Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Zeppelin Kicks *****

btfoom

Didn't say they were great - just relevent and influential.

Personally - I used to really like them, but now I'm in the 'one or two songs and then on to something else' crowd. Don't think I have one Zeppelin song on my Ipod right now.

doesnt that mean they are becoming irrelevant?

i tend to think people like you are more of the majority then minority. zep has had its day sure, i give them that. but in 2007 they havent done **** but rehash old stuff.

and the tour? come on, the stones still sell out constantly and they havent put out anything new in decades. it will be old dinosaurs on stage trying to sing the same ol songs to a bunch of people who will be left saddened by the fact that the band they used to love has gotten old and cant hit the same notes any more.

I was actually having a discussion about this in World of Warcraft yesterday and someone told me that I should listen to more Zeppelin. We all know Stairway is a legendary song but I haven't heard to any Zeppelin other than that , my playlist has 2 other songs by them (Rock and Roll , Fool in the Rain). Can anyone suggest any more songs that I might obtain?

PS : Never was a big Metallica guy , I like Sandman like every Hokie should , but not a big fan of the rest of their songs.

I would suggest Houses of the Holy, or Led Zeppelin II for albums.

doesnt that mean they are becoming irrelevant?

i tend to think people like you are more of the majority then minority. zep has had its day sure, i give them that. but in 2007 they havent done **** but rehash old stuff.

and the tour? come on, the stones still sell out constantly and they havent put out anything new in decades. it will be old dinosaurs on stage trying to sing the same ol songs to a bunch of people who will be left saddened by the fact that the band they used to love has gotten old and cant hit the same notes any more.

Oh, I think we're talking about two different things. Is the stuff they're releasing today relevent? No, probably not.

But, the stuff they released in the 1970's is still relevent and influential in my mind.

Seems the debate is whether or not they're relevent. You kind of said that they are - don't matter if you like them or not - that has nothing to do with relevence.

Like I said, they aren't relevant with most of the bands I listen too.

But yes, they sold a ton of records, sold a lot of concert tickets, and had a lot of fans.

so if artistry is what is most important then KISS has to be labeled as one of the greatest too then right?

Uh... gimmick = artistry?

i can see this won't go anywhere fast.

And if you read my earlier posts I said the albums after the Metallica Black album sucked.

Aerosmith is a big ol whore machine NOW sure. But in the 70s and 80s they put out great music.

Aerosmith put out their last great album in the mid 70s.

everything since has been utter tripe. They never met a camera they didn't love, or a cheesy duet they wouldn't do. Whores.

AC/DC has fallen off sure, but they still put out DVDs and CDs that sell a bunch and their tours still sell out too. so I think that counters the other arguments.

If anyone puts a Zeppelin CD on at a party I am having it goes right off and they get the look like they are out of their minds..

Selling out now equals good?

So wow,, i guess you're all happy about the Spice Girls reunion? They sold out stadiums in seconds! That must mean they are the greatest most relevant band in the world right now.

Except maybe for Hannah Montana. People are paying thousands to buy tickets to see her. She must be GREAT.

Selling CDs doesn't counter any arguments. It has been proven you don't need a lick of talent to do it. Hell, these days you don't even need to know how to sing,,, put a fashion model in front of a mic and feed her voice thru filters to make the notes right, and voila,, instant success!

But by your reasoning, that also equates to artistry.

As far as AC/DC is concerned, as long as there's pimply faced 15 yr old virgins who are mad at their parents and want to screw the girl next door, yes, they will always have a market.

But that hardly means they're good, or relevant, or anything other than one trick ponies appealing to the easiest of markets. They haven't changed, they haven't grown, they haven't been anything but musically stagnant for 30 years. Power chord bubble gum.

Artistry, like Led Zeppelin III. The ability for your music to transcend the genre it is supposed to be a part of, to be something that will last because it's actually a well written and played song.

There's quite a difference.

