Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why we'll peak at the right time...

D'Pablo

Randy Thomas. He comes in fresh during the last quarter of our season, just when good teams should peak. Lets face it, Fabini is a joke. I've never seen the skins fear running to one side so much. Even when everything is running on all cylinders (pun intended), a single rush to the right will kill a drive. This won't happen with Thomas.

We'll be less predictable with our run game upon his return, that much is a given. That will vary up our playcalling instantly (fewer off tackle runs to the left). Saunders and Campbell will gain that much more confidence in our OL as a whole. This should lead to more play-action based downfield passes. The entire offense will begin to click just as the playoffs are under way.

There isn't a doubt in my mind that our offensive struggles have revolved around our line play. Thomas will be the insta-fix.

Randy Thomas. He comes in fresh during the last quarter of our season' date=' just when good teams should peak. Lets face it, Fabini is a joke. I've never seen the skins fear running to one side so much. Even when everything is running on all cylinders (pun intended), a single rush to the right will kill a drive. This won't happen with Thomas.

We'll be less predictable with our run game upon his return, that much is a given. That will vary up our playcalling instantly (fewer off tackle runs to the left). Saunders and Campbell will gain that much more confidence in our OL as a whole. This should lead to more play-action based downfield passes. The entire offense will begin to click just as the playoffs are under way.

There isn't a doubt in my mind that our offensive struggles have revolved around our line play. Thomas will be the insta-fix.[/quote']

The Skins don't fear running to the right that much. They lead the league running to the right.

This should lead to more play-action based downfield passes.

I noticed a few times in the Jets game that there were some players getting wide open on the right side of the field when JC was rolling out to his left. He kept staring down the covered recievers on the left side without bothering to look to his right. And he had plenty of time. I wish Lazor would help him out with that.

I noticed a few times in the Jets game that there were some players getting wide open on the right side of the field when JC was rolling out to his left. He kept staring down the covered recievers on the left side without bothering to look to his right. And he had plenty of time. I wish Lazor would help him out with that.

JC is trained to make the safe throw, or no throw at all. Throwing across the field - open receiver or not - would make Joe Gibbs explode. Therefore, the robotic creation that is Jason Campbell Redskins QuarterBot 2007 will initiate throw away protocol.

More to the point of the thread...Is it a given that Thomas will return in a month? And if so, how effective can he be, having not played for 3 months and never with Wade?

Guys he has a torn triceps. If he does come back, it won't be until the playoffs until he is effective. This is not madden, where once you come back from an injury, your back to normal.

An o-linemans triceps and chest are the foundation of the technique they use to block.

Is it me or do the redskins always play better offense with these final games each year gibbs has been coach? Its like they have to learn how to be a team each and every year. They can't carry that success over. I wonder why?

while they may have been open, it's very hard for a right handed qb to roll to his left and throw to his right.

The Skins don't fear running to the right that much. They lead the league running to the right.

Yeah but how much production are we getting from running to the right. Fabini gives us to backup OTs blocking on our right side. That is not very conducive to running the ball well. Randy Thomas coming back will be HUGE! I can already picture us running all over the Cowgirls on December 30th!!!:dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck

Is it me or do the redskins always play better offense with these final games each year gibbs has been coach? Its like they have to learn how to be a team each and every year. They can't carry that success over. I wonder why?
I couldnt agree with you more. The past 3 years it seems halfway through the season we have to go backto "Redskins football" and start running the ball the way we should have started the season doing it. I just dont undestand why we cant pick up the way we left off last season and we always have to start over.

If the Skins end up in the playoffs, that means the line is playing well.

So you bring in an ailing Randy Thomas to screw up that chemistry?

I think they should have put him on ice once he got the injury. Just my personal opinion.

Yes. He's the best we have. But when he comes back, he won't be in anything close to game shape, and he won't have the chemistry created on the line.

If the team loses, and doesn't make the playoffs, well then you wasted a roster spot for months.

Randy should be on IR weeks ago.

Thomas is not the answer. Dramatic improvement JC is the only thing that can save this season.

Our remaining schedule looks very difficult without a dramatic improvement from JC--with or without Thomas.

Difficult games for us the rest of the way:

@Dallas

@ NYG

Buffalo

@ Minny

Dallas

Toss-up games

Philly

@ Tampa Bay

Games we should win

Chicago

I wouldn't be surprised to see us lose all of the difficult games they way we are going, so its going be hard for us to get any momentum.

We are 5-3. Even if we win one of the difficult games and win the tossups and easy game, we are looking at 9-7 season.

I don't see how Randy Thomas will change that outlook much. The only that will change that outlook is for JC to finally look like a solid QB.

Randy Thomas is one of the better guards in the league. Our O-line didn't start to suffer until he went down. The offense back then was clicking, just not consistently. Now, w/o Thomas, the offense had regressed until Gibbs put a bigger focus on the run game. I wouldn't be surprised to see the run game continue to improve each week. This, in turn, will open up the pass game. Thomas won't be able to start right away when he does get back from his injury. However, I wouldn't be surprised to see him playing in the last 3 games, when we'll need him most. Anyone who thinks the abscence of a great guard on a run-first team isn't having a very negative affect doesn't know football. Getting Thomas back and healthy enough to start will be huge.

It's not just you...

Historically, Gibbs is at his best in December. This is one reason why it's so important for our overall record to be above .500 leading into dec.

We have a lot of home games in Dec and that's a great thing. What happens in the next 3 games is CRUCIAL. We MUST beat Philly. Losing to Dallas won't hurt terribly but it's important to try to win that one since we play them in week 17, final game of the season AT HOME. It's also very important to win against Tampa Bay since they're looking at wild card implications if they can't hold their lead in the division. It seems most of the NFC teams left in our schedule are in the playoff hunt. Thankfully, we're sitting well at 5-3 but we need to get out there and beat the playoff contenders to negate any tie breakers that may arise.

Most important... we just need to go one game at a time... ;) :cool:

They're all tough games. Thats the point. Noone is going to lay down for you, so speculating that there are easy games remaining is asinine. Granted, the Cowboys look pretty good, so that will be a MORE difficult game to win.

I'm anxious to see how TO acts going across the middle when ST is there waiting.

We obviously need to go 5-3 the rest of the way if we want a shot at the playoffs. With the way we've won 3 out of our five wins, I'd say thats a tall order. This offense needs to start playing like an NFL offense, and that means passing the ball.

Would Thomas' return spark an improvement? Absolutely!

Would Thomas' return fix all of our offensive woes? Hell no!

I look forward to him coming back for sure, but lets not get ahead of ourselves and think his return will all of a sudden turn our ultra-conservative play-calling/gameplan on it's head. Thomas' return will not mean that Gibbs/Saunders will all of a sudden take the handcuffs off Campbell.

Archived