murders at the Mall in Nebraska, had all kinds of games that have to do with shooting people and what not?I bet he owned "Grand Theft Auto" as well! :doh:

Your thought?

It would be naive to say they had NO affect at all. But just as naive to say they are to blame.

We all take in our surroundings and live life WITHIN those surroundings, not AROUND them.

Does you adrenile flow in the 4th quarter watching a Skins game?

Mine does. And I know for a fact that I've never thrown a remote control against a wall while watching The Office. But I've destroyed 3 or 4 watching the Skins over the last decade.

I think it's likely crazy people get ideas from pop culture but the question isn't did the style of killing from a video game. The real question is did the killer kill because of the video game. I haven't seen any evidence supporting that.

I don't think video games are the "reason" I think they provide ideas. The reason is far deeper then any xbox.

I think it's likely crazy people get ideas from pop culture but the question isn't did the style of killing from a video game. The real question is did the killer kill because of the video game. I haven't seen any evidence supporting that.

I don't think video games are the "reason" I think they provide ideas. The reason is far deeper then any xbox.

I see what you are saying.

But, I also know, you have to be careful when you dump gasoline on a fire. For some people these games are the proverbial gasoline. All my own opinion of course.

I agree with this. But I'd also say that the video games devalue murder in the minds of the youth, at least a little. That's the problem.

Absolutely....

IMO the thing that will change the minds of teens and kids is the music.

If you get someone like another John Lennon, or someone as big as Elvis that has great views and is against violence and is for world peace.... The world would change.

Now we just need that person to come.

Absolutely....

IMO the thing that will change the minds of teens and kids is the music.

If you get someone like another John Lennon, or someone as big as Elvis that has great views and is against violence and is for world peace.... The world would change.

Now we just need that person to come.

I think that was called Band-Aid.

I agree with this. But I'd also say that the video games devalue murder in the minds of the youth, at least a little. That's the problem.

We live in a country where boobs are restricted to adults but gun violence is PG13. It's not video games, and it pains me to say this, but American culture is extremely violent. Video games are just one aspect in which this is obvious. Movies, certain types of music, video games, TV shows.... entertainment in the US is often mostly packaged violence.

But, I also know, you have to be careful when you dump gasoline on a fire. For some people these games are the proverbial gasoline. All my own opinion of course.

While this may be true, where do you draw the line. Movies, theater, literature?

Let's be clear, many great works of literature (and you can include the Bible or Shakespeare) do portray brutal acts.

I read King Lear in school and remember very well the scene where his eyes are plucked out. We saw this very graphically on stage too as the live actors appeared to remove and crush his eyes under foot (using grapes). If someone sees that act and decides to blind another person or animal, are we going to blame Shakespeare?

I realize that there is more likely a problem with the person before he ever picks up controller...be it a chemical imbalance,manic depressive or just a flat out gothic dresser!

But I truly don't remember ever hearing about,witnessing or even someone realistically contemplating doing what we see now on an almost regular basis today!

Does that mean that people are more messed up now than they were when we were young?I don't think so...

Bad parenting?definately part of the problem...

In my day....you knew that if you committed a crime or did something problematic that could come back to either your parents or someone with a authority.....You would definately be punished for it and you knew the consequences for your actions!

It seems like today that kids either don't care or the new LAWS prevent appropriate discipline from the parents or someone with the authority to do so!

instead of playing with their friends outside,playing sports or whatever...their inside their room everyday....all day killing people with their mind....I'm sorry!I think we have a problem Houston!!

We live in a country where boobs are restricted to adults but gun violence is PG13. It's not video games, and it pains me to say this, but American culture is extremely violent. Video games are just one aspect in which this is obvious. Movies, certain types of music, video games, TV shows.... entertainment in the US is often mostly packaged violence.

I'd go further ... I think it's something in the American psyche. Many Western cultures are dominated by American video games, TV programs and movies. Some of those countries also have plenty of access to firearms and yet it appears to mainly be in this country that mass shootings take place. For some reason American society creates a much higher proportion of these violent psycopaths who decide to 'make a statement' by killing others en route to taking their own lives.

No. simulated violence is an excuse used by parental groups that are too lazy or otherwise ignorant in raising kids. Kids are a lot smarter than you give them credit for, and if you sit them down and expalin to them, that its only a game and if you try to kill 8 cops and steal their car, you wont be able to run to a paint shop and disguise yourself and eventually get away with the crime. Most kids will get that.

Now can a kid go temporarly insane and shoot someone if they have been up for 86 hours of straight video gaming killing? yes, and it has happened, but no good parent should allow 86 hours of gaming in the first place.

Totally agree. But that says something about the US. These entertainment vehicles are driven by the market.

Totally agree. But that says something about the US. These entertainment vehicles are driven by the market.

It's because we restrict sex too much, and ignore violence.

I guarantee you, if it came down to ogling nekkid boobies or shooting a rifle, 14 year old boys would choose the boobies 90 percent of the time.

Would you rather see "Saw III" or "Jenna Haze Does Everything With Everyone" :laugh:

I blame 24 hour news coverage, not video games.

well put.

but on the topic. ive played and beat GTA III, Vice City, and San Andreas. ive never gone out and gotten caught committing a crime (note the wording...but in all seriousness, never committed a crime since the first time i played the game). i still have san andreas on 100% completion on my computer and the saved game file at 100% for vice city. on occassion when im pissed about something, ill load the game up and go blow some stuff up.

i look at it as im doing it in the game where its fine. when i finish, i feel better. then i dont have a short temper and end up yelling at people close to me for no reason. i just take my aggressions out on the games.

Archived