Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Don't Look for things to Change if GW Takes Over

Heisenberg

I was pretty content with the fact that once Gibbs decides to hang it up and return to NASCAR that the team would be in decent hands with Gregg Williams and that we might even see a change in offensive philosophy. However after reading this I am not so sure.

"He earned his first head coaching position with the Buffalo Bills. As the Bills' head coach, his team was known for highly conservative calls, especially on offense. He was the inspiration for Gregg Easterbrook's designation of "the maroon zone" by constantly punting in opponent territory. Williams was 17-31 as the Bills' coach, and was fired after a 6-10 record in the 2003 season."

I was pretty content with the fact that once Gibbs decides to hang it up and return to NASCAR that the team would be in decent hands with Gregg Williams and that we might even see a change in offensive philosophy. However after reading this I am not so sure.

"He earned his first head coaching position with the Buffalo Bills. As the Bills' head coach, his team was known for highly conservative calls, especially on offense. He was the inspiration for Gregg Easterbrook's designation of "the maroon zone" by constantly punting in opponent territory. Williams was 17-31 as the Bills' coach, and was fired after a 6-10 record in the 2003 season."

When we run the ball down the opponents throat to finish teams off like we did against Miami, we're a smashmouth punch you in the face Redskin team. When we run the ball but get stuffed doing it, we're a scaredy cat playing too conservatively Gibbs team.

We're trying to establish an identity. Our running game is failing us right now, and it's understandable considering our Oline woes. Let's just calm down a bit here and think rationally. Yes, it sucks how things keep going bad for us in the 2nd half, but at the same time, we CAN NOT abandon our identity. For the first time in a long time, we are sticking to who we are. This may be hard to endure presently, but it'll pay off.

When we run the ball down the opponents throat to finish teams off like we did against Miami, we're a smashmouth punch you in the face Redskin team. When we run the ball but get stuffed doing it, we're a scaredy cat playing too conservatively Gibbs team.

We're trying to establish an identity. Our running game is failing us right now, and it's understandable considering our Oline woes. Let's just calm down a bit here and think rationally. Yes, it sucks how things keep going bad for us in the 2nd half, but at the same time, we CAN NOT abandon our identity. For the first time in a long time, we are sticking to who we are. This may be hard to endure presently, but it'll pay off.

Well I remember those years specifically as for some reason we always watched Bills games at work. I remember Bledsoe lighting it up with Peerless Price and Travis Henry. In GW's first two years in Buffalo his offense was consistently in the top 15 (per NFL.com). Alot better than what we can say.

Combine that with the fact that the Bills didn't have the all-around talent we have, not to mention the aggressive ownership and financial backing as the Redskins do. If GW were to take over, as long as we keep most of our coaching staff around, we'll be just fine on offense.

As I tell people all the time, even Belichek was a loser his first head coaching go-round with the Browns.

Well I remember those years specifically as for some reason we always watched Bills games at work. I remember Bledsoe lighting it up with Peerless Price and Travis Henry. In GW's first two years in Buffalo his offense was consistently in the top 15 (per NFL.com). Alot better than what we can say.

Combine that with the fact that the Bills didn't have the all-around talent we have, not to mention the aggressive ownership and financial backing as the Redskins do. If GW were to take over, as long as we keep most of our coaching staff around, we'll be just fine on offense.

As I tell people all the time, even Belichek was a loser his first head coaching go-round with the Browns.

Does anybody (under the age of 30) realize that during the Redskins decade of dominance (1981-1992), Joe Gibbs' Redskins were outscoring teams with big plays? The numbers that I found for 1991 are: 236 scored to 116 allowed against teams with winning records. Also in 1991, half of Mark Rypien's touchdown passes were 25 yards or longer.

And just the other day I heard a caller on 980 say something to the effect of ‘Joe Gibbs is relying on Gregg Williams, just like he did with Pettibone.' WHAT?!

Current; that offense was wide-freakin'-open against Detroit and also against Green Bay but in GB nobody could catch any of Jason's perfectly thrown passes.

Gibbs would rather win like he did when he won him multiple super bowls, but it's all about having the right personnel.

Look at some of the videos from the end of last year or during the 5 in a row streak in 2005. The punishing run blocking—especially on pulling plays by Randy Thomas and Jon Jansen. Tell me we aren't missing that in a huge way right now. The B. Mitchell argument that they are all NFL players is a bogus one. Ask Baltimore how it felt to lose multiple starting linemen this season.

Okay, I'm cool now.:cheers:

Does anybody (under the age of 30) realize that during the Redskins decade of dominance (1981-1992), Joe Gibbs' Redskins were outscoring teams with big plays? The numbers that I found for 1991 are: 236 scored to 116 allowed against teams with winning records. Also in 1991, half of Mark Rypien's touchdown passes were 25 yards or longer.

And just the other day I heard a caller on 980 say something to the effect of ‘Joe Gibbs is relying on Gregg Williams, just like he did with Pettibone.' WHAT?!

Current; that offense was wide-freakin'-open against Detroit and also against Green Bay but in GB nobody could catch any of Jason's perfectly thrown passes.

Gibbs would rather win like he did when he won him multiple super bowls, but it's all about having the right personnel.

Look at some of the videos from the end of last year or during the 5 in a row streak in 2005. The punishing run blocking—especially on pulling plays by Randy Thomas and Jon Jansen. Tell me we aren't missing that in a huge way right now. The B. Mitchell argument that they are all NFL players is a bogus one. Ask Baltimore how it felt to lose multiple starting linemen this season.

Okay, I'm cool now.:cheers:

he didnt have al saunders or half the talent at his disposal. this is what is so frustrating with our team. we run a conservative offense with huge play capability players. he didnt have half the weapons we have now.

he didnt have al saunders or half the talent at his disposal. this is what is so frustrating with our team. we run a conservative offense with huge play capability players. he didnt have half the weapons we have now.

No way Saunders stays here if Gibbs is gone. I'm still not convinced GW will be the guy. Not that he hasn't earned a shot, but I don't like the way he treats players at times, Levar and Shawn Springs at the beginning of the season. Everyone knows Snyder loves to make a big splash, and I think once Gibbs leaves you'll Danny trying to reassert his control over the team. Let's just hope he doesn't hire Pete Carroll.

No way Saunders stays here if Gibbs is gone. I'm still not convinced GW will be the guy. Not that he hasn't earned a shot, but I don't like the way he treats players at times, Levar and Shawn Springs at the beginning of the season. Everyone knows Snyder loves to make a big splash, and I think once Gibbs leaves you'll Danny trying to reassert his control over the team. Let's just hope he doesn't hire Pete Carroll.

Exactly.

Maybe he has learned to take a different approach from watching how conservative play is not working for our team, a team that actually has a lot of talented athletes on the offensive side of the ball that need to be exploited for their talent.

Exactly.

Maybe he has learned to take a different approach from watching how conservative play is not working for our team, a team that actually has a lot of talented athletes on the offensive side of the ball that need to be exploited for their talent.

Archived