Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tough Practices Return!

D'Pablo

isn't it ironic that the Redskins ran a 'soft' training camp in order to keep players healthy, and now the team has lost more man games to injury than almost any other team in the NFC save the Rams?

I know, I'm surprised that they weren't smart enough to figure out that running a soft training camp would also keep them from getting into ideal game shape.:(

This gives me mixed feelings about this team. How does a team that is known as a run-first offense not have hard, physical practices? I will tell you why. They are afraid of losing more O-lineman and the players wanted to work out on their own during the off-season. Well now we see the results. 4-3 and a soft attitude. No killer instinct and an inept offense. Gibbs is a big part of the problem and if he fails this year he will not be Head Coach next year. He may be the president but not Head Coach.

Whether it's conservative or not, trying to establish and stay dedicated to a much more powerful, physical, and effective running game is going to help the team get better, not make it worse. An ineffective running game will make your offense look conservative and slow. If we fix it, the offense will roll, thus making it look "liberal".

the problem with this line of thinking is that we don't have the horses on the line to maintain a strong running attack.

the problem with this line of thinking is that we don't have the horses on the line to maintain a strong running attack.

Well then we better find a way to get one, because we won't be able to do ANYTHING if we don't have some kind of running attack.

Injuries obviously play a role, but why is it that when Jansen was out against New Orleans last year and Wade replaced him, we still had over 150 rushing yards total? Because we still had Randy Thomas?

Maybe so, but if you'll notice, even with all offensive line starting last year, the running game was very inconsistent up to a certain point last year...up until the game against Carolina to be exact.

Just like this year.

There were games where we would get well over 100 yards, and some games where we wouldn't get over 100 at all. The Redskins rushed for well over 100 yards consistently from the game against Carolina all the way until the end of the season last year, when Gibbs spoke of getting back to square one. I don't what it was for sure, but there certainly was a change in the philosophy, and it looks as though we're shooting for the same thing this year.

So while I'm at it, I'm gonna go head and say our season is saved, Portis gets over 100 this week, and the team has at least 130 yards rushing overall.

Well then we better find a way to get one, because we won't be able to do ANYTHING if we don't have some kind of running attack.

Injuries obviously play a role, but why is it that when Jansen was out against New Orleans last year and Wade replaced him, we still had over 150 rushing yards total? Because we still had Randy Thomas?

Maybe so, but if you'll notice, even with all offensive line starting last year, the running game was very inconsistent up to a certain point last year...up until the game against Carolina to be exact.

Just like this year.

There were games where we would get well over 100 yards, and some games where we wouldn't get over 100 at all. The Redskins rushed for well over 100 yards consistently from the game against Carolina all the way until the end of the season last year, when Gibbs spoke of getting back to square one. I don't what it was for sure, but there certainly was a change in the philosophy, and it looks as though we're shooting for the same thing this year.

So while I'm at it, I'm gonna go head and say our season is saved, Portis gets over 100 this week, and the team has at least 130 yards rushing overall.

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Let's do it and turn this thing around against the Jets on Sunday!

Just like this year.

If a change of philosophy is all it takes to get the running game going, and we change back to that philosophy every year about mid-season, why don't we just start the season with that philosophy?

If a change of philosophy is all it takes to get the running game going, and we change back to that philosophy every year about mid-season, why don't we just start the season with that philosophy?

I really have no idea, that would be the sensable thing to do. Maybe they just hope that Saunders's philosophy will finally do it for us, but it then it doesn't, and then we have to change.

As long as we practice super smart, smash mouth, guts-on-the-floor football well be alright. Then well have to follow it up with playing like we're the biggest underdog in sports history.

Ok, I have to admit that's funny! :laugh:

Sarcasm aside, I still am thinking that we will get this turned around, starting with the Jets.

One would think this offense could grow rapidly playing against a Gregg Williams Defense.

I've actually thought the opposite for quite some time now. I think that Gregg's D may actually hinder the O because of it's unconvenional approach.

In Gibbs I the first draft picks were Mark May and Russ Grimm. And then he talked Riggo out of retirement. I don't remember who else we had at the time or what our other needs were, but growing the team seemed to start with drafting young OL.

We now have our QB, our Running back(s) and although undersized, a good (if not great) pack of receivers. But no matter where we end up, we need to draft OL. We still have the draft picks. Grow the offense by drafting the building blocks. We need some guards and a spare tackle to push the defense backward a yard or two. Right now, it ain't happening.

As far as the conditioning goes, I can think of a program that would benefit all players.

Martial arts. You ever see martial artists breaking things or pulling muscles. No, because their training stresses 2 things: flexibility and durability/strength at the same time. You look at a guy who can break bricks with his hand. You know why his hand doesn't break, because he continually breaks his hand. What I mean is, the guy builds a tolerance up to the impact. He practices over and over causing small "micro-breaks" in hands. As the hand heals, the bone becomes denser; thus being able to withstand more blunt force trauma. The flexibility part is self explanatory.

I am not saying every football player needs to know martial arts, but there is truth to taking "controlled beatings" in training camp makes a player more durable. It prepares your body for the impacts coming ahead.

Never should have left.

Way to go, guys, way to go.

Seems like every year theres something that comes out thats not in game related thats an utter disappointment. Last year it was that article with the unnamed player talking about how the defense didnt communicate, safeties didnt talk to the corners, etc.

There are more hamstring issues on the 2007 Redskins than any other team I have followed since I was 7 or 8 years old.

And as soon as one player comes back from a hamstring, another player is lost.

All are listed as 'day to day', meaning in essence that they are out for several weeks :doh:

Archived