Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Cheney impeachment resolution sent to House committee

Teller

The House voted today to send a resolution considering the impeachment of Vice President Cheney to the Judiciary Committee' date=' a move that embarrassed Democratic leaders who were forced into the parliamentary tactic to avoid a floor debate on impeachment.

Led by Rep. Dennis Kucinich, the long-shot anti-war candidate for the Democratic presidential nomination, scores of Democrats were joined by scores of Republicans in initially supporting a Kucinich resolution that would have prompted a full debate on impeaching Cheney.[/quote']

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/capitol-briefing/2007/11/cheney_impeachment_resolution.html

Impeachment is off the table...and into the judiciary committee. :laugh:

Honestly, I've been saying for months that Bush should be impeached over NSA and the USPS signing statement. But impeaching him for that would actually be protecting MY rights, and we can't have that.

But I really don't get this move at all. Kucinich was a HUGE long shot as it was, and he's now completely destroyed even the most remote chance of being a player in this election, IMO. So, I'd say it's a political move. But why would one make a political move that's detrimental to his own cause?

I know some democrats believe Cheney is the debil, and actually the puppetmaster behind president Bush. And I guess he's the next scapegoat, now that Karl Rove is gone. But I'm truly baffled by this move.

I'm assuming these committee hearings will be open. I hope so anyway. I'm anxious to tune into C-SPAN and see how this discussion goes. It looks to me as if the dems are going to continue to be embarassed on this topic; as Steny Hoyer obviously was when he swept it under the rug this afternoon.

Geez. And I thought the democrats were the ones who wanted "open and honest debate." I guess not.

I thought the Republicans wanted to call out the Democrats on weather they support Cheney or want him impeached. I'm surprised this bill is still alive.

:applause:

I'm not sure I understand.

It was my impression that the republicans who changed their votes to support floor debate did so to embarass the democrats; since very few would likely support impeachment.

Like I said though, I REALLY wish they'd go after Bush on wiretapping and mail opening. To me, this administration has made a lot of mistakes, and had more than their share of shady dealings. But to me, when you blatantly disregard your #1 duty as president, to protect and defend the Constitution, that's grounds for immediate removal from office.

I'm not sure I understand.

It was my impression that the republicans who changed their votes to support floor debate did so to embarass the democrats; since very few would likely support impeachment.

Like I said though, I REALLY wish they'd go after Bush on wiretapping and mail opening. To me, this administration has made a lot of mistakes, and had more than their share of shady dealings. But to me, when you blatantly disregard your #1 duty as president, to protect and defend the Constitution, that's grounds for immediate removal from office.

I think I'm lost, was this vote for the debate or for it to go to the next level?

Honestly, I think Cheney is evil, but to impeach him at this stage of the game is stupid. He's leaving on 1/20/09, so why start it with only 14 months to go? It will do nothing but waste the taxpayers' money and waste lawmakers' time. But then again, when doesn't Congress do that?

It doesn't matter who is in power, all politicians are inherently evil and dirty. It's turned me off from the whole political process. And I used to be a Poli. Sci. major.

Yeah, WTF?! ;)

I know nothing will come of it. I'm just trying to figure out what in the hell the intent is.

Okay, it's really simple. Dennis Kucinich is an idealist who runs for President every four years but doesn't ever really expect to win. His goal is merely to push the Democratic Party further to the left. I'm not entirely sure that he cares that he makes the left look like crazy people or that he might be hurting his own cause with these stunts. He has his own hardcore beliefs and he sticks by them.

He wants Cheney impeached, as do a number of other Democrats with similar views. The Republicans think it would be really funny if the Democrats had to vote on whether Cheney should be impeached, so the Republican caucus joined with the left-wing fringe of the Democratic Party, and they got the resolution to the floor.

It was the perfect marriage of Democratic idealists with no political goal and Republican pragmatists with purely political goals. The rational Democrats in the center got trapped, and now they will try to bury the issue in committee.

