Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

"Please turn off small electronical devices..."

Spaceman Spiff

Just got back from a weekend trip and on both flights I forgot to turn off my cell phone. On the way to my destination, I also fell asleep with my iPod on...somehow, the pilot was able to land the plane unscathed.

Does anyone else ignore the "please turn off small electronical devices, such as..." spiel the flight attendant says? Do you turn your cell phone on before the plane makes it to the gate?

The reason they came up with that crap is because originally, airlines didn't want any competition with their 'airfones'... you know, the POS behind the headrest that costs $20/minute.

There is talk of that regulation being repealed, and it should be. I can understand during take off and landing, but the rest is BS.

Certain cell phone frequencies can cause vibrations in older planes that may lead to unexpected electrical impulses that have been tied to explosions in small animals.

These small animals find their way into the cargo compartments and explode sometimes causing damage to passengers luggage.

Rather than admit that there are small animals and explosions in the cargo compartments, they simply label the luggage as "LOST".

So if you've ever had an airline claim your luggage was "LOST", it's probably in a warehouse somewhere covered in bludy rat guts.

There is also a rumor that a lot of the items in the lost luggage makes its way to Salvation Army, Goodwill, and other "charity" stores which are actually owned and operated by the airline companies.

Think about it; it could be that Southwest Airlines = Salvation Army.

On the other hand, I could be wrong.

The cell phone messing with electrical devices on the planes are complete myths, turn them on if you want, talk on them, won't make a difference :D

uuummm...read the ENTIRE previous post. You may change your mind.

I couldn't care less WHY they ask you to turn it off. I do know that there is no way that I could handle a flight with some of the idiots that have deemed it necessary to YELL into their cell phones instead of talking. It's not a ****ing walkie-talkie. The person you are speaking with can hear you fine without you screaming.

The reason they came up with that crap is because originally, airlines didn't want any competition with their 'airfones'... you know, the POS behind the headrest that costs $20/minute.

There is talk of that regulation being repealed, and it should be. I can understand during take off and landing, but the rest is BS.

I never get service with my cell on a plane anyway.

It's all about liability, not probability. The frequencies could interfere with ****pit freqencies. If it was ever proved that a cell phone caused a plane crash, the airline doesn't want to get sued. So they make the announcement to cover their butt. The FAA made the rule, so their butt is covered. And your phone manual tells you not to use the phone on a plane, so their butt is covered. The only one who could get sued is your dead butt.

And the FCC bans them as well, just because it's annoying in such a small space.

My understanding is that turning your cell phone off in flight is not about safety but rather not overburdening the system. that when you are airborne your cell phone can access many cell towers simultaneously. If every plane was full of lots of people on their cell phones with each person accessing several towers simultaneously then the system wouldn't be able to cope with it.

The reason for turning phones off on flights is not to do with safety. It's to do with the interference your phone causes on the ground. Modern cellphone networks are designed to cope with handsets being in range of two or three towers at once, switching between them in a matter of minutes as you travel at a maximum of 80mph.

They're not designed so that thirty or forty towers can see your cellphone, nor to see you switch between them every few seconds as you travel at 500mph, with every page by your phone being way off the right frequency due to the doppler effect. They're designed to work out what power levels to use on the basis that you're roughly at the same height as the tower, not that you're 30,000 feet higher.

FWIW, in the US, it's the FCC, not the FAA that imposes the cellphone limit. Why? Because it's an interference issue. As in phones transmitting where they shouldn't.

Few enough people do it for it to be a major problem and as they rarely actually try to use the things, the amount of transmissions being done by the phones is low - GSM and UMTS are both very good at handling limited interference (well, unless your network is operated by Cingular Wireless, but that's another issue.) But if most people left their phones on, the issue would get progressively worse. And if people actually tried to use the phones in flight, then people living around popular flightpaths would be unlikely to get any kind of reception at all.

I like that we have to switch them off. The last thing I want is to sit next to someone prattling on and on about nothing into their cell phone for 3 hours.

you don't get a signal when you're at cruising altitude. :paranoid:

i try to turn off my electronics. if everyone is running all their electronics there is a chance (maybe a small one) that it could interfere with something critical and cause a crash. i don't want to risk it IMO.

I like that we have to switch them off. The last thing I want is to sit next to someone prattling on and on about nothing into their cell phone for 3 hours.

you don't get a signal when you're at cruising altitude. :paranoid:

i try to turn off my electronics. if everyone is running all their electronics there is a chance (maybe a small one) that it could interfere with something critical and cause a crash. i don't want to risk it IMO.

Archived