Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Instant Replay Question

Thinking Skins

I was just wondering why scoring plays aren't automatically reviewed by the league? I mean, there's gonna be a delay anyway in the game so its not slowing things down. But thinking about the Packers game and how the league ruled that the TD catch by Buba Franks wasn't a catch, (and I'm not sure if it was reviewed or not) but I don't see why its not an automatic thing.

It's the coaches responsibility to challenge a call outside of the 2-minute warning. The rules state that if a team feels a play was called incorrectly, they have to ask for the challenge and wager a timeout. The booth doesn't do anything else automatically so why do that?

Within the 2-minute warning, these calls will be made automatically if anyone in the booth has the slightest reason to believe the call was incorrect.

I was just wondering why scoring plays aren't automatically reviewed by the league? I mean, there's gonna be a delay anyway in the game so its not slowing things down. But thinking about the Packers game and how the league ruled that the TD catch by Buba Franks wasn't a catch, (and I'm not sure if it was reviewed or not) but I don't see why its not an automatic thing.

On the Bubba Franks play that was a judgement call by the referee on the no-forceout and the play isn't reviewable under any circumstances to be changed to a forceout and a TD and he clearly didn't get 2 feet in bounds. The broader reason though is that reviews in the NFL aren't done from the booth like in college-- the ref actually goes over to the monitor on the sideline and watches the replays. This would constitute a significant delay and would certainly slow the game down. Coaches can still challenge if they see a bad call and the booth can stop the game with under 2 mins left in the half so it shouldn't significantly affect the game unless a coach doesn't throw the flag when he should.

Archived