Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Not another Katrina

SkinsHokieFan

It's an apples to porches comparison.

I am wondering why people havent started looting WalMarts in San Diego though. Isnt that the proper response to disasters?

I think it has a lot to do with how the evacuations were ordered. In New Orleans, it was basically everyone within a 20-mile radius had to get out, including all the law enforcement. Everyone had to leave at the same time and once everyone was gone, there were no authorities to enforce any kind of order, and because of all the flooding it was impossible to get anything back in.

With the San Diego fires, it is more of a steady retreat than a mass exodus. They have been evacuating neighborhood by neighborhood with specific orders telling people where to go. The authorities have been active participants in the process and police are actually present at the Wal-Mart parking lots where there are tents and trailers and supplies waiting for evacuees.

This is very much a triumph of local government. San Diego had very bad fires a couple years ago, and they implemented one of the most sophisticated emergency plans in the country. They were lucky in some ways that in 2003, the fires were threatening, but they weren't so bad to create a disaster. New Orleans unfortunately got hit very hard the first time ... just like San Diego, I'm sure they'll be ready for the next one.

It's an apples to porches comparison.

I am wondering why people havent started looting WalMarts in San Diego though. Isnt that the proper response to disasters?

I think it has a lot to do with how the evacuations were ordered. In New Orleans, it was basically everyone within a 20-mile radius had to get out, including all the law enforcement. Everyone had to leave at the same time and once everyone was gone, there were no authorities to enforce any kind of order, and because of all the flooding it was impossible to get anything back in.

With the San Diego fires, it is more of a steady retreat than a mass exodus. They have been evacuating neighborhood by neighborhood with specific orders telling people where to go. The authorities have been active participants in the process and police are actually present at the Wal-Mart parking lots where there are tents and trailers and supplies waiting for evacuees.

This is very much a triumph of local government. San Diego had very bad fires a couple years ago, and they implemented one of the most sophisticated emergency plans in the country. They were lucky in some ways that in 2003, the fires were threatening, but they weren't so bad to create a disaster. New Orleans unfortunately got hit very hard the first time ... just like San Diego, I'm sure they'll be ready for the next one.

Yeah its always the goverments fault no personal responsibilty on anything.

Except no one is saying this.

I find it funny that 3 days before Katrina the residents were having hurricane partys and laughing it up. Anyone with sense got out of the city and had plenty of warning.

Well, anyone who had sense, and a car, and money, and a place to go, and a boss who wouldn't mind if you left.

And anyone not numbed to disaster by the numerous prior hurricaine warnings that never came to pass.

If a tornado comes through my neighborhood and destroys my home what will the federal goverment give me? Uh how about nothing.

Unlikely.

http://www.fema.gov/news/newsrelease.fema?id=2770

The goverment has gone out of their way to give trailers and supplys over two years later and still people want more. Luckily Louisiana elected Bobby Jindal for governor last weekend who will hopefully end the corruption in this state.

I don't know who Bobby Jindal is, but I doubt he is lobbying for an end to federal Katrina disaster relief efforts.

Yeah its always the goverments fault no personal responsibilty on anything.

Except no one is saying this.

I find it funny that 3 days before Katrina the residents were having hurricane partys and laughing it up. Anyone with sense got out of the city and had plenty of warning.

Well, anyone who had sense, and a car, and money, and a place to go, and a boss who wouldn't mind if you left.

And anyone not numbed to disaster by the numerous prior hurricaine warnings that never came to pass.

If a tornado comes through my neighborhood and destroys my home what will the federal goverment give me? Uh how about nothing.

Unlikely.

http://www.fema.gov/news/newsrelease.fema?id=2770

The goverment has gone out of their way to give trailers and supplys over two years later and still people want more. Luckily Louisiana elected Bobby Jindal for governor last weekend who will hopefully end the corruption in this state.

I don't know who Bobby Jindal is, but I doubt he is lobbying for an end to federal Katrina disaster relief efforts.

Guest sith lord
They've been given tvs and appliances?

Kilmer, stop beating around the bush and say what you really want to say. And I'll also like to point out that the mass majority of people "looting" were taking survival items. But you don't want to hear that.

Guest sith lord
They've been given tvs and appliances?

Kilmer, stop beating around the bush and say what you really want to say. And I'll also like to point out that the mass majority of people "looting" were taking survival items. But you don't want to hear that.

