Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Zeppelin Kicks *****

btfoom

well its a one-off gig in memory of Ahmet Ertegun, the head of Atlantic Records.

Given how Plant and Page tended to fall out with each other over the years I'd be surprised if this lasts much longer beyond that. Plant couldnt stand repeating endless Zep songs gig after gig, which is basically all Jimmy wants to do. Of course, if someone says 'Tour the US and it will earn you $$$$$' then....

They're more relevant 33 years later than any Hip-Hop or Pop-type product will be in 33 years.

while I can appreciate that they are better then pop or hip hop they are not of any relevance to anybody under the age of 40. they remind me of my stoner sister when she was a teenager thinking that there was a real stairway to heaven.

"dude if we listen to stairway to heaven backwards you can hear the devil talk to you"

Aerosmith, AC/DC, Metallica. Bands like those put out music that make Zeppelin look like an over-hyped machine. I can only imagine how even more sick of 4 I would be if MTV would have been around in the 70s.

that really doesnt mean anything. Jim Jones had a huge following and so did the Halley Bop comet dude..

It means theyre relevant because there are people who like them and still buy the records/albums etc.

Just because YOU dont like them doesnt mean alot of other people dont. They're not my thing much either but you can't argue with longevity.

well its a one-off gig in memory of Ahmet Ertegun, the head of Atlantic Records.

Given how Plant and Page tended to fall out with each other over the years I'd be surprised if this lasts much longer beyond that. Plant couldnt stand repeating endless Zep songs gig after gig, which is basically all Jimmy wants to do. Of course, if someone says 'Tour the US and it will earn you $$$$$' then....

I personally found it hysterical that when Plant didnt want to tour back in the day he just grabbed David Coverdale and they sounded just as good. Plant all of a sudden got humbled and wanted to tour again.

It means theyre relevant because there are people who like them and still buy the records/albums etc.

Just because YOU dont like them doesnt mean alot of other people dont. They're not my thing much either but you can't argue with longevity.

there is alot of crap music that lasts a really long time. How else do you explain Meat Loaf's career? :laugh:

while I can appreciate that they are better then pop or hip hop they are not of any relevance to anybody under the age of 40. they remind me of my stoner sister when she was a teenager thinking that there was a real stairway to heaven.

"dude if we listen to stairway to heaven backwards you can hear the devil talk to you"

Aerosmith, AC/DC, Metallica. Bands like those put out music that make Zeppelin look like an over-hyped machine. I can only imagine how even more sick of 4 I would be if MTV would have been around in the 70s.

I'm 34. Even though I grew up in an era where the NEA sometimes tried to shove "new math," I still know 34 < 40.

A lot of the bands we still see today are a result of Zeppelin either inspiring them to play an instrument or directly ripping them off. Metallica had maybe three classic, original albums but none since '88, where they started to chase trends, then it only got worse. The "Black Album" is absolute **** more influenced by Bob Rock than themselves.

Aerosmith has had someone else write (or at least co-write) their tunes since the mid-1980's.

AC/DC has made a dozen albums of the same damn thing.

Zeppelin has always put influences of other styles of music into their own, albeit I do admit they have more direct blues ripoffs than anyone before or since. The drug symbolism aside, their music still broke a lot of ground and made future acts possible, but longer songs and styles acceptable in popular Rock music.

I personally found it hysterical that when Plant didnt want to tour back in the day he just grabbed David Coverdale and they sounded just as good. Plant all of a sudden got humbled and wanted to tour again.

David Coverdale is one of the best Rock singers ever. Everyone knows that.

Plant has sounded like a frog since 1973. Everyone knows that.

It still doesn't change Zeppelin's impact on music.

there is alot of crap music that lasts a really long time. How else do you explain Meat Loaf's career? :laugh:

As long as there are still kids in Drama classes, Meat Loaf will still sell albums. They love the theatrics in his music and performance. You started this whole thing about about relevancy, not whether you think the music is good. Stop with the red herring argument. That's just opinion. Relevant means people still like it, not what your personal opinion is.

They may not be relevant to you personally, but they still exist and sell records & DVD's for some reason. That makes them relevant at-large.

I'm 34. Even though I grew up in an era where the NEA sometimes tried to shove "new math," I still know 34 < 40.

