Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

a question for mac owners

.Guy.

Macs are trendy. They are "easy to use." But the people I know who use them have also had major issues with them. Thankfully, the warranties are good. But I don't think they're worth that much money. The new HPs are great.

Word to the wise: stay away from Dell!! With those, you truly get what you pay for.

I bought an Compaq less than 2 years ago. It's already a brick. THe funny thing is I had decided to sell it because I just could not stand the windows experiment any more and the next time I tried to start it I got nothing. Flat dead no matter what I do. My 10 year old G3 laptop still works fine. The batteries wont hold a charge any more so it has to be plugged in and the screen is a little off color till it warms up but at least it still runs. That fancy Compaq? Not so much.

Now you are just talking crazy. Show me the specs for your $250 laptop and lets see. :rolleyes:

Yeah sure. I got mine on a killer deal. It was originally $600 but bestbuy had this crazy sale and had it for $300. I bought it a day before the sale and price matched it the next day. Its 110% back so I got it for $275. In addition to this the BB ad had a type saying the dvd drive was also a light scribe when it wasn't so I got a $50 gift card (which I sold for cash).

The specs are:

Intel Celeron M520 which is the same architecture as the Dual cores - same FSB and cache - 1.6ghz

80gig hdd

512mb ram - upgraded to a 2gb ddr2 667mhz pair for $15

- which is about the same (save for 400mhz proc speed) as the cheapest iMac. But i have 2gb which more than makes up for the lack in processing speed.

Yeah sure. I got mine on a killer deal. It was originally $600 but bestbuy had this crazy sale and had it for $300. I bought it a day before the sale and price matched it the next day. Its 110% back so I got it for $275. In addition to this the BB ad had a type saying the dvd drive was also a light scribe when it wasn't so I got a $50 gift card (which I sold for cash).

The specs are:

Intel Celeron M520 which is the same architecture as the Dual cores - same FSB and cache - 1.6ghz

80gig hdd

512mb ram - upgraded to a 2gb ddr2 667mhz pair for $15

- which is about the same (save for 400mhz proc speed) as the cheapest iMac. But i have 2gb which more than makes up for the lack in processing speed.

Intel Celeron M520 - single core 1.60 GHz

2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (thats two, 2 GHz processors = NOT the same)

1GB memory

80GB hard drive1

Combo drive

Built in iSight video Camera

Built-in AirPort Extreme (802.11n)5

Built-in Bluetooth 2.0+EDR (Enhanced Data Rate)

10/100/1000BASE-T (Gigabit)

Battery life - Up to 6 hours

$1,099.00

Intel Celeron M520 - single core 1.60 GHz

2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (thats two, 2 GHz processors = NOT the same)

1GB memory

80GB hard drive1

Combo drive

Built in iSight video Camera

Built-in AirPort Extreme (802.11n)5

Built-in Bluetooth 2.0+EDR (Enhanced Data Rate)

10/100/1000BASE-T (Gigabit)

Battery life - Up to 6 hours

$1,099.00

Dude the iMac does not come with TWO processors. It comes with one DUAL core processor. Mine is the same architecture as the Core 2 but it has one core disabled and half the 2mb cache. Yeah its obviously not as fast but is that difference worth $850? I mean mine is pretty fast for a sub $300 laptop - same speeds as the AMD 3500+. Apple even has the audacity to charge $150 for an upgrade to 2gb ram :doh: I bet its properietary too :rolleyes:. The only thing that has that I don't is a webcam which is cool and all but its not like I can't buy a better quality one for $50.

The fact of the matter is Macs are insanely overpriced but yet somehow people manage to justify it.

What's the purpose of this argument? Really it's about preference.

I use both. However, I love my Mac. I'm a big Mac fan. I enjoy the user experience overall. Being a designer, I enjoy the overall feel of the system, and the fact that it has a lot of features that are done with people like me in mind.

I like the fact that there are programs such as iPhoto, iMovie, iTunes, Pages, Keynote etc., that are all integrated with each other making it easier for me to jump from one program to the other without much issue.

I enjoy the fact that I can easily jump into UNIX command line, if need be, without having to close Photoshop.

Pretty much, I like Apple's overall attention to detail.

Really in the end the price is about what's worth it for you. If you think the system is overpriced then that's fine. That means it what you have works for you, and that's great! However, some feel like the price of the system is worth it, because the system offers something that they don't feel they would get somewhere else. We can split hairs for the rest of the day about specs and this vs. that. But in the end, who cares as long as you're getting out of it what you need?

