Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

To Mercury Morris and the rest of the 1972 Dolphins: STFU (merged)

Spaceman Spiff

Anyone else tired of them breaking out bottles of champagne when the last undefeated team in the NFL loses every year?

Has anyone ever actually seen the do this? According to Shula, that is just a rumor, and I believe him. I think they did it one time, and now the media harps on it even though it doesn't happen. You really think they get together every week in hopes of the Pats losing? That's some serious ****ing logistics.

Has anyone ever actually seen the do this? According to Shula, that is just a rumor, and I believe him. I think they did it one time, and now the media harps on it even though it doesn't happen. You really think they get together every week in hopes of the Pats losing? That's some serious ****ing logistics.

Guess I should have read the second page...

Here's what Snopes.com says about the Dolphins champagne toast legend:

Claim: Every season, whenever the last remaining undefeated NFL team loses its first game, all the surviving members of the 1972 Miami Dolphins open bottles of champagne in celebration.

http://www.snopes.com/sports/football/miami72.asp

For all of you putting the 72 Dolphins down - sure they're annoying and sure they had an easy schedule. But a lot of teams have had easy schedules and NO other team has ever gone undefeated, I'd brag too.

For all of you putting the 72 Dolphins down - sure they're annoying and sure they had an easy schedule. But a lot of teams have had easy schedules and NO other team has ever gone undefeated, I'd brag too.

The Patriots schedule this season is about equivalent - maybe a little harder - and they are probably going to do it.

The point isn't whether the '72 Dolphins were good. The point is that they're total dicks about their record and display absolutely no grace.

Imagine if Mark McGwire was actively and abrasively rooting against Barry Bonds back in 2001(?)

Or, a better example, what if Hank Aaron had acted this way this past summer toward Bonds? In reality, Aaron expressed a bit of regret that steroid questions now surround the record, but nonetheless handled the entire situation with total class.

I mean, would it be so hard for them to say "you know, we're really proud of what we did and we'd really like to be the only team to ever be able to say it did that. We'll congratulate any team that matches us, but in our minds, we'd like to be the first and last team to go undefeated."

They make it so easy to hate them.

Sigh...if only Sonny hadn't gotten injured, the 72 Dolphins would be the side-note, not the 72 Skins. :(

Same here. He would've eaten them up. Sadly Kilmer couldn't do it and we all know how Allen loved to let his defense win games, but what he didn't realize is, the Dolphins defense was slightly better. Sonny would've been the key to balancing the 2 out.

That is why I am hoping for the double whammy...

I want the patriots to go all the way and I want Miami to go 0-16 so we will never hear from Shula and friends ever again.

Actually that would give Shula and the '72 Dolphins an edge. They would claim the Patriots 16-0 record isn't as impressive since 2 wins were against a 0-16 team.

Ole Mercury...He IS THE MAN.

Let's see if The pats can do 19-0...Win the SB...

AND DO 3 YEARS IN DA CLINK !!!

Hey Undefeated is GREAT. And I would be rooting against The pats as well if I was them !!

Seems you could do it without sounding like such a dick..

When the greatest thing you do in life is when you are 23-27...It can make the rest of like look sorta...Well...Not great .

The Patriots schedule this season is about equivalent - maybe a little harder - and they are probably going to do it.

On the impressive side of the argument, they've beaten Dallas [could end up at 15-1] and Indy [could be 14-2] and Pittsburgh [could be 12-4, assumes a loss this weekend--otherwise this topic goes away].

Actually that would give Shula and the '72 Dolphins an edge. They would claim the Patriots 16-0 record isn't as impressive since 2 wins were against a 0-16 team.

Not only two wins against an 0-16 [theoretical Dolphin finish], but the Jets are almost as dreadful as the Fins, while the Bills are middle-of-the-pack material on a good day. The AFC East without the Patriots is on par with AFC West and NFC West for overall lack of supremacy.

The point isn't whether the '72 Dolphins were good. The point is that they're total dicks about their record and display absolutely no grace.

