Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

An Eagle fan's take on Joe Gibbs II

pointyfootball

I post in ATN some but occasionally meander over here to read threads, and I wanted to give my unsolicited input regarding Gibbs and his future. A bit long.

I've always been an Eagle fan, but to be honest, in the 80s, there was no team I had more respect for than the Skins. That was due to one person - Joe Gibbs. My team sucked and was run by an idiot owner who wouldn't resign Reggie White (are you kidding me?) and a coach, who was entertaining yet lacked class and was clearly outcoached in a division with Gibbs, Parcells and Landry/Johnson. The Eagles would always be competitive with the Skins during the regular season (I remember many games being decided by less than a TD), sometimes dominate (Body bag game), but were embarrassed in the playoffs because Gibbs & Co. knew how to gameplan for the playoffs.

Gibbs seemed to have a knack for getting players that everyone nowadays calls "blue collar", or players that fans could see themselves having beers with. His calmness displayed on the sideline was obviously not the face he always showed his team, but it exuded control, confidence and patience. When I would watch his teams, especially in the playoffs, they executed the game plan and if that wasn't working, no doubt JG would change things at half time. In short, from my viewpoint, his teams played EXPECTING to win. They were confident (never ****y as far as I saw), loyal to their coach and extremely well coached.

When I heard that Gibbs was coming back, I initially felt bad because I'm of the opinion you can never go back to the way it was. Hiring Joe Gibbs was/is the equivalent of hiring your mother - you can never fire her because of how much you love her and all she has sacrificed. Knowing the struggles that the Skins FO has had, I just didn't know if Gibbs would be able to be successful given that at the time he didn't have a franchise QB and veteran players were very frustrated with the instability of the team. To me, even if he didn't win a SB, I would consider Gibbs II a success if he steered the ship in the right direction by developing a QB, getting quality young players in the system and begin playing more consistent football.

What happened? I think everyone overlooked how tough it is to be away from a job (extremely difficult one at that) for over a decade and then have to transition quickly back into that position. Free agency, player psyche, offensive and defensive schemes, as well as Gibbs not having that fire he probably had back in the first run. Alot of the things that have gone wrong are not his fault, because he doesn't fumble the ball or miss tackles. However, as Team President, he is responsible for many of the personnel decisions and definitely a lot of the game planning and game-day decisions.

It seems evident, to me at least, that Gibbs is doing his best, but at this point it isn't good enough to significantly improve the team, either this year, or maybe even next. Next year is the last year in his 5-year plan. Losing Sean Taylor (RIP) and Carlos Rogers (imo he won't be able to be fully 100% to mid or late season) which were two extremely high draft picks has further made Gibbs position that much more difficult. As a Gibbs fan, I really would like him to leave as a success, even though if he left after this season I don't think it would tarnish his record at all.

For Gibbs II to be a success, I think he has to have an excellent offseason and build for the next 5-10 years (not try and win it next year). McIntosh, Cooley, Landry, Campbell, Carter, Samuels are all excellent young players that a successful team can be built around. By staying one more year, further developing Campbell, getting 1-2 young FAs who will contribute, and 3-4 good draft picks, Gibbs will no doubt be leaving the team in much better shape then when he arrived. If he turns over the offensive duties to Saunders and lets him run a NFL-today offense, it would result in a team playing more consistent football.

As a coach myself, Gibbs is/was a role model for me. Even to this day he displays professionalism, calm and responsibility. I don't know if Skins fans appreciated him as much as he deserved the first go around (not saying you did or didn't - just don't know), because as my team (and yours since he left) can demonstrate, those type of coaches are few and far between. There are very few, if any coaches who would ever be as loyal as he's been to one single team.

