Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why do we give receivers a 15 yard cushion? (merged)

PierceType

It's the final drive, the Cardinals only need 7 or 8 yards to be in field goal range and yet, Smoot is playing 15 yards off his man? I see this week after week. 3rd and 5 and we are playing 8 yards off the man. 4th and 4 and we are 10 yards off the man.

Even the announcer said "What the hell is Smoot doing???!"

What is this insanity? Who calls this defense? I have been seeing this for YEARS on the Skins and it never changes. No other foorball team in the league gives these HUUUUGE cushions on crucial long yardage plays.

Why?

Way to paraphrase the announcer.. and do it incorrectly

I can't remember the exact quote but I posted it right after being said in the game thread.. something like

"I can't believe that they're playing a prevent defense, I mean Smoot has a 10 yard cushion in front of him"

Don't you think Williams would stop this by now if he didn't like it? The players have a spot on the field, they're following it..

I don't blame the defense at all they played a great game and that is why we won today. However, why are we playing 10 yards off at the end of the game. I know that there is a possibility of getting beat deep, but come on. There should be no reason to give receivers 10 yards off.

Another thing that I was annoyed with is that we keep playing cover 2 and three and while carter did get a sack and cause a fumble, Warner really had a lot of time to find receivers. There was no pressure. If we do that against New England, we are going to be massacred.

The offense, well their performance speaks for itself. This is getting old every week that they can't get the job done. They only thing that I will say is that they were able to score in the second half. They really need to put together four quarters of football. If they think that the last loss to green bay is bad, next week will be the ultimate lesson as to what happens when your team doesn't control the ball. THEY NEED TO BE CONSISTENT AND EXECUTE! The play calling is fine. As a suggestion, they need to roll campbell out on the edges more and allow him to run if necessary.

Another thing that I was annoyed with is that we keep playing cover 2 and three and while carter did get a sack and cause a fumble, Warner really had a lot of time to find receivers. There was no pressure. If we do that against New England, we are going to be massacred.

THEY NEED TO BE CONSISTENT AND EXECUTE! The play calling is fine. As a suggestion, they need to roll campbell out on the edges more and allow him to run if necessary.

I honestly think it's the playcalling. Playing cover two and not sending extra men in for the blitz allows us to cover the receivers better. The trade off is that we are better position to get interceptions, and block passes. However, it gives the QB more time to run the play and even throw the shorter passes with the cushion to each receiver. This really isn't the defenses fault. It's the Defensive coordinator that calls the plays that the execute. I believe they are being consistent and executing correctly. They are causing the turnovers and making game changing plays. It's the coordinator who tells us when to use a blitz.

The Skins should not blitz against the Pats. I was torn about it earlier but it would be much better for the Skins just give as many exotic zone packages for Brady to try and pick apart then to risk blitzing and let him blow the game open with big plays. Playing defense the way we have been playing at least has a chance to slow the game down to our tempo. A must the way our apathetic offense is playing. Brady will definitely destroy blitz packages because it won't take him long to find a wide open Welker, Stallworth, or Watson(if he is back).

Their offensive line is good and our defensive front four is going to have to have the game of their lives in stopping the run, and getting to Brady all by their lonesome.

It's the final drive, the Cardinals only need 7 or 8 yards to be in field goal range and yet, Smoot is playing 15 yards off his man? I see this week after week. 3rd and 5 and we are playing 8 yards off the man. 4th and 4 and we are 10 yards off the man.

Even the announcer said "What the hell is Smoot doing???!"

What is this insanity? Who calls this defense? I have been seeing this for YEARS on the Skins and it never changes. No other foorball team in the league gives these HUUUUGE cushions on crucial long yardage plays.

Why?

I've often asked the same question. It makes no sense.

Somebody (reporter) get some nads and ask GW this question. It drives me crazy as well. I thought we would play a whole lot more man to man coverage now that we have decent CB's. We are still playing this Tampa 2 and the regular cover 2 scheme and sometimes a cover 3 scheme. I guess it's been working though but in certain situations they need to play off the LOS.

Archived