Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly - Archuleta.

Audible_Red40

Well at least I had a good morning chuckle.

I guess the good is we at least got something for him.

The bad is that we signed him and got nothing out of him.

The ugly is - nothing has changed, poor Archdelux.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/bears/683637,CST-SPT-biggs06.article

Archuleta flop leaves no safety net

Former Redskin's struggles have put Bears in a bind at DB

December 6, 2007

BY BRAD BIGGS bbiggs@suntimes.com

This game could have represented the ultimate in I-told-you-sos with the Bears' Adam Archuleta returning to Washington to face the team that gave him the richest contract for a safety in NFL history.

When he was traded to the defending NFC champions in March, Archuleta said it would be ''fun'' to face the Redskins. This was going to be the chance to prove he was worth the big bucks. My, how one's perspective can change in less than nine months. Archuleta returns to FedEx Field tonight in the same role in which he left Washington -- as a special-teams player.

The Bears felt great at the time about acquiring him for a sixth-round pick. After all, he was one of the targets of their 2006 free-agent plan, and he and coach Lovie Smith talked frequently about reuniting before the Redskins bowled him over with a $25 million deal. Smith was certain Archuleta would succeed in the scheme that made him a star in St. Louis, and the argument was that he was a square peg in a round hole in Washington, to put it in general manager Jerry Angelo's vernacular.

The Redskins asked Archuleta to drop in coverage and used Sean Taylor in the box when they should have done it the other way around. Archuleta's skill set didn't fit the scheme they were running. He always has been best as an eighth defender in the box helping against the run. Veteran Bears safety Mike Brown talked about how, when Smith arrived in 2004, Brown watched film of Archuleta. He was the signature player in the Rams' defense, yet some say he has not been the same player since injuring his back in '04.

The only question the Bears had was whether his confidence was shot. Now he's back in the same position he was in with the Redskins, helping cover kicks.

''There are a lot of disappointments,'' Archuleta said. ''This is one of them, but not overwhelmingly. I had a whole season to [show the Redskins how I could play]. Washington is the first thing on my mind because we're playing them, but that situation is the last thing on my mind, quite honestly.

''I forgot about that a long time ago. I don't hold any grudges.''

It's one thing for Archuleta to struggle in coverage as he has, but what has been shocking is his inability to tackle. He broke his right hand in Week 3, but he has missed countless tackles and has taken even more bad angles. He was humiliated in the Denver game, leading the coaches to replace him Sunday against the Giants with Brandon McGowan.

Even if the Bears weren't getting Archuleta the star, they figured to be acquiring a serviceable version. That hasn't been the case, and it's possible they needed more than he could have delivered even at his best. The franchise has serious issues at safety with Brown and rookie Kevin Payne out for the season. McGowan has had his own durability issues, and Danieal Manning was yo-yoed to cornerback and back to safety. The club even has introduced rookie cornerback Corey Graham to the position.

Archuleta got $8.1 million over three seasons from the Bears, and the biggest payout already has been made. He's not going to get that kind of coin on special teams, where he was very average against the Giants. Archuleta has good straight-line speed but lacks the lateral quickness to make a major impact in that phase.

''Adam's going to be fine,'' special teams coordinator Dave Toub said. ''They're always better the second time out.''

It's worth it to evaluate McGowan over the final month. He has had a nose for the ball when healthy, but at times he can be too aggressive for his own good. However you stack up the depth chart, an infusion of talent is needed. Brown supporters clamor for his return because of his leadership skills that have been sorely lacking in the locker room. Those wishing to cut bait point out he has made 21 starts in four seasons.

''I would hope I'm back,'' Archuleta said. ''But I have no idea or control over it. There is no place I would rather be, but who knows.''

It seemed like the perfect fit.

WHEN THE BEARS HAVE THE BALL ON THE GROUND

LEADERS

It is funny to note that GW tried him at free safety and Taylor at strong safety. After all that failed, he moved Taylor to free safety where he was destined to shine, but for a few thugs in Florida. So, maybe, GW was partly to blame for not realizing each players natural position and where they would have a chance to excel. Not saying that Arch would have been a star at strong safety in DC, but he may have not been the abject failure that he turned out to be.

All that said, I prefer Landry at SS to Arch any day of the week. It was also good to get rid of his outrageous contract.

It is funny to note that GW tried him at free safety and Taylor at strong safety.

The article is wrong. We didn't have such distinctions last year. What happened was that because of the struggles of the corners and the injury to Prioleau, we were forced to use Arch in coverage more than planned. Even so, even if everything worked out the way it was supposed to, Arch would have had more coverage responsibilities than he did in St. Louis, including covering TEs.

Jason

At least it seems to redeem us a little bit, since he doesn't even to be as good at what he used to be good at.

Jason

Not really. The Redskins should have seen that deficiency long before they even signed him. And if Williams had any sense, he should have seen that he had Archuleta and Taylor's positions backwards. Yet, people want this man as our next head coach?

Not really. The Redskins should have seen that deficiency long before they even signed him. And if Williams had any sense, he should have seen that he had Archuleta and Taylor's positions backwards. Yet, people want this man as our next head coach?

Today is a game day. Think we might be able to not talk **** about our own team today? Just maybe?

Hold off on skewering the coaches until midnight tonight, just maybe?

Maybe cheer for our coaches and team as they play the bears for a shot at the playoffs? Maybe?

Most likely not.

For the most part, our D has played great this year (outside of N.E) so I would say GW does have sense... a lot of it.

Archived