I asked him that already, obviously he isn't man enough. :rolleyes:

I asked him that already, obviously he isn't man enough. :rolleyes:

San Diego is rich. New Orleans is poor and needed federal help. No matter how organized you are if you don't have the money there's only so much you can do.

They needed help from Bush and he declined.

wait wait wait.. did you just say that SD is rich??! :laugh:

The city has filed BK no more than 4 years ago and has been labled "Enron by the Sea".

Your lack of knowledge would be laughable if it weren't so sad.

San Diego is rich. New Orleans is poor and needed federal help. No matter how organized you are if you don't have the money there's only so much you can do.

They needed help from Bush and he declined.

The city has filed BK no more than 4 years ago and has been labled "Enron by the Sea".

Of course it is rich, in terms of the average wealth and income of its residents and the money available for local services. San Diego's average income is 25 percent above the national average, New Orleans' average income is a third less than the national average.

The fact that the city has recently been financially mismanaged doesn't mean that all of its money went away, just that it had budget shortfalls.

Of course it is rich, in terms of the average wealth and income of its residents and the money available for local services. San Diego's average income is 25 percent above the national average, New Orleans' average income is a third less than the national average.

The fact that the city has recently been financially mismanaged doesn't mean that all of its money went away, just that it had budget shortfalls.

Local services come from the city not the population at large. Average income doesnt mean squat if the city is BK and cant manage its own finances (which it cant). I lived in SD for several years during the middle of this issue. They had zero money, services were cut, city government jobs were frozen an cut.

Its sad what happened in Louisiana, but no way should it or does it reflect the quality of disaster relief that happens here. We are just more prepared for it due to the frequency of natural disasters we have here as a state (or moreso SoCal versus NoCal).

Local services come from the city not the population at large. Average income doesnt mean squat if the city is BK and cant manage its own finances (which it cant). I lived in SD for several years during the middle of this issue. They had zero money, services were cut, city government jobs were frozen an cut.

Its sad what happened in Louisiana, but no way should it or does it reflect the quality of disaster relief that happens here. We are just more prepared for it due to the frequency of natural disasters we have here as a state (or moreso SoCal versus NoCal).

I'm gonna have to go with Kilmer on this one...the mainstream media changed their story of Katrina on a dime a couple of days after. Remember all the reports of rapes at the superdome, people shooting at police and helicopters and whatever else came into the neighborhood that magically dissappeared and then the media as a whole said "hey never mind it wasn't so bad after all".

I'm not going so far as to call the people of New Orleans vermin, but I have to speculate that the reason the cleanup effort there was so delayed was because of the behavior of some of the local population and the inept state and local officials.

I'm gonna have to go with Kilmer on this one...the mainstream media changed their story of Katrina on a dime a couple of days after. Remember all the reports of rapes at the superdome, people shooting at police and helicopters and whatever else came into the neighborhood that magically dissappeared and then the media as a whole said "hey never mind it wasn't so bad after all".

I'm not going so far as to call the people of New Orleans vermin, but I have to speculate that the reason the cleanup effort there was so delayed was because of the behavior of some of the local population and the inept state and local officials.

Perhaps that was because the initial stories were sensationalistic and turned out to be untrue, not because the media is trying to hide something now? Ya think?

And because all of the roads to the city were cut for several days, and most of the city was entirely under water, and the problems were beyond the ability of a small city to handle? New Orleans is not a big city and it is not a rich city. San Diego is well over twice as large in population, is much richer, is not cut off from aid, and is part of a large state with a lot of resources to direct toward disasters. The two situations are entirely different.

Damn, this subject brings out the most simplistic thinking from people.

Perhaps that was because the initial stories were sensationalistic and turned out to be untrue, not because the media is trying to hide something now? Ya think?

And because all of the roads to the city were cut for several days, and most of the city was entirely under water, and the problems were beyond the ability of a small city to handle? New Orleans is not a big city and it is not a rich city. San Diego is well over twice as large in population, is much richer, is not cut off from aid, and is part of a large state with a lot of resources to direct toward disasters. The two situations are entirely different.

Damn, this subject brings out the most simplistic thinking from people.

San Diego services may have been frozen or cut, but they are still much larger than the services available to New Orleans. Plus the city is part of a very wealthy county with its own resources. Plus, Sacramento has a lot more money than Baton Rouge. Plus, the disaster area was not hit as hard and was not cut off from ordinary services. Sheesh, the whole place still has power and water. New Orleans was underwater, with no services, completly cut off. Only the Feds could possibly have provided an effective response to a situation like that.

Archived