Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why do we give receivers a 15 yard cushion? (merged)

PierceType

It's the final drive, the Cardinals only need 7 or 8 yards to be in field goal range and yet, Smoot is playing 15 yards off his man? I see this week after week. 3rd and 5 and we are playing 8 yards off the man. 4th and 4 and we are 10 yards off the man.

Even the announcer said "What the hell is Smoot doing???!"

What is this insanity? Who calls this defense? I have been seeing this for YEARS on the Skins and it never changes. No other foorball team in the league gives these HUUUUGE cushions on crucial long yardage plays.

Why?

Because Williams does not have confidence in Rogers and Smoot.

He is afraid, perhaps overly, of giving up the big play.

You watch the way Rogers and Smoot occassionally morph into high school CBs who get turned around, miss EASY tackles, etc., and this may have some merit.

Arizona has an improving young OL, and big-time receivers. Better to get chiseled than give up the big play.

The problem was the 3 and outs on O, and how many times will these team let the other guys get onside kicks?

The opposite could have been a blitz or blown man/bump coverage that led to a huge gain and a 35 yard field goal that was made as the game ended.

Our D, though frustrating at times, is getting it done in aggregate. They held a good O to 19 points, and turned ball over, etc.

You have to remember that with an O that can't produce, a D-Coord can't afford big mistakes.

Better question: Why do threads keep popping up about how our CB's give 10-15 yard cushions?

Agreed. Im pretty sure we had the #3 ranked D in the league for a reason. Goodness gracious would you guys leave this subject alone. We won too im pretty sure.

Most of the Philly game, they played press coverage, and did great. I seem to remember a lot of the Lions game having a smaller cushion, as well. Rogers played his best game with press coverage.

I have no idea why they went away from that, it was working. It feels like a flashback to last season now.

the Redskins as a team, offense and defense, are afraid to lose. This is brought on by a coaching staff that is so tight about turnovers and giving up a play, that we withhold 30-40% of what we can do because of a fear of the risks involved if the plays/schemes are not successful 100% of the time.

with a team like Arizona with an immobile, hurt quarterback Richie Petitbon would have blitzed this guy back to Phoenix in the first half and by the third quarter the Cardinals would have packed this game in and been mentally headed back out West.

Instead the Redskins barely touched Warner and allowed the Cardinals to stay close with an offensive gameplan that neither challenged the Cardinals or provided opportunity for the team to take time off the clock.

3 and out on offense, three times in a row.

no blitzes. sit back and let Warner set up in the pocket with a 3 man rush.

:doh: :doh:

:shot: Still talking about this topic??

Um, shutup. If the mods don't like my thread topic, they can delete it or merge it, but no one appreciates self-proclaimed "thread police" that come into every thread making snide comments about its worth and adding nothing to the discussion.

yeah why are people still talking about this?

oh yeah - i remembered. it still ****ing kills us. this is old news, yet still new. new b/c it hurts us every week.

tgijef

Cover 3 defence ....look it up....

It hurts us every week like this week where we lost ...no wait :doh:

Um, shutup. If the mods don't like my thread topic, they can delete it or merge it, but no one appreciates self-proclaimed "thread police" that come into every thread making snide comments about its worth and adding nothing to the discussion.

Ok then, How about this...

Our team consistently plays Cover 3 and zone blitzing schemes in addition to cover 2. In most zone blitz hybrids, and ALL Cover 3, there is ZERO bump coverage. Conversely, Cover 1, Cover 0 and Fire Fronts are almost entirely press coverages at the LOS.

Why is this Pete? I'm glad you asked Joe. Cover 3 and zone blites are designed to allow the front 4 or the weakside blitz man in zone to cause the pressure and have the secondary confuse the qb and blanket threats. Thus, the front four must create the pressure.

In 1 and 0 coverages, the "press" is used to delay or "hold up" routes long enough to let blitzing defenders reach the QB. Otherwise, the QB would just toss it up to the quickly available WR.

There

I don't even have ask you grasshoppers to TRY and take a pebble from my hand.

Take a luck at Sports Center right now and look for todays Texans v TITanS game. less than a minute left the Texans came back from a huge lead to be ahead by one point, TITanS have the ball at their 20.

Texans play off pass is completed for 9 and out bounds it happens again then on the following play instead of letting eat clock the Texans decide to man press and attack they don't sack the QB the deep pass is caught down to the 22 they set up for a record 8th and game winning field goal.

Thus the reason is not to get beat on one play in the closing seconds by either Bigger Taller, faster physical receivers.

First.....all of you amateur defensive coordinators need to STOP BLAMING THE PLAYERS! Williams decides where the cornerbacks play. Smoot, Rogers and Springs are all playing according to the defensive scheme designed by Williams....which by the way is the NUMBER 3 FREAKIN' DEFENSE in the NFL!!!!!!!

Williams is playing a cover 2 and cover 3 zone defense. It is designed to take away all the big plays. How many homerun balls have you seen thrown on the Skins this year? The intent of the defense is to keep all receivers in front of the defenders and let them make the tackle. Would you rather they give up a 5 yard out pattern or a 50 yard touchdown to LOSE the freakin' ball game?

Williams defense stopped the Cardinals from advancing....they had to settle for a 50 yard plus field goal......that missed! So explain to all of us exactly why playing 8-10 yards off the receiver was so bad? Go ahead...explain how your defensive genius would have come up with something better to stop the Cardinals.....

Complain about the offense but leave the defense alone. It's working as well or better than any defense in the league. It kept us in the game. It scored one touchdown and set up an easy touchdown for our pathetic offense.

Good god guys......quit complaining about something that is one of the BEST IN THE NFL! Quit ****in' about something that is not broken....that was last year.....you're a year late..... :soapbox:

Archived