Imagine if Mark McGwire was actively and abrasively rooting against Barry Bonds back in 2001(?)

Or, a better example, what if Hank Aaron had acted this way this past summer toward Bonds? In reality, Aaron expressed a bit of regret that steroid questions now surround the record, but nonetheless handled the entire situation with total class.

I mean, would it be so hard for them to say "you know, we're really proud of what we did and we'd really like to be the only team to ever be able to say it did that. We'll congratulate any team that matches us, but in our minds, we'd like to be the first and last team to go undefeated."

They make it so easy to hate them.

Very well put.

Anyone else tired of these old fartknockers like I am? Anyone else tired of Mercury Morris' dumb saying that gets replayed every year: "Don't call me when you're in my town, call me when you're on my block," crap.

Anyone else tired of them breaking out bottles of champagne when the last undefeated team in the NFL loses every year?

I hate to say it because I don't like the Patriots but I hope they bust down Mercury Morris' door and **** all over his house and move right on in.

No....I'm not tired of them. They earned the right to be pompous. If you don't like them, don't listen to them.

I seen ole Mercury and Bob Griese on MNF, and I say this, records are MEANT to be broken. I'm sick of it myself too, hearing the cork pop off the bottle too. I was way too young to remember Sonny J against the '72 Dolphins, but I remember hearing stories from some of my uncles who told me the 'Phins wasn't about nothing really. Only to score 14 points and supposed to be the best team in the SB, the '91 Skins would of mopped them right up. :2cents:

The 1972 Dolphins don't even make the top 20 on my list of all time dominant single season teams. I'll be glad to see the end of their specialness.

They may have had one of the weakest schedules in history. I definitely don't consider them one of the all-time great teams.

I'd love to see the end of the stupid champagne toast, and generally agree with the negative stuff people wrote here about the '72 Dolphins team (didn't get past page 1 yet though) but I will say this- I don't want the Pats to do it.

Sorry. Their sportsmanship is too ridiculously bad. Their logic is too flawed (keeping your starting QB in when victory isn't in doubt and risking injury). It's a statement to how much I dislike the 2007 Pats that I'd prefer the stupid undefeated record remain another year.

I would rather that the Dolphins go winless and the patriots lose. They can celebrate, but then they would look like real idiots because why should you celebrate when your current franchise is winless. Yeah I pretty much hate it when the Dolphins pull that pop the champagne garbage. They only beat three teams with winning records that year. They were lucky if you ask me.

I really would not want the Patriots to go undefeated. There are teams that are confident, but this team is beyond all that. They think that they are great and they are just flat out arrogant. Rodney Harrision, I had all the respect in the world for until oh wait you got busted for the NFL substance abuse policy and your coach was cheating as well as the staff. I think that the Jets game should have been forfeited, but hey what do I know? I mean the NFL thought that they had been punished enough for their troubles. I guess the rest of the league and fans input matters little and for all their troubles they more than likely will win it all with a perfect record and the second pick overall. Way to reward hard work and doing things the right way.

I know it's not nice to think ill of the elderly, but the thought of all those bozos having heart palpatations as they fling their unopened bottles of $4.99 sparkling wine against the formica counter-tops of their rest home apartments makes me smile deep deep down. :silly::silly:

It almost makes up for the fact that the Pats are quickly becoming diffacult to put up with or to even get away from, as they have invaded the deepths of pop culture. At least they won't beat a Skins team in the big game and some poor other 6 year old kid won't cry infront of the t.v. like I did.

Anyone else tired of these old fartknockers like I am? Anyone else tired of Mercury Morris' dumb saying that gets replayed every year: "Don't call me when you're in my town, call me when you're on my block," crap.

I hate to say it because I don't like the Patriots but I hope they bust down Mercury Morris' door and **** all over his house and move right on in.

You guys don't understand that the media is seeking these guys out. It's all about drama. makes people want to watch.....is that a piece on his(Morris) head?.......:laugh:

Archived