~Bang

Uh... gimmick = artistry?

i can see this won't go anywhere fast.

Aerosmith put out their last great album in the mid 70s.

everything since has been utter tripe. They never met a camera they didn't love, or a cheesy duet they wouldn't do. Whores.

Selling out now equals good?

So wow,, i guess you're all happy about the Spice Girls reunion? They sold out stadiums in seconds! That must mean they are the greatest most relevant band in the world right now.

Hannah Montana is what you'd call good music because it sells?

Selling CDs doesn't counter any arguments. It has been proven you don't need a lick of talent to do it. Hell, these days you don't even need to know how to sing,,, put a fashion model in front of a mic and feed her voice thru filters to make the notes right, and voila,, instant success!

But by your reasoning, that also equates to artistry.

As far as AC/DC is concerned, as long as there's pimply faced 15 yr old virgins who are mad at their parents and want to screw the girl next door, yes, they will always have a market.

But that hardly means they're good, or relevant, or anything other than one trick ponies appealing to the easiest of markets. They haven't changed, they haven't grown, they haven't been anything but musically stagnant for 30 years. Power chord bubble gum.

Artistry, like Led Zeppelin III. The ability for your music to transcend the genre it is supposed to be a part of, to be something that will last because it's actually a well written and played song.

There's quite a difference.

~Bang

bilbbity blah bliibity blah. you just rambled on and on. you're opinion while it is yours has nothing to do with my argument.

then alice cooper can be art because some people are into that kind of stuff. so can kiss because pyrotechnics can be considered art.

permanent vacation and pump were both good cds in my opinion. after that, they all started sounding the same so much that they just used the same girl in every video.

your boy was saying that they still sell cds and dvds not me. dont get it twisted bang. i dont base **** off of that.

AC/DC was relevant for a long time but once again I agree with you they are old and it has passed them by. stop beating this dead horse.

you can quote any zeppelin album that you want, they havent done anything special in my opinion. and just like YOUR opinion, MINE is mine and I am entitled to it.

someone correct me if I'm wrong... but wasn't Paige one of the first frontmen to play a Les Paul? Or at least the one who made it popular.

:doh: why don't you just make a statement like "I know everything, and I know nothing" and get it over with instead of wasting so much cyber space :laugh:

edit: to be fair there's a plethora of ineptitude in this thread, too much to address :laugh:

I dont believe that somebody else writes Aerosmith's music. There is no way in hell after seeing them live many times that they dont write their own ****.

Desmond Child.

i am not just flying off the handle all ****eyed, i have my points and i am backing up what i say.

Funny. Everyone else calls it getting pwn3d.:)

What cracks me up is that the ones railing on Zeppelin for being sellout, irrevlevant, and passe are also railing on AC/DC, who NEVER sold out (find me a power ballad, boys), remains relevant by pumping out a new album with good tunes every few years, and consistently still sells out huge tours around the world every time they play.

15-year old pimple faced kids angry at their parents aren't listening to AC/DC. They're listening to Slipknot, Tool, or hip hop.

AC/DC is as pure of a form of rock and roll as there is. If you don't like it, you don't like rock music. Which is fine. But don't blast them to make your point about Zeppelin when they are the antithesis of your argument about Zeppelin. lol

What cracks me up is that the ones railing on Zeppelin for being sellout, irrevlevant, and passe are also railing on AC/DC, who NEVER sold out (find me a power ballad, boys), remains relevant by pumping out a new album with good tunes every few years, and consistently still sells out huge tours around the world every time they play.

15-year old pimple faced kids angry at their parents aren't listening to AC/DC. They're listening to Slipknot, Tool, or hip hop.

AC/DC is as pure of a form of rock and roll as there is. If you don't like it, you don't like rock music. Which is fine. But don't blast them to make your point about Zeppelin when they are the antithesis of your argument about Zeppelin. lol

watch out man, having your own opinion will make them say you are "pwn3d" for having it.

Little Richard is as pure a form of rock n' roll as there is. AC/DC is classic rock.