NO! My system is clearly better than your system! :cry:

dude come on, were not talking about consoles here. We call them rigs!

lol

Really in the end the price is about what's worth it for you. If you think the system is overpriced then that's fine.

do you think macs are overpriced?

edit: Id love to buy an imac but they so damn expensive :(

dude come on, were not talking about consoles here. We call them rigs!

lol

do you think macs are overpriced?

edit: Id love to buy an imac but they so damn expensive :(

The prices are a bit steeper, but I feel like it's worth it. I spent 3k on my G5 3 1/2 years ago. And I haven't thought about buying a new desktop system since. I have a good amount of upgradability available, and as I mentioned before the OS and bundled software is absolutely awesome. So the price is not an issue to me, because of the life span, and overall return that I get out of it.

In fact, I'll say it like this. When I get a Mac, I feel like even though I may have spent more, I feel like it was money very well spent. So why think about how much I spent, if I get my money's worth anyway?

Dude the iMac does not come with TWO processors. It comes with one DUAL core processor. Mine is the same architecture as the Core 2 but it has one core disabled and half the 2mb cache. Yeah its obviously not as fast but is that difference worth $850? I mean mine is pretty fast for a sub $300 laptop - same speeds as the AMD 3500+. Apple even has the audacity to charge $150 for an upgrade to 2gb ram :doh: I bet its properietary too :rolleyes:. The only thing that has that I don't is a webcam which is cool and all but its not like I can't buy a better quality one for $50.

The fact of the matter is Macs are insanely overpriced but yet somehow people manage to justify it.

Dude. Dual core means two processors on one chip. Your celeron has one core. Let's be real. Apples to oranges. You can upgrade the ram yourself and it is NOT proprietary. :rolleyes:

What's the purpose of this argument? Really it's about preference.

I just think it's nuts when people make wild claims about a Macs price. Yeah Macs cost a little more but trying to compare a $350 bargain basement special to a new mac is just silly.

I just think it's nuts when people make wild claims about a Macs price. Yeah Macs cost a little more but trying to compare a $350 bargain basement special to a new mac is just silly.

Trust me, I know where you're coming from. I learned from my time working for Apple that half the time people who wanted you to "convince" them, or debate them on the benefits for a Mac vs. PC, really just wanted to argue for the sake of arguing and didn't really care to just look for themselves.

Wild claims? All that was said in this thread was Macs are overpriced. I mean most of the Mac users even agreed.

I was just wondering why the extra cost was worth it and I got my answer.

This thread reads like a Volvo owner complaining about the price of a Benz.

Its an exciting look into the world of the coffee shop hanging out, latte drinking, thick black frame glasses wearing hipster.

:laugh:

I kid I kid

The list goes on... (No it doesn't.. Cuz so far only thing you've proven is you are full of ****. To the novice your little list might look impressive, to people that know, know yeah this guy is full of ****.

Really grown up there, buddy. No point in telling me I am full of **** if you are going to be a d-bag about things.

Anyway, I prefer macs over PC's even if they are slightly overpriced. I challenge someone to run some old G3 PowerMacs against machines running Windows XP or Vista and see how they compare.

But you were right about one thing, it is definitely all preference. :cheers:

I agree but damn how can Apple charge $1100 in 2007 for a computer and it only has a combo drive? Even these bargain basement specials can burn DVDs. You guys can talk about it coming with software but I could care less about that. If I really need it I'll get it for free.

The iApps are exactly the right mix of speed and functionality for what I do. Keynote is a phenomenal presentation tool. The workflow feels intuitive to me. Hot corners/drag and drop save me time and keep my mind on what I'm creating rather than on the computer. I like how fast the macbook wakes up when I pop the lid. I like the magnetic latch and powercord. I understand that pc users don't need to worry about viruses if they're careful. I like not being careful. Programs crash occasionally. But the way I use my computer, with multiple programs working in concert, a total system crash could wreck a major project. I don't have that problem on a mac.

I don't think everyone needs a mac, but its the best tool for the jobs I do. I've got friends who make a living in various trades. They tend to spend a good bit extra money to buy tools they probably don't need because they make their work easier/more enjoyable. In the end, they feel those tools pay for themselves in greater productivity. My macbook is that tool for me.

Archived