Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Looking ahead its hard NOT to be optimistic

CurseReversed

Lets, for a second, try to put all that has happened in a bit of perspective.

First we have given away a whole lot of games. We have had bad injury problems, questionable calls by officials, even more questionable calls by the coaching staff, and a lot of execution problems.

Yet even with all that we still have a winning record, a shot at getting a playoff birth, and more importantly evidence that we are one of the best teams in the NFC.

Lets not forget that we were clobbering the giants by 14 at half, beating the pack soundly by 7 at half, and up on philly last weekend by 5 (should have been 7). These are some of the best teams in the NFC. (even philly) Even though we lost those games, I think we showed ourselves to be as good or a better overall team. We just happen to not know how to close, which yes, is a BIG Problem. But the talent and ability is NO DOUBT there.

And the best part is it still should be there should we make it.

It is my belief that we will make it into the playoffs, and here's why.

The lions are the only team we really have to watch out for right now, and any other contenders that pop up will have to make a serious run to over take them. Lets take a look at their schedule compared to ours:

NYG@DET.......... WAS@DAL

GB@DET............ WAS@TB

DET@MIN........... BUF@WAS

DAL@DET.......... CHI@WAS

DET@SD............ WAS@NYG

KC@DET............ WAS@MIN

DET@GB............ DAL@WAS

They still have to play GB twice!! They also have to play dallas and nyg who are probably the two next best teams in the NFC. Not to mention an away game in SD. All we have to do is win one more game then them with this schedule. And I already see five games they could easily loose. They are so lucky to have gotten the two best teams in the NFCE so far at home.

Now we could definitely come up on the short end of this stick with the way we have been playing and with taylor out. But given the circumstances we cant hope for a worse team with a harder remaining schedule to be up against. It is my opinion that Detroit is a pretender and they are very beatable. They only have one win against a team with a winning record so far this year, and all their losses were bad ones.

Here is the most important part. If we do make it into the playoffs and manage to stay relatively healthy in other areas, even though we look like a crappy team that cant close right now, by the time january comes around we will have a healthy randy thomas, sean taylor and santana moss. This makes us a DEADLY team. I am not scared at all about going into green bay with a team that is arguably healthier and more experienced then the one that handled them for most of the game the first time around.

I am as frustrated as any other skins fan with how our season has looked so far, but we have shown ourselves to be just as good as any other team in the NFC with far less to work with. Once our o-line is healthy and a few key players get back we can contend with anyone. Just imagine our run game with randy thomas back :)

Other factors..

In our favor:

1. JC is getting to call his own plays and spread the field

2. CP is showing up again

3. Randy is getting closer to returning

4. If it comes down to a tiebreaker between AZ or Detroit.. We beat them :D

Not in our favor

1. Sean Taylor is hurt

2. Sean Taylor is not playing

3. Our D gradually is sucking more every week

4. Gibbs/Saunders won't release redzone calling (pure speculation on my part at this point)

5. Sean Taylor is not in the lineup for a few games

don't count the eagles out. They play the dolphins next week. If we lose and they win, we'll both be at 5-5.

Your right we are going to have to lookout for the eagles and more importantly New orleans. NO has a cupcake of a schedule left, but luckily the eagles still have to play NE which is almost an auto loss. Luckily no team behind us in the wildcard hunt has a tiebreaker over us.

just posting to make sure you guys remember how battered the giants and the eagles (first and second times) were when we played them.

the packers played down to our level because of the weather, in my opinion. for every close game we've lost, we've won a close game as well. we have not been destroying any teams like dallas has been (except for detroit which was a legitimate win, although a lot of our points were from suisham and the defense)

i am just losing faith in this coaching staff. our players are dropping from injuries and we will no longer have the benefit of watching the games played with top of line players... it will be getting ugly from here

If the Giants fall apart again this year then both wild card spots are going to be up for grabs.

Right now it looks like we need to catch up to Detroit. Hopefully the Eagles stay a game or two behind us and at least the 2nd wild card spot is ours for the taking!!!

just posting to make sure you guys remember how battered the giants and the eagles (first and second times) were when we played them.

the packers played down to our level because of the weather, in my opinion. for every close game we've lost, we've won a close game as well. we have not been destroying any teams like dallas has been (except for detroit which was a legitimate win, although a lot of our points were from suisham and the defense)

i am just losing faith in this coaching staff. our players are dropping from injuries and we will no longer have the benefit of watching the games played with top of line players... it will be getting ugly from here

Hmm I dont remember them being any less battered then we were. The giants still had usi, strahan, eli and plaxico playing. The eagles had westbrook mcnabb and dawkins both times. Those are probably their best players. They definitely had some injuries but no more then we.