Because he does what he believes in. He's not your typical douchebag politician - Are we to blame him for this?

Mmm...Damaging himself, and potentially his party, for something that's pointless and will go nowhere? :whoknows:

I think that's it. I think Dennis thinks that Dick was a Dick and deserves impeachment. He doesn't actually care about the gamesmanship of politics, but is pushing this because he thinks it's the right thing to do.

I agree that the R's who voted to go ahead are likely doing so, because they think an impeachment debate would benefit them and make the Dems look vindictive and silly. I think that is a strategy that could backfire in two ways. 1) In the upcoming election, they will have to defend why they voted this way to Republicans and 2) Given how unhappy people are with the President, this may further remind the people that the R's mucked up a lot of things and are worthy of being thrown out.

I think that's it. I think Dennis thinks that Dick was a Dick and deserves impeachment. He doesn't actually care about the gamesmanship of politics, but is pushing this because he thinks it's the right thing to do.

I agree that the R's who voted to go ahead are likely doing so, because they think an impeachment debate would benefit them and make the Dems look vindictive and silly. I think that is a strategy that could backfire in two ways. 1) In the upcoming election, they will have to defend why they voted this way to Republicans and 2) Given how unhappy people are with the President, this may further remind the people that the R's mucked up a lot of things and are worthy of being thrown out.

That's probably largely true, Burg. But I'd answer those two points this way (just playing devil's advocate):

1) Well, we wanted to give the democrats an opportunity to be heard and voice their concerns on an issue that was apparently important to them.

2) Change can come from within. It doesn't have to come from without. I (insert candidate's name) will return us to true fiscal conservatism and true conservative values.

It's pretty easy to spin from the conservative, POV, IMO. That doesn't mean it's right or true. It's just easy to do.

1) Well, we wanted to give the democrats an opportunity to be heard and voice their concerns on an issue that was apparently important to them.

2) Change can come from within. It doesn't have to come from without. I (insert candidate's name) will return us to true fiscal conservatism and true conservative values.

I can buy the rationale for 1, although, I'd probably use language of we don't believe in gridlock, because we believe in up or down votes.

2 is more problematic. It's hard to say, "Trust me to return you the age of true conservatism" when you're the incumbant who failed to do that. In a sense the vote to impeach Cheney is a vote of self-indictment.

:laugh: ..defend this

There were 81 Democrats who voted to have an impeachment debate when they were pretty sure it would be tabled, then turned around and voted to prevent a debate when it was clear one might occur. Those opportunists are:

Neil Abercrombie

Tom Allen

Joe Baca

Tammy Baldwin

Bruce Braley

Lois Capps

Mike Capuano

Yvette Clarke

Bill Clay

Emanuel Cleaver

Steve Cohen

John Conyers

Joe Crowley

Elijah Cummings

Danny Davis

Pete DeFazio

Norm Dicks

Lloyd Doggett

Mike Doyle

Keith Ellison

Sam Farr

Al Green

Gene Green

Raul Grijalva

Luis Gutierrez

Phil Hare

Maurice Hinchey

Mazie Hirono

Paul Hodes

Rush Holt

Mike Honda

Darlene Hooley

Jay Inslee

Jesse Jackson

Sheila Jackson-Lee

Hank Johnson

Stephanie Tubbs Jones

Paul Kanjorski

Carolyn Cheeks Kilpatrick

Barbara Lee

John Lewis

Dave Loebsack

Carolyn Maloney

Betty McCollum

Jim McDermott

Greg Meeks

Mike Michaud

Brad Miller

Gwen Moore

Jim Moran

Grace Napolitano

Solomon Ortiz

Mike Pallone

Bill Pascrell

Ed Perlmutter

David Price

Charlie Rangel

Laura Richardson

Lucille Roybal-Allard

Bobby Rush

Jan Schakowsky

Bobby Scott

Jose Serrano

Carol Shea-Porter

Brad Sherman

Louise Slaughter

Hilda Solis

Pete Stark

Bart Stupak

Betty Sutton

Mike Thompson

John Tierney

Ed Towns

Nydia Velázquez

Mel Watt

Anthony Weiner

Peter Welch

Bob Wexler

Lynn Woolsey

David Wu

Albert Wynn

http://www.weeklystandard.com/weblogs/TWSFP/2007/11/dems_outmaneuvered_on_impeachm_1.asp

