Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Take Time to Thank a Vet Today

Sarge

http://www.washingtontimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071111/NATION/111110030/1001

There are 24 million Americans with these common memories. In the next few hours, many of the nation's veterans will recall their military service — the highs and lows, the guts and glory — not to mention boots, buddies, commanders, bivouacs, chow, deployments, homecomings.

Hoo-ah. Oo-rah. Hip-hip. But wear your medals today. That's an order.

The Department of Veterans Affairs has suggested all vets pin on their military decorations on Veterans Day for a well-earned display of personal pride and patriotism. There's more at stake, though.

"By wearing our decorations, we show the world the unity of our support for U.S. armed forces," said Gordon Mansfield, acting Veterans Affairs secretary and a combat-wounded Vietnam vet.

"We also teach the meaning and the value of military service to the children of America," he added.

That appreciation may get some extra kick. President Bush's 2008 budget includes nearly $87 billion for veterans — the highest level of support for former warriors in history. The White House also has asked the nation to honor them all week in fitting fashion by displaying a flag or through commemorative events and prayer.

Many Americans are eager to do just that.

American Legion Post 26 in Niles, Mich. — in the farming country southwest of the state's namesake Great Lake — plans a memorial service with taps and a traditional soldiers' dinner afterward of cornbread and beans.

In nearby Buchanan, Theodore J. "Dutch" Van Kirk, navigator of the B-29 atomic bomb-carrying Enola Gay, will recall his military career; in Hartford City, Ind., local veterans will dedicate a new flagpole in the town's Veterans Park at noon.

On the Atlantic coast of Florida, the townspeople of Stuart will present a program titled "Celebrating Our National Treasures: A Salute to Veterans of All Wars" this afternoon. There are parades planned in Knoxville, Tenn.; Phoenix; Atlanta; Houston; and Milwaukee, among the many star-spangled salutes rolling down main streets around the country.

We don't forget our own. On Friday, the Defense Department quietly announced that the remains of a U.S. serviceman, missing in action from the Korean War, have been identified and will be returned to his family for burial with full military honors.

Army Cpl. Clem Boody of Independence, Iowa, was lost Nov. 2, 1950, near Unsan, North Korea — and returned with the assistance of the North Korean government and some mediating help from New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson and former Veterans Affairs Secretary Anthony J. Principi. The fallen soldier has been awarded a posthumous Purple Heart.

We continue to respect our military. Almost three quarters of Americans — 71 percent — have a favorable opinion of our troops, according to a Rasmussen Reports survey of 1,000 adults conducted Nov. 2-4.

"Forty-five percent consider Veterans Day one of the nation's most important holidays. Only 7 percent consider it among the least important," the survey said. "The holiday strikes home for many Americans — 36 percent have close friends or relatives who have given their lives while serving in the U.S. military."

Americans continue to look up to the troops: 81 percent consider a military career to be prestigious, according to a Harris poll of 1,010 adults released in August — outranking the esteem we feel for police, the clergy, members of Congress, business leaders, journalists, athletes, entertainers and members of 10 other professions.

The public also is eager for heartfelt military news, not just the partisan wranglings over the Iraq war. Two-thirds of Americans say the challenges faced by soldiers returning home have received too little press coverage, while 61 percent say reports about "soldiers' personal experiences" have been undercovered, according to a Nov. 9 analysis released by the Pew Research Center for the People and the Press.

Veterans Day originated as "Armistice Day" on Nov. 11, 1919, marking the first anniversary of the end of World War I. Seven years later, Congress passed a resolution for an annual observance; Nov. 11 became a national holiday in 1938. President Dwight D. Eisenhower signed legislation in 1954 to change the name to Veterans Day to honor those who served in all American wars.

http://www.americanthinker.com/2007/11/an_open_letter_of_thanks_to_ve.html

In my opinion, our American military veterans have really gotten the public shaft for nearly 40 years. So, I'm determined to put in my two cents' worth for anyone who cares to read it.

Let me start by simply saying, "Thank you." To every man and woman who preserved my liberty this year, and for all of you who have ever proudly worn our Nation's uniform, I say, "Thank you!"

Today I read a book, which I bought from a bookstore a mile from my home. There are more books in that Barnes & Noble than once filled an entire library, and they represent the independent thought and ideas of thousands and thousands of people living free. For this weighty privilege, I say, "Thank you!"