Sorry but GB did NOT play down to our level. If you watch that game a few times it can be argued that the weather helped them not hurt them. We dominated that game in every single statistical category EXCEPT score. We even had one more turnover and three more penalties then them. They did not look like the better team.

First we have given away a whole lot of games. We have had bad injury problems, questionable calls by officials, even more questionable calls by the coaching staff, and a lot of execution problems.

Some interesting, if debatable points, but what made me roll my eyes was leading off with "bad inury problems, questionable calls by officials."

Give me a break - leading off with excuses is a poor way to convince others that a cold-eyed look at reality is in the offing.

For every so-called "questionable call by officals," I'm sure I could give you counter-examples. The officiating has only been a problem to those who ALWAYS think the refs are out to get their team.

they play the pats after, though.

And we have to play Dallas twice. Eagles have the Pats and Dallas remaining. 2 guaranteed losses for both teams.

I think 10-6 (7-5 conf) will get us a wild card.

That means we have to win @Bucs, Bills, Bears, @Vikes and at least one of these games @Dallas, @Giants, Dallas.

Some interesting, if debatable points, but what made me roll my eyes was leading off with "bad inury problems, questionable calls by officials."

Give me a break - leading off with excuses is a poor way to convince others that a cold-eyed look at reality is in the offing.

For every so-called "questionable call by officals," I'm sure I could give you counter-examples. The officiating has only been a problem to those who ALWAYS think the refs are out to get their team.

I wasnt really attempting a cold eyed look at reality more like an optimistic view of potential with some points to back it up. Bad injury problems isnt an excuse, its a reality. Questionable calls by officials was, as I said, to a much lesser extent then the questionable calls by the coaches. Execution is also a lot higher on the list then the referees...sorry if the order of my excuses dulled my analysis to you. :)

I dont really need to make excuses, I can agree that our losses are as much our fault as any other variable. I was kind of just disclaiming all of the factors as I saw them. But I did see all the games, four times apiece atleast.

I know what I saw when we played the best teams in our division and it wasnt the performance of a inferior team, thats for sure.

BTW the refs ARE always out to get us ;)

Sure Detroit has the toughest road to go, everyone knows this. But the Lions aren't the only team we are competiting with to get into the playoffs. We should not be at 5-4 right now, our seasons going to get tougher and we just lost our number one Defensive player. I see nothing to be optimistic about, were going to lose in Dallas probably as badly as we did in New England, then we have to play in Tampa and we've had bad luck there, then we play Buffalo who is turning it on right now. Three games I can easily see the Skins losing. We are banged up as a team and our coaching staff is losing us games. I'll be optimistic about seeing Heroes next week not seeing the football game :(

Other factors..

Not in our favor

1. Sean Taylor is hurt

2. Sean Taylor is not playing

3. Our D gradually is sucking more every week

4. Gibbs/Saunders won't release redzone calling (pure speculation on my part at this point)

5. Sean Taylor is not in the lineup for a few games

I think this list wouldnt be accurate without a fourth sean taylor reference

6. sean taylor is the best defensive player we have and hes not playing:D

We are going to miss him, I can only hope that we go 2-2 in the stretch of games that he doesnt play:(

Hmm I dont remember them being any less battered then we were. The giants still had usi, strahan, eli and plaxico playing. The eagles had westbrook mcnabb and dawkins both times. Those are probably their best players. They definitely had some injuries but no more then we.

Sorry but GB did NOT play down to our level. If you watch that game a few times it can be argued that the weather helped them not hurt them. We dominated that game in every single statistical category EXCEPT score. We even had one more turnover and three more penalties then them. They did not look like the better team.

that may be true about green bay, i havent been able to find many videos of the games this year (probably lack of motivation since our play has been so crappy) but how many teams in the league out-stat their opponents like that and still lose the game? there have been instances, im sure, but for us, EVERY WEEK is a struggle to win or lose by a few points.

the giants were basically in shambles and we were supposed to be excited b/c their secondary was one of the weakest around. the eagles this week were on the verge of total disintegration if mcnabb was forced into poor playing.

sure, campbell had one of his best statistical days on sunday, but that buys us nothing. we still are a mediocre team at best. i just don't agree that it's hard not to be optimistic. in the past, i've always found it hard to be pessimistic, but it's just not going to get any better this season. i fear that it will be very ugly by the end.

There are only 2 good teams in the NFC: Dallas and Green Bay. One of those teams will be fodder for the Pats. Detriot and NY are next but they are shaky and could slid.

The Skins are just a mediocre team in a conference that is mostly full of mediocre or bad teams.

I love the redskins chances in the playoffs with taylor and thomas back against any of those teams except dallas. Our games against them have shown me that. How we might fare against dallas we wont know until the last game of the season because next week without taylor could be ugly.

Archived