Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official: Rivera, 17 will be charged as adult

rskins1

What was up with the report that said he was being charged as a juvenile?

I guess the judge felt differently. I'm tired of 17 year old juvenile's thinking they can get away with anything because of their age. I hope this will wake up other youths and change their decision making process.

EGADS! Now he wants to plea bargain?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3142511

MIAMI -- The lawyer for the 17-year-old accused gunman in the killing of Washington Redskins safety Sean Taylor wants to reach a plea deal.

Sawyer Smith, who along with his father Wilbur is representing Eric Rivera, said Wednesday his client was admitting no wrongdoing yet but was eager to discuss the possibility of reaching an agreement with prosecutors.

"When the State Attorney's Office is ready, we would like to sit down and begin discussion with them so we can move towards a resolution in the case that has the best interest of all parties in mind," Smith said. "We want to minimize the impact of case resolution on the Taylor family and find a result that's in the best interest of justice."

Circuit Judge John Thornton Jr. denied Rivera bail Wednesday in his brief appearance via videoconference in a Miami-Dade County courtroom. His three co-defendants were denied bail a day earlier.

All four -- Rivera; Charles Wardlow, 18; Jason Mitchell, 19; and Venjah Hunte, 20 -- have been charged with first-degree felony murder and armed burglary.

Taylor died Nov. 27, a day after he was shot in the bedroom of his home. Police have said the 24-year-old player was a victim of a botched burglary.

Good to hear. I heard a "legal consultant" on a local radio show here last night saying that IF he was tried as a juvineille, he probably would only be in the juvi system for 5-7 years, while his older friends could face life in prision or the death penalty becasue they are charged with felonies that resulted in a homicide.

What was up with the report that said he was being charged as a juvenile?

If you're under the age of 18 in Florida, you automatically get a juvenile court date. If meet certain critera (mostly having to do with the crime you're being charged with), the State can certify you to felony (that is, charge you as an adult) any time before your trial.

what a dumb piece of s**t...time for the justice system to take out a little garbage and execute this burden on society. Nothing less than the needle will do.

IF by justice system you mean cell block mates, you are dead on. Our "justice system" would set these guys up for 20 to life with a warm bed and 3 meals a day.

Prison justice wont wait that long.

I feel sorry for them. Being young and all. But then i think of Sean Taylor and REVENGE wells up to my adam's apple.

EGADS! Now he wants to plea bargain?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3142511

MIAMI -- The lawyer for the 17-year-old accused gunman in the killing of Washington Redskins safety Sean Taylor wants to reach a plea deal.

Sawyer Smith, who along with his father Wilbur is representing Eric Rivera, said Wednesday his client was admitting no wrongdoing yet but was eager to discuss the possibility of reaching an agreement with prosecutors.

"When the State Attorney's Office is ready, we would like to sit down and begin discussion with them so we can move towards a resolution in the case that has the best interest of all parties in mind," Smith said. "We want to minimize the impact of case resolution on the Taylor family and find a result that's in the best interest of justice."

Circuit Judge John Thornton Jr. denied Rivera bail Wednesday in his brief appearance via videoconference in a Miami-Dade County courtroom. His three co-defendants were denied bail a day earlier.

All four -- Rivera; Charles Wardlow, 18; Jason Mitchell, 19; and Venjah Hunte, 20 -- have been charged with first-degree felony murder and armed burglary.

Taylor died Nov. 27, a day after he was shot in the bedroom of his home. Police have said the 24-year-old player was a victim of a botched burglary.

Yeah, the lawyer has been rambling every single minute he can get camera time about the poor young 'un, and how he deserves a break b/c of his "circumstances".

They're all laying the blame on each other, so I hope he isn't able to cop a plea...given he appears to be taking forever to fess up.

IF by justice system you mean cell block mates, you are dead on. Our "justice system" would set these guys up for 20 to life with a warm bed and 3 meals a day.

Prison justice wont wait that long.

I feel sorry for them. Being young and all. But then i think of Sean Taylor and REVENGE wells up to my adam's apple.

yeah...about tens years of being used and abused before he gets put down like horse would be great

It's appropriate that he's being charged as an adult. But plea bargaining? Give me a break.

I dont think I've ever run across a case where the defendant's weren't at least offered a plea. The State might (and probably will) offer something obscenely high so that a trial is the only real hope the defendants have of breathing free air again, without having to have it pumped into them through respirators.

Also, if I were the prosecutor assigned to this case, I might want to hang on to it, if for no other reason than to make a name for myself. How often do you get a murder trial of this magnitude?

Good to hear. I heard a "legal consultant" on a local radio show here last night saying that IF he was tried as a juvineille, he probably would only be in the juvi system for 5-7 years, while his older friends could face life in prision or the death penalty becasue they are charged with felonies that resulted in a homicide.

fyi - since he was 17 when the crime was committed he cannot be sentenced to death. the supreme court ruled in 2005, in Roper v. Simmons, that a juvenile cannot receive the death penalty. Even if he turns 18 before he is sentenced, he was 17 at the time of the crime, so no death.

this applies even though he is being tried as an adult.

EDIT - sorry to be redundant, i know this is also being discussed in another thread.

So, so, so unfortunate for this kid...but much, much more deserving for the crime he committed. Another senseless crime (murder) has devastated both sides of the family, the victim's and the suspect's.

For sure, Mr. Eric Rivera can't prepare himself enough for the punishment, nor the humiliation, about to come his way. No wonder these individuals are under suicide watch.

A young fellow such as himself will become somebody's... *whistling*. :(

Parents, particularly, fathers, do keep your sons by your side and teach them how to become law abiding citizens.

Archived