Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

My Keys to Victory...aka my 2 cents (LONG)

AlvinWalton40

I lurk all the time but rarely post. Was thinking about this game and thought I might share some thoughts other than who needs a nickname, who needs to be cut, and what the media thinks about the Redskins in hopes of getting some good football discussion going about this week's big game.

When on Offense:

• 3 yards and a cloud of dust won't get it done. Whoever actually calls the plays for this team needs to take shots downfield. The tricky part is the injuries to the O-line. Campbell, with time, can give us a fighting chance. Keep Portis in the game if not solely for his blitz pickups, Betts should take a seat this game.

• Moss needs to return to the Moss we all know and love. Still a bit sore at him over the Green Bay game. Seems to struggle with Campbell's propensity to throw the ball high. I'd like to see us try him deep at least once in the first quarter to let the Pats know we are looking to go up top.

• Receivers as a group, have to eliminate the dropped balls. Cooley has to deliver when called on. Antwaan seems to be up for every challenge so he needs to continue his mostly consistent play. Would like to see Sellars involved in the passing game. Sellars in the open field with the ball in his hand looking to roll over some dude = NFC East football. Introduce the Patriots to it since the Cowboys couldn't.

• Oline needs to let it all hang out. 100 percent effort and focus. False starts make it even harder for us to move the chains. Holding calls even worse, but most holding calls are BS calls anyhow. Be physical and compete each play.

• I think we have to be able to run the ball to win this game. Not run for the sake of running, but some big plays off tackle to keep the DE's honest to the run.

When on Defense:

• The pats score TD's on something close to 50% percent of their possessions. Bonehead late hits & taunting calls that extend drives turn to six points real quick against the Pats. Defense must play with emotion AND smarts

• Get to the pretty boy. Brady looks to have enough time to order a pizza in the pocket this year. Williams is going to have to pressure with more than the front 4 imho. Playing coverage like we did against the Lions won't cut it. I think we need to live and die by the blitz this week, at least more than we have to date. Last year we got smoked on blitz's and burned for TD's. We may again Sunday, but Brady needs to end the game with grass on his uniform or we don't stand a chance anyway. Caked in mud on his facemask would be nice too.

• Taylor, or Landry for that matter, needs to lay the wood to R. Moss early. Moss is good, but not tough and when the going gets tough Moss has a history of giving up. Stallworth and Welker could use some alligator arms as well. Late hits no. Hard bonecrushing tackles yes yes yes. Make them pay for each catch.

• Almost important than getting turnovers this week is TACKLING! Limit the 8 yard throws to 8 yard gains not 20+ yard gains because of missed tackles. The Dolphins tackling last week was pathetic. 11 men running to the ballcarrier at all times looking to clean up, strip the ball, pick up a fumble, and generally just punish the opponent.

Special teams

• We need good punts and coverage. The Patriots gan rack up yards quick so make them have to go as far as possible.

• If it's 4 and 2 and you're on the 30 yard line. Friggin go for it. Field goals won't win this game anyway.

I lurk all the time but rarely post. Was thinking about this game and thought I might share some thoughts other than who needs a nickname, who needs to be cut, and what the media thinks about the Redskins in hopes of getting some good football discussion going about this week's big game.

When on Offense:

• 3 yards and a cloud of dust won't get it done. Whoever actually calls the plays for this team needs to take shots downfield. The tricky part is the injuries to the O-line. Campbell, with time, can give us a fighting chance. Keep Portis in the game if not solely for his blitz pickups, Betts should take a seat this game.

• Moss needs to return to the Moss we all know and love. Still a bit sore at him over the Green Bay game. Seems to struggle with Campbell's propensity to throw the ball high. I'd like to see us try him deep at least once in the first quarter to let the Pats know we are looking to go up top.

• Receivers as a group, have to eliminate the dropped balls. Cooley has to deliver when called on. Antwaan seems to be up for every challenge so he needs to continue his mostly consistent play. Would like to see Sellars involved in the passing game. Sellars in the open field with the ball in his hand looking to roll over some dude = NFC East football. Introduce the Patriots to it since the Cowboys couldn't.

• Oline needs to let it all hang out. 100 percent effort and focus. False starts make it even harder for us to move the chains. Holding calls even worse, but most holding calls are BS calls anyhow. Be physical and compete each play.

• I think we have to be able to run the ball to win this game. Not run for the sake of running, but some big plays off tackle to keep the DE's honest to the run.