A lot of the bands we still see today are a result of Zeppelin either inspiring them to play an instrument or directly ripping them off. Metallica had maybe three classic, original albums but none since '88, where they started to chase trends, then it only got worse. The "Black Album" is absolute **** more influenced by Bob Rock than themselves.

Aerosmith has had someone else write (or at least co-write) their tunes since the mid-1980's.

AC/DC has made a dozen albums of the same damn thing.

Zeppelin has always put influences of other styles of music into their own, albeit I do admit they have more direct blues ripoffs than anyone before or since. The drug symbolism aside, their music still broke a lot of ground and made future acts possible, but longer songs and styles acceptable in popular Rock music.

So this is a math lesson now? Just because you are going to argue this with me doesnt mean that my thoughts about zep being relevant changes.

Zeppelin wasnt even the greatest band of their time. That goes to Sabbath or Skynyrd. And yes, I believe that if the members of Skynyrd hadnt died so suddenly they would have been right up there.

While I agree with you when you say their music was crap, I dont believe it was until after the Black album. And justice for all was great and so was kill em all, ride the lightning, and master of puppets. Metallica has influenced more bands of today then Zeppelin has hands down.

I dont believe that somebody else writes Aerosmith's music. There is no way in hell after seeing them live many times that they dont write their own ****.

After Back in Black you can make that argument, sure. I dont want to try and defend AC/DC too much here.

I dont even think Zeppelin was that great. Page wasnt the best guitarist of his time, that goes to Clapton. Plant wasnt the best singer because he was easily copied by Coverdale. Bonham, hands down the most powerful drummer of the 70s. Even better then Neil from Rush. I cant deny true hardcore rock drumming when I see it. I loved that his son could play for him during sound check so that he could listen from the seats.

As long as there are still kids in Drama classes, Meat Loaf will still sell albums. They love the theatrics in his music and performance. You started this whole thing about about relevancy, not whether you think the music is good. Stop with the red herring argument. That's just opinion. Relevant means people still like it, not what your personal opinion is.

They may not be relevant to you personally, but they still exist and sell records & DVD's for some reason. That makes them relevant at-large.

well man, since you are now wanting to accuse me of just stating my opinion...

what else is there to talk about? your "facts" are your opinion. this whole tailgate forum is to express your opinion. so just because you dont like what i have to say, dont get all uppity and tell me that i shouldnt express what i think. i am not just flying off the handle all ****eyed, i have my points and i am backing up what i say.

So this is a math lesson now? Just because you are going to argue this with me doesnt mean that my thoughts about zep being relevant changes.

Zeppelin wasnt even the greatest band of their time. That goes to Sabbath or Skynyrd. And yes, I believe that if the members of Skynyrd hadnt died so suddenly they would have been right up there.

While I agree with you when you say their music was crap, I dont believe it was until after the Black album. And justice for all was great and so was kill em all, ride the lightning, and master of puppets. Metallica has influenced more bands of today then Zeppelin has hands down.

I dont believe that somebody else writes Aerosmith's music. There is no way in hell after seeing them live many times that they dont write their own ****.

After Back in Black you can make that argument, sure. I dont want to try and defend AC/DC too much here.

I dont even think Zeppelin was that great. Page wasnt the best guitarist of his time, that goes to Clapton. Plant wasnt the best singer because he was easily copied by Coverdale. Bonham, hands down the most powerful drummer of the 70s. Even better then Neil from Rush. I cant deny true hardcore rock drumming when I see it. I loved that his son could play for him during sound check so that he could listen from the seats.

Sabbath and Skynyrd aren't even the same kind of music. They have both had similar influence as Zeppelin on future acts. No one is saying Zeppelin is the best, but saying they're not relevant... ? They're every bit as relevant as those bands, but moreseo than Skynyrd. You can't exactly say there has been a whole mess of Southern Rock bands since them other than .38 Special and Molly Hatchet or whoever.

A lot of these bands today say they're influenced by Metallica. They also say they're influenced by Depeche Mode and U2. Does that make Zeppelin less-relevant? Hardly. Kids find out who influenced their favorite musicians, then they dig back and check it out. Sometimes immediately, sometimes later.

Regardless, a lot of these bands wouldn't exist if not for the original bands.

Aerosmith has had outside writers on their stuff for almost 20 years. Look at their liner notes. It really is simple as that. The freaking song for "Armageddon" was written by Dianne Warren. ****ing Dianne Warren as in "Right Time of The Night."

