Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL fines Owens $10,000 for towel-waving celebration

DWinzit

I can hear the no fun league being screamed on this one!

NFL fines Owens $10,000 for towel-waving celebration

Once again,Terrell Owens' NFL touchdown celebrations cost him.

The flamboyant Dallas Cowboys wide receiver was fined $10,000 for violating league uniform and equipment rules by the NFL, The Dallas Morning News reported Thursday.

The newspaper said that Owens was penalized for waving a personalized towel during Dallas' 38-17 win over Philadelphia on Sunday, a move that was picked up by television cameras.

It was the second time this season he's been fined for violating league rules after a touchdown.

Earlier this season, Owens was fined $7,500 for a celebration that included using the goal post and football to poke fun at the New England Patriots' spying scandal during Dallas' 37-20 victory over Miami this past Sunday.

The newspaper quoted the Cowboys wide receiver as saying the league has squeezed much of the fun out of the game for him and many others.

"It's stuff like that," Owens told the Morning News. "People try to make a big deal out of it. It's not any different than Chad [Johnson] going to the sidelines and taking [out] a coat. All I had was a little towel, and now they want to make that into a big deal."

Last week, Johnson was fined $5,000 for wearing "Ocho Cinco" on a Velco nameplate across the back of his uniform. "Ocho Cinco," signifying his uniform No. 85, is the name by which Johnson said he wanted to be called the day leading up to the game.

Owens is coming off his best game in his two seasons with Dallas, a 10-catch, 174-yard performance Sunday night at Philadelphia, his former team that nearly two years to the date had banished him before eventually releasing him.

The Cowboys play Sunday at the New York Giants, a rematch of the season opener in which Owens had three catches for 87 yards and two TDs in a 45-35 victory.

At the midpoint of the season, Owens has 44 catches for 730 yards and six touchdowns.

I really don't get this. I definitely don't like these kinds of antics and I wouldn't want a player on our team doing something like that, but there's no need for rules or fines against them. I mean, the spy camera thing was actually pretty funny. So what if he waves a towel? We all know he's a jerk. Let him be a jerk.

Not a fan of this fine regardless of how I feel about TO. I don't think he was blatently breaking any rules intentionally. Certainly not 10k worth.

And wasnt Chad fined for the Ocho Cinco velcro last year ?

I thought that was BS too. He took it off BEFORE the game started. He was only wearing it during warmups.

towel.jpg

Also one of the reasons I have read regarding the fine is because it was not an NFL officially licensed item.

I still hate this idea. I am all for a clean game with sportsmanship. But this isn't taunting, it isn't really advertising. None of us would have even realized that it was an item TO was selling until this happened.

Also one of the reasons I have read regarding the fine is because it was not an NFL officially licensed item.

I still hate this idea. I am all for a clean game with sportsmanship. But this isn't taunting, it isn't really advertising. None of us would have even realized that it was an item TO was selling until this happened.

Agreed. I hate TO as much as the next Skins fan, but that is a BS move..

It is a really cut, and dry rule. No props, or non NFL merchandise allowed. TO was basically waving around an AD for his towel. He sells it on his web site. The fine was so high, because he is a habitual offender.

Well, he should be fined in accordance with the rule, but I think the rule itself should be called into question. It's pretty obvious why the NFL would prohibit non-NFL merchandise: money and nothing else. It doesn't detract from the game, just from certain people's wallets.

I believe this is ridiculous.

For the ones saying he was advertising a product not sponsored by the NFL, he didnt advertise anything nobody knew they could buy those towels on his website based on him waving it. He also was not waving it at the camera, he was waving it at the crowd and then a camera man cut to him. Heck you didnt even see it on the live game they came after the commercial and showed it on replay.

exactly, the NFL did more to advertise it now, then he did during the game

Didn't I see a Cleveland Brown wave around a flag then plant it in the endzone? I don't recall hearing anything about him getting fined. Towel waving though...

Larry Johnson.

He scored a TD and the flag waver guy was running past him. He grabbed the flag and waved it in the air real quick and planted in the ground, then ran off. He was fined $7,500 I believe.

I think both of these fines are ridiculous. I don't think there should be a fine for either one, but LJ should've been fined more I believe, as TO was on the sidelines and LJ was in the middle of the field. It's also a bit steep if you ask me. I mean, thousands of dollars...for waving a piece of cloth?! :rolleyes:

If this was a first offense and he was fined any amount it would be ridiculous. Fact is TO has been a marked man since the Sharpie incident!

<

<

<

<

Ha, get it, marked.....Sharpie:doh:

Umm this was his first offense, he was not fined for celebration or anything like that, he was fined for using an object that was not licensed by the NFL

Thats not true. How many people do you think know what goes on between games? I'd venture to guess it's a whole lot less than actually watch any given game. Most people aren't NFL geeks like we are.

him waving the towel and saying nothing did not advertise the product since he never mentioned the product was for sale or where to get it.

The articles written about it in papers, pft etc and now the fine that has been shown all over ESPN advertised it

Why is a fine for habitual behavior a bad thing?

It's not like he hadn't been warned or fined before.

Why should TO get a pass?

It isn't his league.

It should have been $100,000.

Apparently he hadn't been warned before.

COWBOYS NOTES

Waving his 'Touchdown Towel' costs Owens $10,000

By CLARENCE E. HILL JR.

Star-Telegram staff writer

IRVING -- Cowboys receiver Terrell Owens has been fined $10,000 by the NFL for waving his "Touchdown Towel" during Dallas' 38-17 victory over Philadelphia on Sunday night.

Owens sells the towel on his Web site, TerrellOwens.com, but waving it during a game is against league rules because it's not an officially licensed NFL product.

Owens said the fine is unfair and plans to appeal it.

He also said he's done it before. He said he wasn't warned before being fined.

http://www.star-telegram.com/332/story/297281.html

Archived