When on Defense:

• The pats score TD's on something close to 50% percent of their possessions. Bonehead late hits & taunting calls that extend drives turn to six points real quick against the Pats. Defense must play with emotion AND smarts

• Get to the pretty boy. Brady looks to have enough time to order a pizza in the pocket this year. Williams is going to have to pressure with more than the front 4 imho. Playing coverage like we did against the Lions won't cut it. I think we need to live and die by the blitz this week, at least more than we have to date. Last year we got smoked on blitz's and burned for TD's. We may again Sunday, but Brady needs to end the game with grass on his uniform or we don't stand a chance anyway. Caked in mud on his facemask would be nice too.

• Taylor, or Landry for that matter, needs to lay the wood to R. Moss early. Moss is good, but not tough and when the going gets tough Moss has a history of giving up. Stallworth and Welker could use some alligator arms as well. Late hits no. Hard bonecrushing tackles yes yes yes. Make them pay for each catch.

• Almost important than getting turnovers this week is TACKLING! Limit the 8 yard throws to 8 yard gains not 20+ yard gains because of missed tackles. The Dolphins tackling last week was pathetic. 11 men running to the ballcarrier at all times looking to clean up, strip the ball, pick up a fumble, and generally just punish the opponent.

Special teams

• We need good punts and coverage. The Patriots gan rack up yards quick so make them have to go as far as possible.

• If it's 4 and 2 and you're on the 30 yard line. Friggin go for it. Field goals won't win this game anyway.

Good Post! Only thing I would add would be when we have chances to get a turnover we have to take advantage of that opportunity. We won't win this game if we drop 3 interceptions and let balls drop on the ground and us not recover them on defense.

And I agree, even if we lose I would love nothing more than to see Brady hobbling off the field at the end of the game covered with grass and mud - knowing he had to earn that victory

HAIL!:point2sky

Good Post! Only thing I would add would be when we have chances to get a turnover we have to take advantage of that opportunity. We won't win this game if we drop 3 interceptions and let balls drop on the ground and us not recover them on defense.

And I agree, even if we lose I would love nothing more than to see Brady hobbling off the field at the end of the game covered with grass and mud - knowing he had to earn that victory

HAIL!:point2sky

I firmly believe that the patriots are going to bring the BEST out of our offense and defense.

Win or lose, the Redskins are going to see themselves in a new perspective. They're gonna see how easy it is to accomplish great things. Win or lose, the Redskins will carry on what they find in themselves through the rest of the season and WHOOP AN ASS on everyone!!!

I firmly believe that the patriots are going to bring the BEST out of our offense and defense.

Win or lose, the Redskins are going to see themselves in a new perspective. They're gonna see how easy it is to accomplish great things. Win or lose, the Redskins will carry on what they find in themselves through the rest of the season and WHOOP AN ASS on everyone!!!

I don't think Campbell is going to have time to throw deep that much with the Patriots defense, half the line gone, Campbell newness & Belichick's mind set with it all. So I am going the otherway in saying I think we have to find a way to run the ball to win. Portis hasn't found his legs but with all we gave up to get him, he needs to find his legs for games like this, or we need to get someone cheaper. Put Portis out there win or lose and let him have at it.

The offense is going to have a tricky time keeping up. But the defense is up to pace with the Patriots and can take them if they are not left on the field too long. If the defense is left on the field too long, it won't matter how much sucess you have with the long ball, the Patriots will score 20 points in 4rth quarter against a tired defense.

Also the running game will help keep the defense off the field. And if the defense stays rested they can tackle New England.

And if the defense is on the field too long against the Patriots, th

I don't think Campbell is going to have time to throw deep that much with the Patriots defense, half the line gone, Campbell newness & Belichick's mind set with it all. So I am going the otherway in saying I think we have to find a way to run the ball to win. Portis hasn't found his legs but with all we gave up to get him, he needs to find his legs for games like this, or we need to get someone cheaper. Put Portis out there win or lose and let him have at it.

The offense is going to have a tricky time keeping up. But the defense is up to pace with the Patriots and can take them if they are not left on the field too long. If the defense is left on the field too long, it won't matter how much sucess you have with the long ball, the Patriots will score 20 points in 4rth quarter against a tired defense.

Also the running game will help keep the defense off the field. And if the defense stays rested they can tackle New England.

And if the defense is on the field too long against the Patriots, th

The Redskins are a good team. Something tells me that we'll play our third complete of the season, witht he Philadelphia game and Detriot game being our first and second. We have talent on both sides of the ball. When the right plays are called in the right situations, we can play with anybody or blow out anybody.