Last Sunday, I attended mass with my family. We worshiped God in the exact manner of our own choosing. And I am sadly reminded that there are millions of other people still suffering dire religious persecution, even death, doled out by governments that do not respect this inalienable right. To all my American soldiers, past and present, I say, "Thank you!"

Our daughter went to college classes today. There she studies and argues with her professors. She is hammering out her own view of the world in safety, and with the dignity of a free woman in charge of her own destiny. To all of you veterans, wherever you are, she and I say, "Thank you!"

For the dozens of freedoms that we ordinary citizens have enjoyed every single day of our lives in America, we are grateful to you. We take it all for granted, you know, and only express our thanks one day a year. I'm ashamed of that, truly ashamed.

We hardly ever stop to even consider the sacrifices you have made and are making this very day in far away places, with scant comfort, if any at all, and yet you don't complain. You just continue to serve and give and demonstrate genuine love for us every day. Day in and day out. In danger. In fatigue. In strange places all over the world. We are more indebted to you than we will ever even comprehend.

I am ashamed of my Countrymen who denounce you, who call you despicable names, who tell the world you are criminals. These scoundrels don't deserve the freedom for which you risk your lives. But the truth is that none of us deserves what you do.

And it is also true, that unless one has been in battle, one does not truly understand the depth of your passion for liberty. To families that have borne no soldiers, you are an enigma. To cowards, you are a shaming presence, a constant reminder of their weakness. To your parents, you represent both the mountaintop of pride, and the deepest valley of concern that mothers and fathers can ever know. And to most of us ordinary citizens, you are the unseen, under-appreciated protectors of all that we hold dear.

I have lived in America all my life, for 56 years now, and every single night when I have laid my head upon my pillow, you were somewhere watching over my safety. For every single one of those nights of peaceful rest, I simply say, "Thank you!"

You serve and fight for the greatest Nation in the history of civilization. There has never been a grievous wrong that good Americans have not sought to rectify. There has never been a just cause on which America has turned her back for long. You, our soldiers, have been and continue to be, the greatest force for freedom and human rights ever gathered. You have raised our flag around the world, not for domination, but to bring greater liberty and a better way of life. You are the reason America remains a beacon of hope to the entire world.

You seek neither glory nor riches, nor even fame. You are our best, our brightest, our bravest. Please always know that even when we don't show it, we love you. We appreciate you. We thank you. And we will never forget you or forsake you.

God bless the old Vets who earned their medals. Seems we're just giving a lot of them away these days. Bronze Star to a CMSgt who never left his desk, Purple Heart to a Cpt. who got a concussion when an IED went off. It just doesn't seem fair to those who kick major ass and all they have to show for it is their medals. It's hard for me to look at myself as a Vet knowing what the guys who fought in II, Korea and Viet Nam went through. Poor ****s didn't even have internet.

I still get emotional seeing the old vets proudly wearing their uniforms and saluting the flag with as much pride and passion as the day they signed on the dotted line. God bless them all and thanks for paving the way for those currently serving and for those that will serve in the future. I salute them all.

I talked to an old Vietnam guy today. I love war stories, adn those old timers love to tell them, which works out best for both

And I hear you about the medals. I got my Bronze Star in Afghanistan, but the funny thing is I also dislocated my solder by not watching where I was going while trying to send some folks to meet allah, and they wanted to give me a Purple Heart. :doh:

I would have been embarrassed to take it

I talked to an old Vietnam guy today. I love war stories, adn those old timers love to tell them, which works out best for both

And I hear you about the medals. I got my Bronze Star in Afghanistan, but the funny thing is I also dislocated my solder by not watching where I was going while trying to send some folks to meet allah, and they wanted to give me a Purple Heart. :doh:

I would have been embarrassed to take it

We're on the same page brother. I'm sure you earned your BS Sarge, but there's way too many who don't. Our CO is the biggest assclown I've had the displeasure to serve under in quite sometime and they gave him one too. It just tarnishes the prestige of the medal for those that acutally earned it.

The Cpt they're giving a Purple heart, dumb ass was convoy commander who was in the turret of his HUMMV when he wasn't supposed to be. Now they're going to reward his ass for getting a bad headache. :doh: It just frustrates me when crap like this goes on knowing theres old timers out there who deserve a hell of a lot more than what they got. Again, I salute them.