Now, I can go back to hating the Redskins. J/K :D

PointyFootball

Are you really a Eagles Fan? You have made an arguement to become a good fan for the burgundy and gold!(LOL) A lot of what you write here is very good information that many in Redskins nation do not have the patience to wait for. The skins have not won the divivsion title in a long time and most of us are tired of being mediocre at best. Coach Gibbs has righted the ship and my wish is he would retire gracefully and allow someone else to continue the rebuilding (skins hire a GM) and let him be the President of football operations. He's grooming JC to be a franchise QB but at the same time he is losing games that are very winnable. His coaching style and/or philosophy won't allow him to change unfortunately. Coach doesn't have the track record for playing risk/reward football and making adjustments after half time (one of his signatures in Gibbs I) has totally disapeared. We love Joe Jackson Gibbs but heartbreaking as it is, and we will all ways love him, Coach should retire.

Anyway, I hate Philly! (LOL) Good luck man, we both need itsmile.gif

youre acting like because its gameday were supposed to believe in gibbs again? ill be at the game tonight, in the 27 degree weather cheering for this team, but i will still think gibbs is a huge problem.

and id bet money we have the lead at halftime.

I am acting like MAYBE, just MAYBE on a gameday we might put aside the petty bull**** that is written here on a daily basis to unite behind our head coach and our team. If for no reason other than they need our support right now more than ever.

If for no reason more than we have a chance at the playoffs.

I am acting like MAYBE, just MAYBE on a gameday we might put aside the petty bull**** that is written here on a daily basis to unite behind our head coach and our team. If for no reason other than they need our support right now more than ever.

If for no reason more than we have a chance at the playoffs.

i just dont consider it petty, i see him being a detriment to my favorite sports team that i want to see succeed, and the more i watch of him on a weekly basis, the more i think we wont win with him around.

ill be supporting this team tonight, screaming at the top of my lungs, freezing my a** off, sitting in traffic both ways, dying at work tomorrow morning, and spending my money all so i can support this team. just because i dont agree with everything we do doesnt mean i stop supporting this team.

An Eagles fan who knows how to read and write? Now, I've seen it all. Excellent post.

Game prediction: Skins lead at halftime, squander at least one T.O. in the second half (which will haunt them), struggle in the red zone, campbell will fumble once. It'll come down to the last play, and we'll lose.

Did anyone else hear that Adam Archuleta will be benched?

i just dont consider it petty, i see him being a detriment to my favorite sports team that i want to see succeed, and the more i watch of him on a weekly basis, the more i think we wont win with him around.

I completely agree with you.

ill be supporting this team tonight, screaming at the top of my lungs, freezing my a** off, sitting in traffic both ways, dying at work tomorrow morning, and spending my money all so i can support this team. just because i dont agree with everything we do doesnt mean i stop supporting this team.

I'll be their tonight as well. I'll also be in work tomorrow drinking Alka Seltzer and popping some Tylenol.

I disagree with a lot of things on the team but I still support this team.

:bearsuck:

wow, nice to see a rational outside perspective. Gibbs can stay for one more year and honor his contract, and if he wants an extension I will support that as well.

I seriously doubt that after all these years of coaching, that Gibbs is not able to see the same mistakes that we as fans see, and would not try to change those.

I doubt he is naive enough to think that we can sit tight, and just "wait till next year" and hope things turn out for the best. This is a multi-million dollar business. he woulod not be reckless with its success.

Regardless of whether or not he is washed up, or past his prime, I will support this team. Our goals as fans were to win another SB with Gibbs, his goals and the daunting task he had before him to clean this mess of an organization up is on a different timetable. It's easy to point out all the negatives, but i sure as hell remember what this place was like during the other coaching regimes, and it wasn't pretty.

if anything, he has helped bring back winning expectations to this fan base and franchise. Whether that is accomplished will remain to be seen. The grass is not always greener, but I will wait till after next year to judge Gibbs II as a success or failure ... all the while wading through all the impatient fans who would serve Gibbs' head up on a platter if it meant winning a game.

HTTR!

I can't fathom any true Skin fan being a "Gibbs Hater"

Sadly.. it appears to be the case with some of the classless ungrateful folks round here

Most likely are the same disrespectful jerks who cheered when WE were going going for it on fourth down.

