Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I just discovered that Iraq was my company's fault

Ancalagon the Black

(Take this thread title, and the article below, with a grain of salt please. :) Context: I work as a guidebook writer/publisher for the company mentioned.)

http://www.sundaymirror.co.uk/news/sunday/2007/10/28/we-tried-to-rebuild-iraq-based-on-info-in-the-1994-lonely-planet-guide-book-ex-u-s-ambassador-barbara-bodine-98487-20020455/

We tried to rebuild Iraq based on info in the 1994 Lonely Planet guide book

EXCLUSIVE: SO THAT WOULD EXPLAIN THE 90,000 DEATHS & A NATION RUINED SINCE 2003 INVASION

By Nick Owens 28/10/2007

The plan to rebuild Iraq was so vague that those given the job of reconstruction turned to an out-of-date Lonely Planet guide book for help and inspiration.

Former American ambassador Barbara Bodine, who was given the job of helping to reconstruct Iraq, said: "It is a great guide book, but it should not be the basis of an occupation."

Ms Bodine was one of 170 officials sent to rebuild Iraq after the UK and US invasion toppled Saddam Hussein's regime in 2003.

But in a BBC investigation shown tonight, Ms Bodine reveals how the team of diplomats was given no information about how they should go about it.

So they consulted the 1994 Middle East edition of the Lonely Planet for information on the economy, the Government and addresses of important buildings and embassies.

Article continues at link.

(Take this thread title, and the article below, with a grain of salt please. :) Context: I work as a guidebook writer/publisher for the company mentioned.)

http://www.sundaymirror.co.uk/news/sunday/2007/10/28/we-tried-to-rebuild-iraq-based-on-info-in-the-1994-lonely-planet-guide-book-ex-u-s-ambassador-barbara-bodine-98487-20020455/

We tried to rebuild Iraq based on info in the 1994 Lonely Planet guide book

EXCLUSIVE: SO THAT WOULD EXPLAIN THE 90,000 DEATHS & A NATION RUINED SINCE 2003 INVASION

By Nick Owens 28/10/2007

The plan to rebuild Iraq was so vague that those given the job of reconstruction turned to an out-of-date Lonely Planet guide book for help and inspiration.

Former American ambassador Barbara Bodine, who was given the job of helping to reconstruct Iraq, said: "It is a great guide book, but it should not be the basis of an occupation."

Ms Bodine was one of 170 officials sent to rebuild Iraq after the UK and US invasion toppled Saddam Hussein's regime in 2003.

But in a BBC investigation shown tonight, Ms Bodine reveals how the team of diplomats was given no information about how they should go about it.

So they consulted the 1994 Middle East edition of the Lonely Planet for information on the economy, the Government and addresses of important buildings and embassies.

Article continues at link.

If only LP had updated their guidebook, things probably would have gone a lot better ... or at the very least our diplomats could have found some cheap hostels to stay in.

BTW, I traveled from Sydney to Cairns in August using the East Coast Australia Guide, and my friends and I had a great time. :thumbsup:

If only LP had updated their guidebook, things probably would have gone a lot better ... or at the very least our diplomats could have found some cheap hostels to stay in.

BTW, I traveled from Sydney to Cairns in August using the East Coast Australia Guide, and my friends and I had a great time. :thumbsup:

The tourist numbers didn't really justify an update.

Drunken young males on backpacking trips in Australia, though, that's another matter...

The tourist numbers didn't really justify an update.

Drunken young males on backpacking trips in Australia, though, that's another matter...

Archived