Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fan Wiring Question

IONTOP

I'm installing a fan into my living room, the previous owner had a fan that she took with her when she moved. Right now I have 4 wires coming out of my ceiling. Red, black white and copper.

The question I have is: I've got 2 entrances into my condo and I am thinking that a switch on each side controls either the light or the fan. Do the fan and light wires carry different voltages? Would the fan work correctly if I put 2 wires to the fan and one to the light or if I put 2 wires to the light and one to the fan?

that's a "3 wire" cable presumably for 3 way light switches. So that either switch can turn the light on and off. I don't think you can wire it to control the fan and light independently (at both switch locations). But you can go to home depot and get a remote control swich (that wires up to one of your light switches and will work both the fan and lights wirelessly. You can also get a remote that works that for the coffee table or wherever

The red and black wires aren't for a 3 way. Those are called switch legs. You should have two switches on the wall. The red switch leg will come from one switch, the black from the other.The red wire will connect to the blue wire of the fan, which will control the light, and the black wire of the fan will go to the black wire coming out of the box for the fan itself.

I doubt the fan was wired for a three way, but it is possible. Either way, it won't affect the way the fan is hooked up.

The red and black wires aren't for a 3 way. You should have two switches on the wall. The red wire will connect to the blue wire of the fan, which will control the light, and the black wire of the fan will go to the black wire coming out of the box for the fan itself.

What about the white wire?

In the box with the fan... But they're cheap... I could strip these things with my fingernail... Seems like they're made out of lead..

If you're using the right screws, then they shouldn't strip out. Some Hunter fans are over 50 LBS and those 8 32's hold them no problem. If you feel theyre too cheap then get new 8 32's. If you drill out the holes you'll probably just cause yourself more problems.

Archived