Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Draft Scenario: Would you do it?

ZRagone

So this is a bit of a pipe dream of mine, but something i figured I'd throw out for discussion. Personally, I'd love to see Chris Long on this football team. He's an amazing football player and great linemen whose a bit over looked due to his non-mindblowing statistics simply due to the style of football the Wahoo's play. As it stands, we're likely going to be getting at least a mid to high round 1 draft pick. As such, what would you do out of these two scenarios.

Out of the teams that are low on the W/L ratio right now, the only one really hard up for a running back is Oakland, with Lamont having a decent year at first this year but just never living up to the hype.

Would you keep what we would have OR...

Sign Michael Turner to go with Ladell Betts, and trade Clinton Portis and our first round pick to the Oakland Raideres for their 1st and 3rd, if Chris Long is available. Drafting Long in the 1st, and using the 3rd to either get a tall WR or an O-Linemen.

(i know this is an out there scenario, but just figured throw it out for discussion.)

While I'm not familiar with Chris Long I don't feel this scenario is feasible. Michael Turner is going to get a big time contract this offseason. Trading Clinton would give us a huge cap hit. So basically we would have 3 highly paid running backs on the books, with only 2 of them on our roster. A top 5 selection, which Oakland will likely have would also take a large amount of cap space.

Other than that, I don't see Oakland making the deal anyway. Why wouldn't they just sign Michael Turner? Or Michael Bush that they drafted last year. Clinton's value is not high enough to make that trade, nor is any RB's value short of maybe LT or Adrian Peterson if he keeps it up this season. Just as you said this is a pipe dream.

After the Brandon Lloyd trade, and the Champ Bailey trade, and the Tj Duckett Trade, i'm not sure i want this Front Office making anymore trades at all....

BUT I WOULD LOVE TO GET CHRIS LONG!! DUDE IS A BEAST, WITH A NON-STOP MOTOR, AND AN UNRELENTING DESIRE TO SUCCEED!!

I think it's better to wait until the season is over to determine our draft needs.

Sure we are all aware we need help on the o-line right now, but if we can get Jansen & Thomas back both at 100%, is it the biggest need?

Everyone on here has lobbied for a DE, but Chris Wilson could emerge as a great pass rusher for us, or we may fill that spot better with a FA like Jared Allen.

Will CP continue running like he did against the Jets, or will he sputter and look like he lost a step against tougher defenses once again? If we keep our 1st round pick and McFadden or Slaton is available, that may be hard to pass up.

Nobody could argue against us drafting a WR in the first round, and hopefully we get lucky and have a great one available to us, or we trade for Ocho Cinco.

No way in the world Oakland trades there 1st plus a third for Portis. Not gonna happen. Whatever the plan is, I'd not count on Oakland trading what would likely be a top 5 pick for a RB who is probably closer to the end of his career then the start when they can just go out and draft a pretty decent one if they wanted or sign somebody. Besides, Oakland needs OL help in the worst way. They need to draft a franchise LT to protect there QB so I doubt they would be interested in doing a trade like you've outlined. JMO.

Archived