Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com: Vikings dock WR Williamson pay for missing game to attend funeral

redskns21

That's just classless!

I can't remember the story exactly. Didn't Snyder find out one of our players couldn't make it to the funeral of a former players daughter? So he flew everybody that wanted to go in his private jet. Now that's class, whether you like Snyder or not.

My grandmother passed away last week. My boss told me to go be with my family. The same thing he told me in April when my other grandmother passed away. FYI, I get 3 days for each grandparent. I will officially be rooting against the Vikings every week.

The Vikings as a whole is a classless organization and **** that "Business Prinicple" that Childress was talking about.

Didn't he practice all week long? Isn't a game check the equivalent of weekly pay?

If they want to deny him money because he didn't play, fine. But pay him for the time he did spend with the team. An entire weekly paycheck because a family member died? Stupid.

My grandmother passed away last week. My boss told me to go be with my family. The same thing he told me in April when my other grandmother passed away. FYI, I get 3 days for each grandparent. I will officially be rooting against the Vikings every week.

You have my smpathaties and prayers in your loss.

ES posters we must never lose site that athletic teams are businesses first.This could easily be the Redskins.

Speechless. When I first read the article, I was thinking that maybe, just maybe, that the person who passed away was some long lost friend or something that Williamson had not spoken to in 10 years. With that being the case, I thought it was horrid but mildly understandable as you can't let every employee attend every memorial (at least in the business world; thus, many of us have bereavement clauses in our empoyee contracts...)

And now, after finding out that it was his maternal grandmother...I am speechless. I can't even fathom this idiocy....

Guest sith lord

And you wonder why guys holdout for the best possible deal. The next time any of you accuse a player of not being loyal, think of this situation.

You have my smpathaties and prayers in your loss.

ES posters we must never lose site that athletic teams are businesses first.This could easily be the Redskins.

JJG said Springs could miss the game because his father was in a COMA.

There are plenty of guys in the NFL who were raised by their Grandmother...This is as IMMEDIATE a family member as you can get with many !

These guys LIVE for football ! If he was willing to skip a game for this...Imagine how important it was !

I am sure this will do wonders for team chemistry.

Considering what he cost the Viking in the draft, I'm sure they view Williamson as a disappointment. I bet they'd have paid him if he had better numbers over the past few seasons!

That and the fact they save half of the average annual salary of the average American by not paying him for not showing up to work makes it a business decision!

So the majority of Americans make $46,000 a year? I didn't know the average went up from the high 20's so fast.

Say what you will about Dan Snyder but he would not have done that...

I don't know about that. We can talk about how Snyder is treating Springs right now and how noble it is. But how would Snyder act if it were Lloyd in this situation, or Arrington a few years ago? or Archuletta last year? Thats the situation that Williamson is in in Minnesota.

Not saying that I approve of how the Vikings handled this, but he cost them a lot of money and draft picks, so they just plain out don't like him and it wouldn't surprise me if this was done particularly to spite him.

Guest sith lord

More info has surfaced. From what I heard, Williamson had been away from the team for 9 days prior to the funeral. The Viking's policy is one day for a grandparent's death which Williamson was granted and they allowed him more time as needed.

Williamson's agent, David Canter, revealed last week that his client's older brother was injured in an automobile accident in September and that he has been hospitalized in Georgia, where he has been in and out of a coma. He said Williamson, who has been able to spend only a little time visiting his brother, has been battling through the ordeal of "a grieving and healing" process and that his family is his first priority.

"What we have is both of the situations and circumstances coming to a head," Canter said. "His brother is in the hospital, and who knows what his health status will be? And then his grandma passing. He needs to be with his family. The Vikings are his extended family, and hopefully he can come back and continue to work to be the most successful he can be."

Good night....think the Vikings could have a bit more sympathy knowing what Willaimson has been going through???

More info has surfaced. From what I heard, Williamson had been away from the team for 9 days prior to the funeral. The Viking's policy is one day for a grandparent's death which Williamson was granted and they allowed him more time as needed.
Good night....think the Vikings could have a bit more sympathy knowing what Willaimson has been going through???

nah, this changes everything. 9 days? I mean I understand that a funeral is important, but whats the limit? 10 days? 20 days? When does it become excessive?

Vikings Defend Decision To Fine Troy Williamson

The Vikings have been almost universally criticized for their decision to dock wide receiver Troy Williamson his game check for skipping the Vikings' game Sunday against the Chargers after the death of his grandmother. But the Vikings are now coming forward to defend themselves. They told ESPN that their bereavement leave policy is universal for all employees, from players to coaches to office staff. The policy is three days of paid leave for the death of a spouse, child, parent or parent-in-law, and one day of paid leave for other family members. Williamson reportedly took nine days off to deal with the death of his grandmother.

Source: Michael David Smith, NFL Fanhouse

3 days for a spouse, child, parent? I'd be putting in my resignation. That lady was basically his mom. I am sorry but this is unacceptable. 9 days is not excessive. He is in Minn and had to travel himself, facilitate family coming in from all over, as well as, plan the funeral.

Sorry, Viks... no dice.

Please take this with a grain of salt because it is PFT, but it sure is interesting!

MINNESOTA MUTINY BREWING?

The decision of the Minnesota Vikings to dock receiver Troy Williamson a game check for missing the Week Nine contest against the Chargers due to the death of his grandmother apparently is having some unintended consequences for coach Brad Childress.

The move, as we hear it, is pushing some veteran players -- and some members of the coaching staff -- toward a revolt against Childress.

Even before the widely-criticized decision to withhold $25,000 and change from Williamson, there were strong signs of discontent. Presiding over a struggling offense and meddling (as we're told) with defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier's work has made Childress a target for quiet (to date) hostility.

The thinking is that the Williamson debacle could create major problems for Childress, unless the decision to take Williamson's game check is quickly reversed.

And we've got a feeling that, if this controversy continues to grow, owner Zygi Wilf might soon feel compelled to make a change, regardless of whether the Vikings run the table (highly unlikely) or rookie running back Adrian Peterson breaks the single-season rushing record (surprisingly possible). Family surely is important to Mr. Wilf, as evidenced by the presence of several folks with that same name at the top of the operation.

Besides, at a time when Wilf is trying desperately to find a way to finagle a new stadium for the Vikings, the P.R. fallout from a family-unfriendly personnel decision could make a steep climb even more treacherous.

So stay tuned. Our guess is that Childress, in a sheer act of self-preservation, will soon decide to give Williamson his game check. And it's entirely possible that Williams would politely tell Childress to stick the check up his own personal ATM.

Beyond 2007, we simply can't see these two men working for the same team. Though it's easy to assume that Williamson will be gone, we're not ready to rule out a termination of Childress.

Archived