Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

It was about more then just Sean Taylor being out....

NoCalMike

At first I was inclined to blame TO's TD show on a lack of having Sean Taylor back there, but the more I think about it, the more I am kind of irked at the fact that we didn't even attempt to jam Owens at the line of scrimmage. We basically released him and allowed him to run any route he wanted to untouched. Basically the corners left the safties on an island, not knowing which way Owens would go. The corners should have jammed Owens and re-directed him in one direction or another, which also would have disrupted his timing with Romo sits to pee, and given the safties a better vantage point. When you play the Cowboys, you should really key in on a player like Owens. Make guys like Crayton try and beat the defense. After TO's wide open 2nd TD of the game, some type of adjustment should have been made.

Sean Taylor not being on the field hurt a lot, no doubt, but I still say the strategy going into the game was poor regardless.

:2cents:

At first I was inclined to blame TO's TD show on a lack of having Sean Taylor back there, but the more I think about it, the more I am kind of irked at the fact that we didn't even attempt to jam Owens at the line of scrimmage. We basically released him and allowed him to run any route he wanted to untouched. Basically the corners left the safties on an island, not knowing which way Owens would go. The corners should have jammed Owens and re-directed him in one direction or another, which also would have disrupted his timing with Romo sits to pee, and given the safties a better vantage point.

Sean Taylor not being on the field hurt a lot, no doubt, but I still say the strategy going into the game was poor regardless.

:2cents:

True...TO is far too good a WR to just let him go unmolested off the line of scrimmage.

Can some please save me.

Cowboyfans at work are all over me. I have no help.

I'm the only skins fan here and I want to puch somebody in the face.

I'm so close.

:laugh: Just laugh at them at their "near loss" -

and

1. Our QB wasn't playing basketball on the field

2. TO is only as good as the media makes him out to be- "one game of not pumping TO up by the press and they will be pumping his stomach

3. Aikman (their X-qbie) was giving props to the Redskin running back- Portis, calling Portis his "favorite player of all time"

4. And, our OWNER doesn't OWN his property and feel like he needs to come

down a stroke our players like pets :silly:

5. In Murf's pics there is a facemask that wasn't called on Whitten, kindly remind them the refs were NOT making the calls they should have made against them :D consistantly

6. Don't hurt bottom feeders, it makes for a bad pay check;)

Can some please save me.

I'm so close.

If you can get another job, tell them you quit and just go ahead and punch someone in the face. It would be so worth it.

Can some please save me.

I'm so close.

Just tell em you'll be laughing your head off when they get blown out by New England if they make it to the Super Bowl!!!

You don't "jam" TO at the LOS. He's too physical and there's not a corner in the league who can match his physicality.

Thank you. T.O. eats jams for breakfast, alot of D coordinators want to jam T.O. but it's damn near impossible. As soon as those little DBs put their hands on T.O. he is the one throwing them out of the way and he can run whatever route he damn well pleases.

You don't "jam" TO at the LOS. He's too physical and there's not a corner in the league who can match his physicality.

Thank you. There is a reason players play, coaches coach, and fans... complain. Trying to jam TO is basically surrendering a defensive player because TO is going to have his way with him and then run right by. Who on our defense has the strength and size to jam TO and then still run with him? Not even Taylor could do that.

Thank you. There is a reason players play, coaches coach, and fans... complain. Trying to jam TO is basically surrendering a defensive player because TO is going to have his way with him and then run right by. Who on our defense has the strength and size to jam TO and then still run with him? Not even Taylor could do that.

I would disagree with you on Taylor not being able to "jam" TO - Taylor is VERY athletic - and I noticed TO didn't get close to Landry -

But I have this "gut feelin'" TO is going to do his ownbadself in - he looked totally crazed yesterday when he was looking into Romies eyes - "somethin' not right about his look and his eyes;)

True, it's more than just about Sean Taylor being out.

It's also about LaRon Landry being inexperienced, making the wrong reads, and being out of position.

It's also about Prioleau not having the same feel or range in deep coverage that Taylor possesses.

It's also about Carlos Rogers being out. Yeah, he had his struggles, but he was starting to play much better, especially in press coverage. Maybe Rogers might not have been an elite cover corner, but he was a legit starting NFL cornerback who can get a good jam at the line and delay QBs from throwing the ball his way.

It's also about Fred Smoot continuing to play with a balky hamstring. Again, maybe Smoot's not an elite corner, but a healthy Smoot is a legit corner who can play press coverage.

It's about having Leigh Torrence as your third cornerback, who might have a little potential, but is not someone you want to stick in man coverage a majority of the time.

All these things add up to a depleted secondary which is not as talented as the version on the field at the beginning of the season. One that that includes inexperienced players such as Landry and Torrence who don't always make the right reads and are sometimes out of position.