Another music thread, another opportunity for BigMike to show his ignorance.

I'm surprised he hasn't said Slipknot is awsome and more influental then LZ yet.

how in the hell did that warrant anything? because i dont like the bands you do I am ignorant now?

seems to me that you are in fact being ignorant in thinking that because i dont share your opinion that i dont know what i am talking about.

and you cant show one place where ive said slipknot is an influence so stop pulling that **** now.

The more BigMike posts in this thread, the more I start to think he's the Techno Viking in his sig. :silly:

TV.gif

BM - You're having trouble differentiating fact from your own opinion. And you really need to go look up the definition of the word relevant.

The more BigMike posts in this thread, the more I start to think he's the Techno Viking in his sig. :silly:

TV.gif

BM - You're having trouble differentiating fact from your own opinion. And you really need to go look up the definition of the word relevant.

i think you guys are taking my opinion overboard and getting all huffy over it.

i WISH i was able to move it like him. i would use my mighty viking finger and point at dictator and he would KNOW not to misquote me again.. :laugh:

I was actually having a discussion about this in World of Warcraft yesterday and someone told me that I should listen to more Zeppelin. We all know Stairway is a legendary song but I haven't heard to any Zeppelin other than that , my playlist has 2 other songs by them (Rock and Roll , Fool in the Rain). Can anyone suggest any more songs that I might obtain?

PS : Never was a big Metallica guy , I like Sandman like every Hokie should , but not a big fan of the rest of their songs.

Immigrant Song

Black Dog

Whole Lotta Love

Dazed and Confused

Good Times Bad Times

When the Levee Breaks

Boogie with Stu

Communication Breakdown

etc...

These guys had a TON of memorable songs.

I'm not that big fan of classic rock in general, but Led Zep is one of the few that truly transcends the genre

Zeppelin wasnt even the greatest band of their time. That goes to Sabbath or Skynyrd. And yes, I believe that if the members of Skynyrd hadnt died so suddenly they would have been right up there.

While I agree with you when you say their music was crap, I dont believe it was until after the Black album. And justice for all was great and so was kill em all, ride the lightning, and master of puppets. Metallica has influenced more bands of today then Zeppelin has hands down.

I dont believe that somebody else writes Aerosmith's music. There is no way in hell after seeing them live many times that they dont write their own ****.

I'm not going to attack you for stating your opinions. I am going to say that your opinions are silly.

I was a teenager in Virginia in the mid-late 1970s. Zeppelin ruled all bands as far as we were concerned. The Southern wannabes listened to Allman Bros., Skynyrd .. and Led Zeppelin. The punk wannabees listened to the Ramones, Sex Pistols... and Led Zep. The disco crowd listened to the Bee Gees, Donna Summer... and Led Zep. The nerds in the orchestra listened to Mozart, Beethoven... and Led Zep.

They were bigger than anyone, by a mile.

I'm not going to attack you for stating your opinions. I am going to say that your opinions are silly.

I was a teenager in Virginia in the mid-late 1970s. Zeppelin ruled all bands as far as we were concerned. The Southern wannabes listened to Allman Bros., Skynyrd .. and Led Zeppelin. The punk wannabees listened to the Ramones, Sex Pistols... and Led Zep. The disco crowd listened to the Bee Gees, Donna Summer... and Led Zep. The nerds in the orchestra listened to Mozart, Beethoven... and Led Zep.

They were bigger than anyone, by a mile.

wow, the 70s? really? damn that must make you an expert on music.

:rolleyes:

wow, the 70s? really? damn that must make you an expert on music.

:rolleyes:

Wait, is BigMike the pot or the kettle? I always get those 2 confused.

You made a comment about them not being the greatest band of their time. He was there for "their time" and you weren't. I guess growing up in the 80s makes your opinion on the relative merits of Zeppelin, Sabbath, Skynyrd, etc. much more valid than his. :doh:

Archived