Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CFL Governors Preparing For NFL Invasion In Canada? (Vikings?)

DWinzit

Someday perhaps, but I don't see this in the near future.

I hope there are no more franchises created. The talent pool already seems watered down.

CFL Governors Preparing For NFL Invasion In Canada?

On Thursday, CFL governors gathered in Toronto for a secret meeting called by rookie commissioner Mark Cohon. The urgent gathering was called to deal with a subject that has dominated football talk across Canada for the past two weeks: How will the CFL handle what is an increasingly inevitable invasion of the NFL into Canada? There is talk of the Toronto Argonauts trying to form a business relationship with a proposed NFL team. There is a suggestion of a spring-summer season for the CFL, which would culminate with the Grey Cup on Labor Day weekend to accommodate the NFL's September kickoff. "I do think the NFL is coming," Wright said this week. "And if there isn't a well-thought-out and collaborative plan, then it will have significant consequences for the CFL. You have to have a plan and make sure the NFL is part of that plan. I don't think [it] is the death knell. But if the league does the ostrich thing then it would be."

Source: Toronto Globe and Mail

Someday perhaps, but I don't see this in the near future.

I hope there are no more franchises created. The talent pool already seems watered down.

CFL Governors Preparing For NFL Invasion In Canada?

On Thursday, CFL governors gathered in Toronto for a secret meeting called by rookie commissioner Mark Cohon. The urgent gathering was called to deal with a subject that has dominated football talk across Canada for the past two weeks: How will the CFL handle what is an increasingly inevitable invasion of the NFL into Canada? There is talk of the Toronto Argonauts trying to form a business relationship with a proposed NFL team. There is a suggestion of a spring-summer season for the CFL, which would culminate with the Grey Cup on Labor Day weekend to accommodate the NFL's September kickoff. "I do think the NFL is coming," Wright said this week. "And if there isn't a well-thought-out and collaborative plan, then it will have significant consequences for the CFL. You have to have a plan and make sure the NFL is part of that plan. I don't think [it] is the death knell. But if the league does the ostrich thing then it would be."

Source: Toronto Globe and Mail

Could The Vikings Move To Toronto?

At owners' meetings in Philadelphia this week, the NFL directed that an assessment of the Minnesota stadium situation be done before the end of the year, and the league plans to send representatives to Minneapolis to evaluate the viability and timeline for a new stadium. The Vikings are bound by lease to play in the Metrodome through the 2011 season. While in Minnesota, NFL officials are expected to meet with political, business and community leaders, then report the Vikings stadium status to NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell. Toronto could become a bigger threat for a possible relocation site of the Vikings than Los Angeles.

Source: Pioneer Press

Could The Vikings Move To Toronto?

At owners' meetings in Philadelphia this week, the NFL directed that an assessment of the Minnesota stadium situation be done before the end of the year, and the league plans to send representatives to Minneapolis to evaluate the viability and timeline for a new stadium. The Vikings are bound by lease to play in the Metrodome through the 2011 season. While in Minnesota, NFL officials are expected to meet with political, business and community leaders, then report the Vikings stadium status to NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell. Toronto could become a bigger threat for a possible relocation site of the Vikings than Los Angeles.

Source: Pioneer Press

Here's teams that need new stadiums:

1. San Francisco

2. San Diego

3. Oakland

4. Minnesota

Here's teams who long term viability in their current city are in doubt:

1. New Orleans- Unless New Orleans grows back; eventually this team may have to move.

2. Jacksonville- This team doesn't sell out, even when winning. They had to put tarp on part of the stadium to reduce capicity.

3. Buffalo- After owner dies, this team is for sell. Buffalo is a dead city.

While I doubt the 3 CA teams would ever leave CA; I could see Minnesota, Jacksonville, Buffalo and New Orleans lose their franchise within 5 years. The nfl won't need to expand; at least 2 of those teams will be moving in the near future.

Here's teams that need new stadiums:

1. San Francisco

2. San Diego

3. Oakland

4. Minnesota

Here's teams who long term viability in their current city are in doubt:

1. New Orleans- Unless New Orleans grows back; eventually this team may have to move.

2. Jacksonville- This team doesn't sell out, even when winning. They had to put tarp on part of the stadium to reduce capicity.

3. Buffalo- After owner dies, this team is for sell. Buffalo is a dead city.

While I doubt the 3 CA teams would ever leave CA; I could see Minnesota, Jacksonville, Buffalo and New Orleans lose their franchise within 5 years. The nfl won't need to expand; at least 2 of those teams will be moving in the near future.

Archived