I've been thinking about that all week --

How many of the home team going for on 4th down cheering idiots were slamming Coach Gibbs after the game for "not knowing what he's doing"

WITHOUT GIBBS WE'D HAVE EXACTLY THE SAME NUMBER OF SUPER BOWL VICTORIES AS PHILLY

GOOSE

EGG

:applause: :applause: :applause:

You nailed it pointyfootball!!!

I think that the "get rid of JG" committee is looking only at his win/loss record when personel-wise we have been going through a tough couple of years. JG has done a lot in stabalizing this team in those tough times and if we are a lineman and a receiver away from being a contending program again this is much better team than what he inherited and JGII HAS been a success even if he has to bow down so that a younger succesor can step in and finish what he has laid the foundation for.

Thanks Pointy!!!

Nice, well thought out post pointyfootball....

Honestly, I thought Gibbs would apply his magic and turn this franchise around almost instantly. As you pointed out, in Gibbs' first term he did have a knack for getting players to 'play above themselves'. Hell, he even got scrub players to beat up on a Dallas Cowboy team stocked with veterans during one of the strike years. Unfortunately, things have not gone as well as I anticipated.

Is that Gibbs' fault? Partially. I think the bigger issue is this organization was a train wreck prior to his arrival. Let's face it, when he arrived he didn't have a lot to work with. He inherited a team that had made poor draft choices - yes, we were able to land guys like Bailey, Arrington and Samuels in the early rounds, but our later round picks flopped (and even some first rounders - ala Shuler). What did we do to fix this problem? Went out and paid a lot of money for older, washed up players (Deion, Bruce Smith, etc) which continually pushed us up against the cap.

We were on track to become one of those laughing stock franchises - ala the Bengals of the 1990's. Gibbs was saddled with an organization that was in disarray when he arrived. How long does it take to turn a franchise around that has the problems we had? Years ago you used to hear teams say they are in the midst of a 3 year or 5 year rebuilding plan. Since franchises like the Rams, Ravens, Patriots, etc have turned in worst-to-first finishes in recent years, you don't hear the word 'rebuilding' as much. But that's what Gibbs had to do...from the ground up just about...

He has at least provided stability to the franchise. He has added a good, young nucleus of players to build around as you pointed out. There are some good things going on, but as you also pointed out...he had big shoes to fill this time around...his own.

I know this...if he didn't come back 4 years ago this organization would be a complete mess. You may recall, prior to his return, the coaches being interviewed to replace Spurrier were Denny Green, Ray Rhodes and Jim Fassel. Where do you think we would be today with them at the helm? Hell, in all likelihood, we would have already fired one of them and been on to the next coach-du-jour.

Very thoughtful post. Agree with most of it. The one thing you don't talk about is the front office structure in Gibbs I vs II. So many of us think the difference this time is the lack of a strong GM and staff, that would have enough authority to stand up to even Joe Gibbs about player questions, when they felt Gibbs and his coaches were wrong, as clearly they have been in some cases. While this wouldn't necessarily guarantee success, it would help establish a good foundation for the team for years to come. Wish Gibbs and Snyder would shelve their egos long enough to admit they can't do it alone.

Gibbs has great character and he fights his gutts out. I don't care about what else you have to say.....show me the record for Gibbs 2.0 and then when can talk about something.....it's the same sh** week in and week out with this dude....we are getting sick of it

As usual, nice post pointy!

Gibbs seemed to have a knack for getting players that everyone nowadays calls "blue collar", or players that fans could see themselves having beers with.
QFT

Blue collar all the way, the Hogs, Don Warren, Riggo, Monk, Butz, Coleman, Gouveia.....Damn, get me a beer!

For Gibbs II to be a success, I think he has to have an excellent offseason and build for the next 5-10 years (not try and win it next year).
The Redskins indeed have a nucleus in place. They must build for the coming years, not just a one and done!

The only item concerning me is if Joe, GW and AS return bringing in FA's and draft picks to fit their schemes only to be gone the following year. We would then find our famed organization again (still) in a state of flux.

who cares what a weasel thinks?
You chose this as your 20th post in over two years?

Archived