Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Map of the World's Heaviest Drinkers

China

Consumption.gif

This map illustrates the average number of litres of alcohol consumed per capita based on data from 2003. The figures for individual states were taken from the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA) and the figures for the other countries were taken from the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD).

http://www.unusualmaps.com/Consumption.html

Oh, and what about Latin America, Asia and Africa: do they not drink in those places or are they not part of the "world"? :laugh:

I'm guessing the data was not available? :whoknows:

And congrats Nevada. You have confirmed my hypothesis: you would have to be drunk all the time to live in that dump of a state (weekend visits to Vegas, however, are just fine!)

OK, I'm calling BS on this one. . .well in the case of NH. . .

First, NH has a very VERY small population. . .Second, they sell alcohol on Sundays. Massachusetts used to have Puritanistic blue laws on the books about selling alcohol on Sundays until about 2 years ago. . .

So what does that have to do with this study? Well, my "guess" would be that the average person in NH doesn't consume that much alcohol, but the numbers are skewed from the Masshol3s going over the border on Sundays to get their liquor. Heck, I've made the NH package store run at least 40-50 times in my life, and during football season, it was almost a given. . .now, this doesn't even MENTION that Masshol3s who live along the border by all their booze and cigs from NH. Yes, a carton of Marlboros is $29 in NH compared to $50 in Mass. There is no alcohol tax either, so for things like weddings, people run up to NH and buy $1500 worth of booze and save a few hundred dollars.

So in other words, the data fails to show the impact of non NH residents going across state lines to get their fix on sundays, and to get their cheap booze. In fact I would venture a guess that probably 20-30% of the sales of alcohol in NH is to people from other states (I'd have to look it up, but that would be an initial guess). So as the saying goes. . .don't always believe what you read, there are other hidden meanings in everything in reality ;)

Yea, lots of ways this data can be skewed.

Las Vegas probably amounts to most of Nevada's alcohol...

But per capita, Las Vegas is filled with tourists, not actual residents, thus making it look like they buy more than there actually is.

The same as Delaware (as mentioned). As far as tourism goes, the beaches and tax-free shopping of Delaware encourage a lot of visits from non-residents, thus skewing the numbers.

As for why WV isn't as high as you'd think...

I guess they can't keep tabs of all moonshine people make themselves ;).

First, NH has a very VERY small population. . .Second, they sell alcohol on Sundays. Massachusetts used to have Puritanistic blue laws on the books about selling alcohol on Sundays until about 2 years ago. . .

So what does that have to do with this study? Well, my "guess" would be that the average person in NH doesn't consume that much alcohol, but the numbers are skewed from the Masshol3s going over the border on Sundays to get their liquor. Heck, I've made the NH package store run at least 40-50 times in my life, and during football season, it was almost a given. . .now, this doesn't even MENTION that Masshol3s who live along the border by all their booze and cigs from NH. Yes, a carton of Marlboros is $29 in NH compared to $50 in Mass. There is no alcohol tax either, so for things like weddings, people run up to NH and buy $1500 worth of booze and save a few hundred dollars.

So in other words, the data fails to show the impact of non NH residents going across state lines to get their fix on sundays, and to get their cheap booze. In fact I would venture a guess that probably 20-30% of the sales of alcohol in NH is to people from other states (I'd have to look it up, but that would be an initial guess). So as the saying goes. . .don't always believe what you read, there are other hidden meanings in everything in reality ;)

yeah well your numbers are skewed because of the Kenedys. NY Drinks MUCH more the M*******s ;)

I just love how we fight over who drinks more :cheers:

We are a binge drinking culture, but few people drink daily as in Europe. Most people save it for special occasions, like football games, bars on weekends, weddings, etc.

Chom- good point on the New Hampshire thing. And other good points on why Nevada and Deleware might have higher rates than they ought to.

I remember back when I took statistics, my teacher basically showed me how every "study" can be deeply flawed, yet people take it at face value.

I think the same goes with Delaware since Penn's beer buying laws are wierd with having to buy them from bars or whatever.

And really, West Virginia that low? Really? Don't they sell liquor in gas stations there?

How convenient that China, the country, doesn't show up in this thread by China, the thread starter. Hmmmm....

Have you ever had Mao tai. It's nasty. The Chinese don't want to advertise that they're willing to drink that stuff, so the government conveniently doesn't put out drinking statistics. :)

Archived