We're on the same page brother. I'm sure you earned your BS Sarge, but there's way too many who don't. Our CO is the biggest assclown I've had the displeasure to serve under in quite sometime and they gave him one too. It just tarnishes the prestige of the medal for those that acutally earned it.

The Cpt they're giving a Purple heart, dumb ass was convoy commander who was in the turret of his HUMMV when he wasn't supposed to be. Now they're going to reward his ass for getting a bad headache. :doh: It just frustrates me when crap like this goes on knowing theres old timers out there who deserve a hell of a lot more than what they got. Again, I salute them.

I know. When you think of the guys that really got shot up and screwed up for life, I dont know how anyone can accept the same medal for a paper cut and not be embarrassed

salute1.jpg

OW long will ye slumber? when will ye take heart

And fear the reproach of your neighbors at hand?

Fie! comrades, to think ye have peace for your part,

Whilst the sword and the arrow are wasting our land!

Shame! grasp the shield close! cover well the bold breast!

Aloft raise the spear as ye march on your foe!

With no thought of retreat, with no terror confessed,

Hurl your last dart in dying, or strike your last blow.

Oh, 't is noble and glorious to fight for our all,--

For our country, our children, the wife of our love!

Death comes not the sooner; no soldier shall fall,

Ere his thread is spun out by the sisters above.

Once to die is man's doom; rush, rush to the fight!

He cannot escape, though his blood were Jove's own.

For a while let him cheat the shrill arrow by flight;

Fate will catch him at last in his chamber alone.

Unlamented he dies; -- unregretted. Not so,

When, the tower of his country, in death falls the brave;

Thrice hallowed his name amongst all, high or low,

As with blessings alive, so with tears in the grave.

Callinus ~ 7th Century

I'm a little surprised more isn't made of Veteran's Day here. It seems to be little more than an excuse for another government three-day weekend. Even the schools don't recognize it.

In England just about everything stops at the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month. I remember playing sports and at 11.00 am the refs would stop the game for a minute's silence.

Granted, the First World War had a much, much greater impact there, but given the military's role here I'd expect a greater recognition of the day.

My thanks to all who served...this says it much better than I could.

"Veterans Day provides our nation the opportunity to reflect thankfully on the sacrifices of those who have served the cause of freedom.

"In the last century more than 619,000 Americans in uniform were killed on battlefields around the world protecting our nation and our way of life.

"We cannot thank them all sufficiently. It is beyond human capability to grasp the enormity of what they gave so the rest of us might enjoy life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. We can, however, reflect on the unique quality of America 's veterans and their service.

"From Bunker Hill to New Orleans, Gettysburg to San Juan Hill, Belleau Wood to Normandy, Chosin Reservoir to Khe San, Desert Storm to Kabul, Baghdad to Fallujah, American veterans have represented the finest of human qualities. "Greater love hath no man than he who lays down his life for another" is what the Bible tells us. Our veterans have made that sacrifice unflinchingly, with a character that General Douglas MacArthur described as "stainless." They make the sacrifice for their comrades in arms, their "buddies" and the immediate mission at hand. But in a greater sense they have made the sacrifice for millions of Americans whom they do not know and who do not know them.

"And uniquely, American veterans have not brought subjugation to the nations they prevailed in, but rather brought freedom. From the Philippines to Japan , to Germany , to El Salvador and Panama … America has never coveted another nation, but has only asked that freedom be followed and that the institutions of freedom be established, often with American aid.

"All of us, secure in America 's blessings can honor our veterans today. We can do this by thanking them personally, by involving ourselves in the many organizations that serve veterans and their families and, finally, we can follow their model of selflessness by helping our fellow citizens wherever we see a need." D Hunter

Hope all my brothers and sisters in uniform had a great Veteran's Day.

At the game yesterday, right after the National Anthem, they asked that all veterans remain standing and asked the crowd to show their appreciation. It was a small gesture, but it really meant a lot to me. I also had several people say "thanks" to me personally yesterday. Just little things like that are all the thanks I need and I'd like to thank all those who support us. :cheers:

QUOTE]

Awards are given to a quota any more. Our CO was told to give all Platoon Sergeants and Platoon Leaders BS's.

Are any of you veterans that could NOT get the day off today? I'm sitting here at work feeling bitter that I had to come in. :( (Or maybe just still depressed by yesterday's game, but either way I'm a vet and I don't want to work right now.) ;)

My dad is working today so he can take off Friday. :silly:

Archived