Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

To Mercury Morris and the rest of the 1972 Dolphins: STFU (merged)

Spaceman Spiff

Anyone else tired of these old fartknockers like I am? Anyone else tired of Mercury Morris' dumb saying that gets replayed every year: "Don't call me when you're in my town, call me when you're on my block," crap.

Anyone else tired of them breaking out bottles of champagne when the last undefeated team in the NFL loses every year?

I hate to say it because I don't like the Patriots but I hope they bust down Mercury Morris' door and **** all over his house and move right on in.

Morris is on Sports Center now, and the hubris is nauseating. All those Dolphins could be a bit gracious. Instead they desperately, pitifully hold on to their petty claim to immortality, and act like defensive dicks whenever anyone gets close to challenging it.

Yeah, it's annoying. The '72 Dolphins played like 2 or 3 teams with a winning record that year. Overrated. They barely even won some of the games against those pitiful teams. Our Redskins would have beat them 9 out of 10 times, but didn't do it the time that it counted. That said, the Dolphins of '72 are overrated.

Morris is on Sports Center now, and the hubris is nauseating. All those Dolphins could be a bit gracious. Instead they desperately, pitifully hold on to their petty claim to immortality, and act like defensive dicks whenever anyone gets close to challenging it.

I almost puked up my dinner. Morris tried to say their season of 17-0 would be better than the Pats going 19-0 because they were "the first to do it"

Sorry dip****, two more games of unbeaten football is more impressive than your streak, no way around that.

I find his arguments narcissistic and pathetic but I do have to confess some surprise at how lucid an aging former running back from a particularly brutal era appears to be.

I wonder if Czonka is as coherent. That dude led with his head for 12 years.

I'd argue that the Pats doing it is more impressive because of the league's efforts toward parity (i.e. free agency, salary cap, etc.). That said, I don't see how anyone can say that the '72 Dolphins' accomplishment is overrated - regardless of how close any of their games were. They went undefeated and won the Super Bowl. Many have come close. Many have tried. But no other modern-era team has done that. It's an accomplishment.

As for the members themselves, I have no problem with them cracking a bottle of champagne to celebrate the continuation of their unmatched legacy - if it's all in fun. And if it is all in fun, then they should invite the Pats to join their celebrations after the Pats accomplish the same feat. But if it's smugness that is driving them, then I can't agree and they're only tarnishing their legend.

I wonder if Czonka is as coherent. That dude led with his head for 12 years.

Didn't Czonka do the American Gladiator broadcasts? While not remotely as articulate as Morris, I recall Czonka NOT coming across as punch-drunk.

Don't know what another 14-17 years has done to him.

Anyone else tired of these old fartknockers like I am? Anyone else tired of Mercury Morris' dumb saying that gets replayed every year: "Don't call me when you're in my town, call me when you're on my block," crap.

Anyone else tired of them breaking out bottles of champagne when the last undefeated team in the NFL loses every year?

I hate to say it because I don't like the Patriots but I hope they bust down Mercury Morris' door and **** all over his house and move right on in.

Yeah, im with you on this. The guy is a totally joke.

I'd argue that the Pats doing it is more impressive because of the league's efforts toward parity (i.e. free agency, salary cap, etc.). That said, I don't see how anyone can say that the '72 Dolphins' accomplishment is overrated - regardless of how close any of their games were. They went undefeated and won the Super Bowl. Many have come close. Many have tried. But no other modern-era team has done that. It's an accomplishment.

That's like saying it was an accomplishment you beat a video game without dying, but you were playing on easy. Again, their schedule allowed them to play wimpy teams. They barely won a few of them, and were underdogs to us in the SB. Then again, I'm not so much against putting down the accomplishment as I am against their regard as one of the best teams ever. Knoll's Steelers were far and away the more fearsome team of the 70's.

I never said that they were one of the best team's ever. I completely agree with you that they are not one of the best teams ever. I also agree the Steelers of the 70s were a much more fearsome team.

I think a lot of teams, if we could build some decent time travel machines (and account for differences in workout routines/athlete caliber/etc.), would be able to really throttle the '72 Dolphins.

But what I do believe is that their accomplishment is legendary. They are the only modern-era team to have an undefeated season; no other modern-era team has matched that accomplishment. If there truly were an "easy" option, wouldn't other teams use it to try to match the record? But this isn't college football where you can partially pick your schedule. You play with the cards dealt.

Maybe the '72 Dolphins had a perfect storm of situations that allowed them to achieve something no one else has been able to match, but the fact remains that they grabbed onto those possibilities and followed through on them. And that is something that they should be proud of. But as most people in this thread are saying, there is a difference between being proud and being arrogant jerks.

:)

Yeah, it's annoying. The '72 Dolphins played like 2 or 3 teams with a winning record that year. Overrated

Anyone have the stats of the opposing teams; were there only minimal winning franchises they defeated? Also, how many games were in that season, still 16?

If I were them, I'd be arrogant and ****y about it, too. They know as good as anyone they'll almost be damn-near forgotten if another team does it.

BTW: With the Pats last two games, and going against Pit., I highly doubt they'll be undefeated by the end of the season. I'm guessing a loss or 2 in the remaining weeks, then yet another S.B. ring for Brady

Archived