Given the current state, what would you do differently? More man coverage, with those safeties and those cornerbacks??? I think that's foolhardy and wishful thinking.

I don't think you can "scheme" your way out of these injuries.

well that ONE sack came at the best time, just wish JC ran for that first down instead of throwing it to newman

but umm, i think we lost this game not only because of Sean taylors absence, but because our entire secondary played like ass, how the hell do you leave one of the best WR in the NFL wide open! Didnt they learn anything from what TO did to the giants? Well guess i should expect much from Pierson and that white guy

TO may be hard to Jam, but the added 1/2 a second that you may buy if you try would have lead to sacks by our D-line. Romo sits to pee barely got away a number of the 3rd and long passes, if TO had had to fight a jam, Romo sits to pee would have had to have dumped it off before TO got past the 1st down marker....

True, it's more than just about Sean Taylor being out.

It's also about LaRon Landry being inexperienced, making the wrong reads, and being out of position.

It's also about Prioleau not having the same feel or range in deep coverage that Taylor possesses.

It's also about Carlos Rogers being out. Yeah, he had his struggles, but he was starting to play much better, especially in press coverage. Maybe Rogers might not have been an elite cover corner, but he was a legit starting NFL cornerback who can get a good jam at the line and delay QBs from throwing the ball his way.

It's also about Fred Smoot continuing to play with a balky hamstring. Again, maybe Smoot's not an elite corner, but a healthy Smoot is a legit corner who can play press coverage.

It's about having Leigh Torrence as your third cornerback, who might have a little potential, but is not someone you want to stick in man coverage a majority of the time.

All these things add up to a depleted secondary which is not as talented as the version on the field at the beginning of the season. One that that includes inexperienced players such as Landry and Torrence who don't always make the right reads and are sometimes out of position.

Given the current state, what would you do differently? More man coverage, with those safeties and those cornerbacks??? I think that's foolhardy and wishful thinking.

I don't think you can "scheme" your way out of these injuries.

Excellent post.

I have to believe that a few of those passes are picked if Sean Taylor is back there. The Cowbums might not even had tried them had ST been back there.

But the thing that gets me is Greg Williams is supposed to have coached these guys up. Even the back ups. He was so arrogant in the past about how you can plug people into his system. I didn't expect Prileau or Doughty to hit or tackle like ST but covering is another thing.

The Skins def also need to get off the feild on 3rd and longs. It was totally unacceptable for the Cowbums to score a TD on 3rd and 19. The Eagles had a 3rd and 21 last week. They also eventually scored after picking up a large chunk of yardage on 3rd down. Thats ridiculous. That shouldn't happen even without Sean Taylor.

Disagree.

No way TO gets 4 TDs w/ ST in the game. TO actually fears ST. Look at the previous games & TO has his head on a damn swivel - always looking for where ST is. And, ST hits him every single chance he gets. ST was the difference in a very well fought game.

R.

PS. God I hate the damn Cowboys, their owner(s), coaches, players (past and present) and most of all their pathetic "fans". Christ I hope we can turn this season around...

PPS It's not about "jamming" TO off the line, it's about ST trying to remove his freaking head all day long. That's what keeps TO in check... fear of ST.

Funny you should ask. My thought was that going man to man, doubling TO, would have been the way to go. Mostly, I saw a secondary confused by its zone assignments.

My sense was that the Boys were going to beat our Cover Two up the middle no matter what. ST wouldn't have made much difference in that. That TD against our Cover Three where Springs let TO get behind him and Prioleau took a bad angle might have been prevented by Taylor, but there's no guarantee. Taylor's taken a few bad angles himself.

Funny you should ask. My thought was that going man to man, doubling TO, would have been the way to go. Mostly, I saw a secondary confused by its zone assignments.

My sense was that the Boys were going to beat our Cover Two up the middle no matter what. ST wouldn't have made much difference in that. That TD against our Cover Three where Springs let TO get behind him and Prioleau took a bad angle might have been prevented by Taylor, but there's no guarantee. Taylor's taken a few bad angles himself.

I think you're missing the point on Prioleau. Prioleau took a bad angle because he was nowhere near TO when he caught the ball. Taylor has the range and instincts to be defending that pass.

You can't say on any given play that Taylor would have made the proverbial difference, but I do know that when Taylor's been in there teams don't even try passing to the deep middle of the field, and they're much more tentative about going deep down the sidelines.

it's not that fact that taylor was being replaced by other players that hurt us, so much as that without taylor in the game, we could not make the adjustments that we needed to make in the secondary. that combined with the fact that carlos is out forced us into a tampa-2 defense with back-up safeties.

do you really think that we could have dropped into a cover-3 with doughty in the deep middle or matched up man to man all day? this is no excuse for us not making the plays, but you can't fault the adjustments because without taylor, we did not have the personel to make the adjustments.

Archived