Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

"WR Andre Johnson, Miami: Mugged by the Washington Redskins at combine...

Nighthawk

Mad Mike,

Now that we've done all the signings on the lines, I would be in favor of going after AJ. I don't want to see us lose Smoot though. Maybe Watson would be decent trade bait with some draft picks, he had some decent showings last year. My question is do we have enough room left under the cap to pay AJ?

Originally posted by GaSkinsfan

Mad Mike,

Now that we've done all the signings on the lines, I would be in favor of going after AJ. I don't want to see us lose Smoot though. Maybe Watson would be decent trade bait with some draft picks, he had some decent showings last year. My question is do we have enough room left under the cap to pay AJ?

I confess that capology is my weak point but I would think so. Remember that whoever we trade , their cap numbers would be cleared as well... right?

Others here have posted some cap info that leads me to believe we are supprisingly well positioned as well. At any rate the FO seems to be confident in their moves so I will assume for now we will be fine.

:cheers:

Yesterday's and today's signings have changed everthing.

O-line simply isn't a need any longer. The guys who started this past season, like Alex Sulfstead, Wilbert Brown, and maybe even Tre Johnson, now become solid, experienced depth. And we have a youngster in Akil Smith who has talent and the luxury to develop.

At this point, I think we should re-negotiate with Dan Wilkinson. He and Brandon Noble make a solid starting pair. Maybe not sexy, but they are legitimate NFL starters. They won't get run on. At defensive end, Upshaw is a good starter. He's got experience, he can rush the passer, and he's got a mean streak that will lend some attitude to our defense. Renaldo Wynn is solid and veratile. I think you'll see better play from him next season with better health. He was awfully nicked up at the beginning of last season. To me, that's four solid, legit, experienced NFL starters on the D-line. Hopefully, we can get Carl Powell back in the fold. That's more solid, versatile depth. Also, we will likely have Bruce Smith providing more pass rush off the bench. Throw in a couple of young pass rushers in Ladarius Jackson and Greg Scott, and that's not a bad mix.

I think the lines are no longer a priority. What would I do at this point? Hell, forget Andre Johnson. I like him just fine and think he's good enough to make an impact as a rookie. But I would just about sell out to trade up and get Charles Rogers. Flat out.

Rogers is the most talented receiver I've seen come out since Randy Moss, without the emotional baggage. Hell, I'd trade the 13th pick, Fred Smoot, another draft pick this year, and maybe even a draft pick next year to get Rogers.

That would still give us a second or third rounder to add some talent to the safety position. And I would add special teams players and depth with what's left. If Smoot's gone, I like Rashad Bauman as a starter and we can always add a free agent like Denard Walker or Ashley Ambrose for depth.

I'm shocked by the signings. Like I said, EVERYTHING'S changed.

Call me crazy. Call me reckless. But Rogers is the best player in this draft, bar none, and he's exactly what Spurrier needs to make his offense REALLY dangerous.

You're crazy and wreckless.......and no way in hades should we do that. I want to keep smoot and have bauman as the backup and figure out another way to trade up that high. But hey man, I'm with you, it would be awesome to get rogers, but there has to be an more settling way.

Bauman is 5'8 with 3 extra pairs of socks while Smoot is a shade under 5'11.

Bauman isnt D Green and bigger #2 WRs will eat him up. Smoot has his sophmore slump just like Champ did.

You dont turn a strength into a weakness and its not guaranteed that Champ will be here after next season and we always seem to have one of those corners tweak something and if it happens to be Champ do you think Bauman can become the shutdown corner?

Guest Trevor

ND, I'm quite sure that Bailey isn't going anywhere. He'll either be resigned or franchised. No way Snyder lets him walk, unless Champ refuses to play for us and in that case he'll be dealt and we can draft or sign another top notch corner.

I think Bauman can replace Smoot in the system we will be using as Edwards is going to lock Bailey onto the opponents #1 and we'll use safety help with Bauman's guy. The key in doing this would be to improve the safety play. At this point I'm all for going for Rogers though I think Johnson will be more likely.

Don't underestimate Bauman. A lot of scouts though he was the best cover corner of his class.

No he's not Darrell Green. No one is. But I think he could be as good as Ray Buchanan (5'9") or maybe even Aaron Glenn (5'8"). Bauman might not be as fast or quick as Glenn, but he's faster and quicker than Buchanan, who's played in multiple Pro Bowls (as has Glenn). At worst, I think Bauman can be as good as Antoine Winfield (5'8"). Winfield hasn't played in a Pro Bowl, but he's a real damn fine cornerback. Some people have called him a fast Pat Fischer because of his toughness.

I'd say the coaching staff tends to agree with me, or they wouldn't be shopping Smoot in the first place. Look, Smoot has fine man coverage skills. But you can't live by man coverage alone. You simply have to mix coverages up, or offenses will eat you alive. Smoot seems to become disinterested when not covering man-to-man, which might explain why he was out of position so much. I think Bauman did a better job with his assignments. Proof? Towards the end of the season, it seems that Smoot was giving up a lot more receptions than Bauman was when the defense was in nickle coverage. Why weren't offenses picking on the short nickle corner?

I think you have to look at the big picture, sometimes. You can't wait to add an All-Pro player at every position. It would take too long. If you can lose a little something at one position to add a MAJOR upgrade at another position, I think the team as a whole improves.

Right we are going to have to really suck in the upcoming season to draft a shutdown corner that could even come close to Champ.

And if we deal Smoot, who is going to be the 3rd corner since most teams play at least a 3 WR set and most coordinators are smart enough (Parcells) to sknow that will be a weakness and pick it apart.

Dave, pay attention. There are free agents like Denard Walker or Ashley Ambrose, Terrell Buckley, etc. who would all make fine nickle corners.

Plus, most defenses play zones, even in nickle and dime packages, in long yardage situations. The philosphy is to give up the short passes, make the tackles short of the first down. That's how you defeat multi-receiver formations. See Tampa Bay in the Super Bowl.

Look at the BIG picture.

GURU, I find myself always in agreement with you. Excellent posts. Charles Rogers is a can't miss prospect as far as I'm concerned, and Bauman is a very good corner. I watched him closely all season, and he was always in position, and is a superlative tackler. He probably won't come up with as many picks as Smoot, but he won't be out of position as often, nor will he miss as many tackles.

Guys, before you go thinking Bauman could replace Smoot and that's that, remember that teams need 3 good corners these days. This is the age of the passing game and teams tend to flood defenses in order to gain matchups.

I want Rogers or Johnson myself, prob. more than you do, but loosing a good corner who has the potential to get even better has me woried.

I hope we can somehow find a way to get one of these two great WRs AND keep Smoot. And if Smoot has to go, I hope they have a damn good plan to fill his spot.

Archived