Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Shots at Omaha Shopping Mall (merged)

Dan T.

Multiple shots heard fired

By OSKAR GARCIA, Associated Press Writer

4 minutes ago

OMAHA, Neb. - At least one person was shot Wednesday at a busy Omaha mall, and police locked down the shopping center while they searched for a gunman.

It was unclear whether the shooter was still inside the mall or whether other people were wounded at the Westroads Mall. Two people were seen being removed on stretchers, and rescue workers were taking more stretchers inside the building.

Omaha television station KETV reported that an elderly man was shot inside the Von Maur department store.

Keith Fidler, a Von Maur employee, said he heard a burst of five to six shots followed by 15 to 20 more shots. Fidler said he huddled in the corner of the men's clothing department with about a dozen other employees until police yelled to get out of the store.

Fidler said he did not see the shooting but saw a person lying still by an elevator as he was leaving the store.

A woman who answered the phone at an Old Navy store said 20 to 30 customers were huddled with employees in a back storeroom.

"All we know was people were running and screaming down the hallway by Von Maur saying there was a shooting, and then they locked us down," said the woman, who said her name was Heidi.

Police were allowing some people to leave the mall, but no one was permitted to enter.

President Bush was in town Wednesday for a fundraiser in Omaha, but left about an hour before the shooting.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071205/ap_on_re_us/mall_shooting

Why do people ***** about the patriot act and loosing civil liberties but they are all for no guns........Just a thought.

You do realize that question could be turned right around, don't you?

I'm for keeping my liberties and my guns. :)

Yep. I concur. Sort of - its a weapon that kills people.

people kill people. it's really that simple. i don't own a gun, never have and probably never will. i'm not a trumpeter of gun rights (handguns, hunting rifles etc. are all one needs)....

but you guys that think banning guns is the way to go are loony. criminals will have guns.

people kill people. it's really that simple. i don't own a gun, never have and probably never will. i'm not a trumpeter of gun rights (handguns, hunting rifles etc. are all one needs)....

but you guys that think banning guns is the way to go are loony. criminals will have guns.

People always say that like its a provable fact. How about this - we ban guns for 5 years - if at that time violent gun related crime is still high, I'll eat my hat.

People always say that like its a provable fact. How about this - we ban guns for 5 years - if at that time violent gun related crime is still high, I'll eat my hat.

how long has marijuana been illegal? you have a bag in your pocket i bet.

crack has never been legal. hokie4 smokes it all the time.

you can make it harder to get, make it more expensive. but it will still be had.

but go ahead and ban them for 5 years, it won't really affect me. :laugh:

how long has marijuana been illegal? you have a bag in your pocket i bet.

crack has never been legal. hokie4 smokes it all the time.

you can make it harder to get, make it more expensive. but it will still be had.

but go ahead and ban them for 5 years, it won't really affect me. :laugh:

Bag? What are you talking about? :paranoid:

Obviously there will never be a ban - just my pipe dream. The ban would be impossible simplye from a logistics standpoint - how do you collect the guns already in circulation? But if you could somehow do that, my plan would call for VERY strict, even excessive, penalties for any crime involving a firearm.

Bag? What are you talking about? :paranoid:

Obviously there will never be a ban - just my pipe dream. The ban would be impossible simplye from a logistics standpoint - how do you collect the guns already in circulation? But if you could somehow do that, my plan would call for VERY strict, even excessive, penalties for any crime involving a firearm.

Unconstitutional.

just realized that we really shouldn't be having a political debate here...sorry for taking part. condolences to the victims and families.

my cousin that i'm very close to just moved to omaha this year. he works 1 mile from this mall, and almost went there today to get a new video game. was glad to hear he was ok.

That's like saying there's sand in an oasis.

So a ban on guns in the US wouldn't be affected by the rest of the world bringing them in?

Face it, guns are something that we probably wish we could disinvent because of the ease it has in taking life. But they are here to stay.

Militia.

Freedom?

Archived