Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Vick Surrenders Early

paige3girl

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3119025&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

RICHMOND, Va. -- Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick surrendered to U.S. marshals Monday, three weeks before his sentencing on a dogfighting charge, and was being held in a regional jail.

Vick is scheduled to be sentenced Dec. 10 on the dogfighting conspiracy charge, but turned himself in because he was anticipating a prison term, according to a court document. Vick could be sentenced to up to five years in prison.

"From the beginning, Mr. Vick has accepted responsibility for his actions, and his self-surrender further demonstrates that acceptance," Billy Martin, one of Vick's lawyers, said in a statement. "Michael wants to again apologize to everyone who has been hurt in this matter and he thanks all of the people who have offered him and his family prayers and support during this time."

Vick is being held at Northern Neck Regional Jail in Warsaw until his sentencing, U.S. marshals told The Associated Press. The mixed-gender facility houses about 450 inmates.

The order filed in U.S. District Court said "Vick has indicated his desire to voluntarily enter custody prior to his sentencing hearing. It appearing appropriate to do so, the U.S. Marshal is ordered to take custody of the Defendant immediately upon his surrender."

The order added that Vick was taken into custody "based solely on his desire to begin his period of incarceration prior to his sentencing hearing and not because of violation of any condition of his bond."

In an e-mail sent to the AP, the U.S. attorney's office confirmed Vick's surrender but declined further comment.

Vick's decision to begin serving his time before sentencing was approved by the judge and Vick's lawyers.

This summer, Vick and three co-defendants pleaded guilty to charges related to a dogfighting operation financed by Vick. Bad Newz Kennels was based at a property owned by Vick in rural Surry County.

The NFL suspended Vick indefinitely and without pay.

Vick and his co-defendants still face state felony dogfighting charges.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

This struck me as interesting...

"From the beginning, Mr. Vick has accepted responsibility for his actions, and his self-surrender further demonstrates that acceptance," Billy Martin, one of Vick's lawyers, said in a statement. "

Really? I thought he lied about it from the beginning until his buddies turned on him!

Smart move on his part. When he is sentenced the judge might be easier on him now.

One of the legal "experts" on TV surmised that Vick and his lawyers are doing this more from a "timing" standpoint. They believe he is going to get a 1 year sentence, which translates into 10 months for good behavior. That would have him out of prison by September 2008, just in time for the football season (assuming Goodell allows him to return).

This is a case where, ideally, the man can serve his time, pay his debt for his crime, and become rehabilitated in the eyes of his profession and the public. He has accepted responsibility for his wrongdoing.

Realistically, though, (as this thread shows) he will forever be vilified, his name will forever be tarnished,and any team that even contemplates taking a chance on him will suffer a huge PR hit.

Or do some of you think that he can overcome this and return to the NFL?

Exactly and the NFL may not be as hard on him now. We might see him playing in the NFL sometime now in 2008-09

read the link I just posted... legal experts disagree. the Richmond judge is notoriously tough on crime and because there is a humanity issue involved so he will have added pressure to be extra tough. Additionally, the fact that Vick tested postive for marajuana while one probation will make it harder for Vick to prove his true remorse.

Are you kidding me? How anyone can support him I have no idea...

A) We're talking about dogs here. DOGS!!

B) The fact that the Federal government is even involved in prosecuting a dog-fighting scandal is a tragic raping of the U.S. Constitution and the federalist system of which this country was founded.

C) We're talking about a bunch of friggin' DOGS. Did I mention that yet?

D) He's a Hokie. We don't throw family under the bus because a bunch of hypocritical politically correct stone-throwers told us to.

E) Supporting Michael Vick pisses PETA off. How is this a bad thing?

F) We're talking about a bunch of friggin' dogs. Really? Dogs? Seriously? Are you friggin' kidding me? Dogs?

I hope he's out by summer and I hope he's flippin' the bird to all his detractors on Sundays.

6211558_7_2.jpg

B) The fact that the Federal government is even involved in prosecuting a dog-fighting scandal is a tragic raping of the U.S. Constitution and the federalist system of which this country was founded.

D) He's a Hokie. We don't throw family under the bus because a bunch of hypocritical politically correct stone-throwers told us to.

F) We're talking about a bunch of friggin' dogs. Really? Dogs? Seriously? Are you friggin' kidding me? Dogs?

I hope he's out by summer and I hope he's flippin' the bird to all his detractors on Sundays.

I think I hate you.

Taking an animal that is blindly loyal and subjecting it to pain for perverse entertainment is sick on any level.

Yeah it had nothing to do with interstate gambling or the fact that he lied about his involvement from day one.

You may have mentioned this before. Because you have the ability and means to do things doesn't make it any less disgusting.

I'm guessing your Hokie statement is a blanket of forgiveness for everything Hokie?

Your okay with him lying, breaking his contract, and killing dogs (only dogs) as long as it pisses off PETA. The moral compass is strong in you.

Honestly this is like saying supporting

Once again just because you don't think its a perverse hobby doesn't mean that the majority of people don't think its disgusting.

I hope he plays again.

Nothing like watching the most overated QB of all time continue to lower that 53.8% completion rate. By the time he's out he'll be a number 3 wide out at best. Good luck with that Vick.

Thank you GoSkinsGo! I was so angry when I read his comment all I could say was that I hated him going where he did with regard to the dogs.

Sick that anyone could defend this guy for what he did. And I am sure killing defenseless animals and gambling were not the only illegal things going on -- don't think there weren't drugs invovled and/or gang activity and/or violent crimes against humans and/or ... uh the list could go on and on. There is a reason he took a plea deal you know... he may be stupid but his lawyer isn't.

Taking an animal that is blindly loyal and subjecting it to pain for perverse entertainment is sick on any level.

Yeah it had nothing to do with interstate gambling or the fact that he lied about his involvement from day one.

You may have mentioned this before. Because you have the ability and means to do things doesn't make it any less disgusting.

I'm guessing your Hokie statement is a blanket of forgiveness for everything Hokie?

Your okay with him lying, breaking his contract, and killing dogs (only dogs) as long as it pisses off PETA. The moral compass is strong in you.

Honestly this is like saying supporting

Once again just because you don't think its a perverse hobby doesn't mean that the majority of people don't think its disgusting.

I hope he plays again.

Nothing like watching the most overated QB of all time continue to lower that 53.8% completion rate. By the time he's out he'll be a number 3 wide out at best. Good luck with that Vick.

:yawnee:

Archived