Carlos Rogers needs to take a Brady INT to the house to solidfy himself. He's a pretty good corner, but he can't allow himself to struggle. Jason Campbell needs to do the gutsy things like in the Philly game.

The Redskins are a good team. Something tells me that we'll play our third complete of the season, witht he Philadelphia game and Detriot game being our first and second. We have talent on both sides of the ball. When the right plays are called in the right situations, we can play with anybody or blow out anybody.

Carlos Rogers needs to take a Brady INT to the house to solidfy himself. He's a pretty good corner, but he can't allow himself to struggle. Jason Campbell needs to do the gutsy things like in the Philly game.

good post, i agree that the offense needs to run the ball and convert 1st downs on 3rd downs, if we can keep Tom brady off the field and milk the clock thats the best chance for our defense to shut him down and stay fresh for 60 minutes. If we have a game where the defense is on the field alot i doubt we can slow Brady down if he's given alot of opportunites. They score on all their 1st drives this season and i will be glued to my TV when they get their 1st possesion against our redskins defense.

good post, i agree that the offense needs to run the ball and convert 1st downs on 3rd downs, if we can keep Tom brady off the field and milk the clock thats the best chance for our defense to shut him down and stay fresh for 60 minutes. If we have a game where the defense is on the field alot i doubt we can slow Brady down if he's given alot of opportunites. They score on all their 1st drives this season and i will be glued to my TV when they get their 1st possesion against our redskins defense.

When on Defense:

I agree with this article from the times. If we blitz Brady, I think he's smart enough to read it and find the open guy. It's going to be interesting to see what GW puts together... If anyone can put together a game plan to take down the Pat's offense, it's GW.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071026/SPORTS01/110260111/-1/RSS_SPORT

Problem No. 3: Is there even a point to blitzing Tom Brady?

Nope.

Brady has 229 pass attempts and been sacked only seven times. Like when the Redskins faced Green Bay's Brett Favre, they could send 14 players and Brady would still get rid of the ball, either via the running back or a throwaway.

In the last three games, the Redskins have sent more than four rushers on one of 115 drop-backs.

"When you have a guy that can pull the trigger like a Peyton Manning or a Dan Marino, you've got a good team," Gray said. "He makes great decisions, gets the ball where it needs to go and doesn't throw a lot of interceptions."

Five Patriots have at least 15 receptions, so Brady has confidence in a variety of targets. Early in the year, Moss was his favorite target; the last two weeks, it has been Welker.

Facing a team like the Patriots is why the Redskins made improving their secondary depth an off-season priority. Instead of Kenny Wright playing No. 3 corner, it will be Springs. Instead of Adam Archuleta wandering aimlessly through the secondary, Landry will get the start.

"I've seen them to be very focused," Williams said of his defense. "The Patriots obviously have our attention. They understand the task they have. ... They're going to know what we do, we know what they're going to do. It's a match-up battle."

When on Defense:

I agree with this article from the times. If we blitz Brady, I think he's smart enough to read it and find the open guy. It's going to be interesting to see what GW puts together... If anyone can put together a game plan to take down the Pat's offense, it's GW.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071026/SPORTS01/110260111/-1/RSS_SPORT

Problem No. 3: Is there even a point to blitzing Tom Brady?

Nope.

Brady has 229 pass attempts and been sacked only seven times. Like when the Redskins faced Green Bay's Brett Favre, they could send 14 players and Brady would still get rid of the ball, either via the running back or a throwaway.

In the last three games, the Redskins have sent more than four rushers on one of 115 drop-backs.

"When you have a guy that can pull the trigger like a Peyton Manning or a Dan Marino, you've got a good team," Gray said. "He makes great decisions, gets the ball where it needs to go and doesn't throw a lot of interceptions."

Five Patriots have at least 15 receptions, so Brady has confidence in a variety of targets. Early in the year, Moss was his favorite target; the last two weeks, it has been Welker.

Facing a team like the Patriots is why the Redskins made improving their secondary depth an off-season priority. Instead of Kenny Wright playing No. 3 corner, it will be Springs. Instead of Adam Archuleta wandering aimlessly through the secondary, Landry will get the start.

"I've seen them to be very focused," Williams said of his defense. "The Patriots obviously have our attention. They understand the task they have. ... They're going to know what we do, we know what they're going to do. It's a match-up battle."

Archived