Stupid Dems. Cheney is the 2nd greatest tool for the Dems to gain support. Why would you want him to leave? He hides in front of Military audiences, makes dark predictions, and continues to look/act like he's running the show.

He's better than a strawman for arguments. He freaking shot his friend in the FACE! If you are running against somebody who took a picture with the guy. That's your ad right there.

Stupid Dems. Cheney is the 2nd greatest tool for the Dems to gain support. Why would you want him to leave? He hides in front of Military audiences, makes dark predictions, and continues to look/act like he's running the show.

He's better than a strawman for arguments. He freaking shot his friend in the FACE! If you are running against somebody who took a picture with the guy. That's your ad right there.

You see, that's the problem, Buf. You've gotten into the Republican way of thinking. Republicans, by and large, only think for themselves and for their lust of power. What can they do to secure it, to grow it, to take advantage of it. Democrats have been guilty of thinking of America first, of paying off our debts, of providing health care for our children, body armor for our soldiers. Democrats try to do the right thing and Republicans try to do the expedient thing. If there's a Republican puppetmaster harming America democrats are more interested in helping America than politicking for the next election.

In best Bugs Bunny voice, Ain't I a stinker?

Can anyone in the Dem party imagine impeaching Bush if Cheney was still Vice? :doh:

Seriously, I think Kucinich is doing what he thinks is right regardless of practicality. That's his modus operandi. I'm a fairly leftist Dem., and I look at him as dragging the party back to the middle which is a shame since ideologically he closer to me than the other canidates. He does so in much the same way Bucannon dragged the Repubicans towards the middle years ago. If you have an extreme canidate, the mainstream canidiates (read Hilary and Obama) just right off the fringe voters. They no longer campaign to them as they aren't enough to turn an election and campaigning to them cost more votes than you get. Saddly that means a portion of the electorate gets written off. Without him, we might see some movement from one of the mainstream canidates on an issue that's not popular poll driven drivel.

I think this is interesting. The Democrats were elected to CHANGE a bunch of things in Washington. They haven't been able to get it done, or even tried on certain issues. Not that their "base" is starting to get upset at them they've brought up the idea of impeaching some member of the Executive Branch.

Hmmm.... seems like somebody's trying to cover their tail and re-ignite their base before it crumbles.

Well, it's not quite as stupid as using a Constitutional Amendment as an election year publicity stunt.

But almost.

(Although I would like to actually see what crimes they think he should be impeached for. Did they actually put enough thought into it to actually come up with something that's actually illegal?)

or you could look at it the other way, Mass. The Republican members of Congress have stonewalled and gridlocked quite a few things, but the one thing they seem to be getting behind is an impeachment.

Pretty much every piece of legislation that has been stonewalled and gridlocked has been one that I wouldn't have approved of anyway, so that's not a very big deal for me, Burgold.

As for the impeachment.... there's only 14 months left in this administration so I'm not really feeling that it's all that big of a deal. Though I wonder if the Democrats have thought about the potential of a Texas Cowboy in the White House without a veteran international negotiator at his side and the nuclear "football" under his control? :D

Hey, I've got it! The secret Democratic plan:

1. Impeach Cheney
  2. Stonewall confirmation on his replacement
  3. Impeach Bush
  4. Nancy Pellosi becomes first woman President.
  5. Hillary loses her biggest campaign "draw".
  6. Too late for Obama to get traction, though.
  7. Rudy wins election. Inherits Bush's mess.
  8. In '12, the Democrats will sweep into uncontested power.

Archived