Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Virginia: Unknown Traffic Violation Carries $2500 Fine

China

Virginia motorists face $2500 fine for Move Over traffic violation about which 71 percent of public is unaware.

Five years ago, the Virginia legislature made it a serious crime to drive past a police officer stopped on the side of the road without changing lanes. As a result, unsuspecting motorists -- including those who are not speeding -- can nonetheless be caught in a speed trap and face a first degree misdemeanor ticket that carries a fine of up to $2500. Despite the significant financial penalty involved, nearly three-quarters of all motorists have never heard of "move over" laws, according to a Virginia State Police news release issued in July.

Forty states require drivers approaching a police vehicle with flashing lights activated either to make an immediate lane change or to slow down at least 20 MPH under the posted speed limit.

"If drivers do not move over or slow down, officers can and do write citations," the Virginia State Police statement explained.

"Our nation's law enforcement professionals put their lives on the line to protect our citizens," said Bill Johnson, executive director of the National Association of Police Organizations. "Slowing down and changing lanes to give our first responders the space they need to stay safe is the least we can do in return. It's what we must do. Move Over, America. It's the law."

Motorists who are pulled over in a speed trap, however, can find themselves placed in just as much peril as law enforcement (see video of an incident). Likewise, some police agencies reject move over laws as dangerous. In 2005, California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger ® vetoed similar legislation, citing the objection of the California Highway Patrol.

"This bill is unnecessary and could result in the unintended consequences of additional roadway hazards," Schwarzenegger said in his veto message. "Specifically, the California Highway Patrol is concerned that this bill's mandate could create chaotic and dangerous situations at crime and collision scenes on the state's freeways."

Click on the link for the full article

Virginia motorists face $2500 fine for Move Over traffic violation about which 71 percent of public is unaware.

Five years ago, the Virginia legislature made it a serious crime to drive past a police officer stopped on the side of the road without changing lanes. As a result, unsuspecting motorists -- including those who are not speeding -- can nonetheless be caught in a speed trap and face a first degree misdemeanor ticket that carries a fine of up to $2500. Despite the significant financial penalty involved, nearly three-quarters of all motorists have never heard of "move over" laws, according to a Virginia State Police news release issued in July.

Forty states require drivers approaching a police vehicle with flashing lights activated either to make an immediate lane change or to slow down at least 20 MPH under the posted speed limit.

"If drivers do not move over or slow down, officers can and do write citations," the Virginia State Police statement explained.

"Our nation's law enforcement professionals put their lives on the line to protect our citizens," said Bill Johnson, executive director of the National Association of Police Organizations. "Slowing down and changing lanes to give our first responders the space they need to stay safe is the least we can do in return. It's what we must do. Move Over, America. It's the law."

Motorists who are pulled over in a speed trap, however, can find themselves placed in just as much peril as law enforcement (see video of an incident). Likewise, some police agencies reject move over laws as dangerous. In 2005, California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger ® vetoed similar legislation, citing the objection of the California Highway Patrol.

"This bill is unnecessary and could result in the unintended consequences of additional roadway hazards," Schwarzenegger said in his veto message. "Specifically, the California Highway Patrol is concerned that this bill's mandate could create chaotic and dangerous situations at crime and collision scenes on the state's freeways."

Click on the link for the full article

They should rename the law "make rush hour even worse, America!" Bad enough cops insist on stopping people in the middle of major roads instead of having them pull off onto side streets. Now we face a massive fine if we don't sacrifice another lane as well?!

They should rename the law "make rush hour even worse, America!" Bad enough cops insist on stopping people in the middle of major roads instead of having them pull off onto side streets. Now we face a massive fine if we don't sacrifice another lane as well?!

Interesting. This is something that I was taught simply as polite driving before I got my driver's license. If I'm coming up on an accident or stopped cruiser, I always try to get into the land furthest away from the officer for their (and my) safety.

Yes it's a pain at times, and it isn't always possible (at which case I slow down as much as possible and try to stay towards the far side of my lane), but it seems like common sense to me.

BTW - Being unaware of a law doesn't make you exempt from it.

Interesting. This is something that I was taught simply as polite driving before I got my driver's license. If I'm coming up on an accident or stopped cruiser, I always try to get into the land furthest away from the officer for their (and my) safety.

Yes it's a pain at times, and it isn't always possible (at which case I slow down as much as possible and try to stay towards the far side of my lane), but it seems like common sense to me.

Same here MSF. I was taught to move over for any vehicle, whether it be a policeman or just a stranded motorist, to give them more room.

The fine is absurd, but for the people claiming "Make rush hour worse" and that the law is stupid, how about you read the stories of police officers getting hit and killed by motorists that don't change lanes when they have someone pulled over, and then you continue to read that the officer has left behind several children and a wife to raise them on her own.

It also doesn't matter if they pull them over along a busy road, the law is the law.

Just FYI for people that DO get pulled over, if there's a parking lot, gas station or somewhere other than the direct side of the road within a short distance, try to pull over there. I'm sure the officer will understand you driving an extra 1000 feet so that both you and the officer are safe and also so that traffic doesn't get all FUBAR.

Again, Just a thought:2cents:

Same here MSF. I was taught to move over for any vehicle, whether it be a policeman or just a stranded motorist, to give them more room.

The fine is absurd, but for the people claiming "Make rush hour worse" and that the law is stupid, how about you read the stories of police officers getting hit and killed by motorists that don't change lanes when they have someone pulled over, and then you continue to read that the officer has left behind several children and a wife to raise them on her own.

It also doesn't matter if they pull them over along a busy road, the law is the law.

Just FYI for people that DO get pulled over, if there's a parking lot, gas station or somewhere other than the direct side of the road within a short distance, try to pull over there. I'm sure the officer will understand you driving an extra 1000 feet so that both you and the officer are safe and also so that traffic doesn't get all FUBAR.

Again, Just a thought:2cents:

Soon we cant even breath in our cars, I hate this freaking state and their stupid laws. What is the point of a buying a high performance sports cars if you cant really speed..

Exactly. So what you're saying is that there's no point in having a high priced, foreign sports car when a Chevy Malibu will do just fine, right?

Soon we cant even breath in our cars, I hate this freaking state and their stupid laws. What is the point of a buying a high performance sports cars if you cant really speed..

Exactly. So what you're saying is that there's no point in having a high priced, foreign sports car when a Chevy Malibu will do just fine, right?

If that's the way you feel then don't complain about the fine. Personally I think wasting the time of thousands of people because we can't ask cops to pull people over in ways that don't obstruct traffic is absurd. Cops should be instructed to pull you over in ways that minimize the effect on everyone else.

Why should I waste time caught in traffic hell because some jerk can't drive the speed limit? Make that **** pull off at the next exit/side street and get his ticket there... I don't care if it delays his morning more, he deserves it.

I'm not saying cops should put their lives at risk, I'm saying the rules should be that people need to pull over off major roads and highways. That wqould do more to minimize risk then this silly law, I'd imagine.

Archived