Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN Chat with Mortensen (Redskin Question/Response)

Combatant

Eric , waldorf md: Mort. I have a question about the Redskins and Joe Gibbs. Do you think the game has passed him by? It took till week 10 for him to finally take the reins off of Jason Campbell and to allow Saunders to finally call a type of game he wants.

sn2.gifChris Mortensen: (1:03 PM ET ) I don't think the game has passed him by but the game and league has changed since he made his FOF resume. Personnel and salary cap are a much different landscapes. They have not had a healthy wide receiving corps. They're also not out of it. Hey, they came very close to winning a road game in Dallas on Sunday.

I consider Mort a pretty respectable NFL mind and if he doesn't think we're out of it yet it can't be a bad sign.

I don't understand why people think Gibbs has been calling plays and has just now entrusted Saunders with that responsibility?

Do people here have some inside knowledge that I don't? Are you guys intercepting the headset transmissions or something?

Hasn't Al been calling the plays all along? (with a few obvious exceptions like the 4th down FG calls, etc)

I don't understand why people think Gibbs has been calling plays and has just now entrusted Saunders with that responsibility?

Do people here have some inside knowledge that I don't? Are you guys intercepting the headset transmissions or something?

Hasn't Al been calling the plays all along? (with a few obvious exceptions like the 4th down FG calls, etc)

I agree, somehow when we pass a lot, Saunders is calling the plays, when we run a lot, its Gibbs... people can just tell... :rolleyes:

Eric , waldorf md: Mort. I have a question about the Redskins and Joe Gibbs. Do you think the game has passed him by? It took till week 10 for him to finally take the reins off of Jason Campbell and to allow Saunders to finally call a type of game he wants.

sn2.gifChris Mortensen: (1:03 PM ET ) I don't think the game has passed him by but the game and league has changed since he made his FOF resume. Personnel and salary cap are a much different landscapes. They have not had a healthy wide receiving corps. They're also not out of it. Hey, they came very close to winning a road game in Dallas on Sunday.

I consider Mort a pretty respectable NFL mind and if he doesn't think we're out of it yet it can't be a bad sign.

So it took Mort to convince you of that? :laugh:

I agree, somehow when we pass a lot, Saunders is calling the plays, when we run a lot, its Gibbs... people can just tell... :rolleyes:

:applause: :laugh:

Bingo.

If things are going well then Al made some great playcalls and Gibbs stayed out of it.

If things don't go well then Gibbs obviously interferred and told Al to shove it.

:laugh:

Because stupid people know everything and intelligent people find it amusing.. Some of these idiots on this forum will say any thing.

Matt Williamson agrees as well:

Redskins Hopeful...Charlottesville, VA: Even at 5-5, we seem to be in a drivers seat for the last wildcard spot (tie-brekaers with AZ and DET). What do you think our chances are?

SportsNation Matt Williamson: True. Better chances than Det for sure and yeah, better than Zona. I think you get in with NYG. Three teams from the East.

Why do some of us fans think Al calls the games when we pass more? Simple did you see his offenses in St. Louis and KC it looked like the offense we ran the past 2 weeks.....Look at the previous weeks when we were conservative watch old skins tapes we ran joe gibbs plays he called in the 80's....its simple to see just watch the games....Dont get me wrong i love joe gibbs and its his team he can call what he wants and quite frankly the team is 100 times more competetive since hes been back here....Its just we have a talented young qb with a gun and its nice to finally see him utilize his arm.

being 'out of it' mathematically and being 'out of it' with any decent dose of realistic and practical thought are often two different things :laugh:

the Redskins at 5-5 are IN the race. but an NFC loss to the Bucs on Sunday I think all but puts the Redskins at the breaking point for 2007, especially given the injuries to key players.

Is Saunders a pass first type of guy? I mean, Priest Holmes had some good years when Saunders was OC in KC.

Its not just different because were passing more...im talking spreading the field with the recievers...and running of that as well.....gibbs likes to max protect keep everything tight and run 2 reciever sets....you cant do that to much with how fast defenses are now adays...but yeah im more happy about them spreading the field then anything else.

Archived