Clapton is easily the most overrated guitar player in history, right there next to Santana. If it weren't for JJ Cale and Cream, he'd be nothing. Still relevant, but overrated.

well man, since you are now wanting to accuse me of just stating my opinion...

what else is there to talk about? your "facts" are your opinion. this whole tailgate forum is to express your opinion. so just because you dont like what i have to say, dont get all uppity and tell me that i shouldnt express what i think. i am not just flying off the handle all ****eyed, i have my points and i am backing up what i say.

More ad hominem?

Zeppelin is still relevant because they still put out DVD's, people still buy them and people are tuning in for this show. That makes them relevant. It's not an opinion. It's fact. I'm not telling you to avoid saying your opinion, but I'm also telling you not to say your opinion speaks for music in-general. Expressing your opinion doesn't make it an at-large fact. Just say it's your opinion and leave it at that rather than saying "you know, Zeppelin is really irrelevant."

That's just insane. They are still viewed as one of the greatest Rock bands over the last 30 years. Your taste is one thing, saying that they are irrelevant is just unreasonable. If you don't like them, then say so, but calling them irrelevant just doesn't make sense. You started this all saying they were irrelevant, then tried to back it with opinion rather than fact. That's a faulty argument by anyone's definition.

Sabbath and Skynyrd aren't even the same kind of music. They have both had similar influence as Zeppelin on future acts. No one is saying Zeppelin is the best, but saying they're not relevant... ? They're every bit as relevant as those bands, but moreseo than Skynyrd. You can't exactly say there has been a whole mess of Southern Rock bands since them other than .38 Special and Molly Hatchet or whoever.

A lot of these bands today say they're influenced by Metallica. They also say they're influenced by Depeche Mode and U2. Does that make Zeppelin less-relevant? Hardly. Kids find out who influenced their favorite musicians, then they dig back and check it out. Sometimes immediately, sometimes later.

Regardless, a lot of these bands wouldn't exist if not for the original bands.

Aerosmith has had outside writers on their stuff for almost 20 years. Look at their liner notes. It really is simple as that. The freaking song for "Armageddon" was written by Dianne Warren. ****ing Dianne Warren as in "Right Time of The Night."

Clapton is easily the most overrated guitar player in history, right there next to Santana. If it weren't for JJ Cale and Cream, he'd be nothing. Still relevant, but overrated.

they arent relevant as far as my friends and i are concerned and have never been. dinosaur shlock rock does nothing for today's music in my opinion. and just because they arent the same type of music doesnt mean you cant compare them for impact. skynyrd made good guitar driven rock n roll. calling them southern rock is just a label.

depeche mode and U2? now who is reaching? that is solely your opinion and any band that i listen to that says they are influenced by metallica sure doesnt mention depeche mode in the same breath.

the armageddon thing was their ONLY #1 song so that shows you how much they looked for that. if that is the ONLY song they have that is co-written then you arent winning anything there with me. they probably had an agenda when they used her.

overrated? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

sure he is..I am not even going to try and talk to you about that one.

Uh,, you state Aerosmith makes another band look like an over hyped machine?

Seriously,, is there a bigger group of whores in music today?

AC/DC?

Oh yeah,, 35 years worth of teenage sex and drinking songs,, all the same.

At least Zeppelin had some artistry. And at least they did manage to write a few songs that didn't deal with getting 15 yr old guys giggling over sexual double entendres and pumping their fists over the prospect of getting stoned.

Maybe it's just me, but I expect bands to evolve. Probably why I don't much like Metallica either.. .oooo angerangerANGER! Why is Hetfield STILL so angry?

It rings hollow after so many years.

To each their own, I'd guess. But if you're running the music at the party, I'd bet i'd be tired of it in about 5 minutes by the sound of it.

As to new Zeppelin music... meh. I heard the last time Page and Plant tried to make a CD of new music... it was plum friggin AWFUL. 2 spins in my cd player is all it has gotten in the 10 or so years since it came out. The first one on the day i bought it... the next one about 5 years later to see if it was as bad as I thought it was.

I was right.

~Bang

As to new Zeppelin music... meh. I heard the last time Page and Plant tried to make a CD of new music... it was plum friggin AWFUL. 2 spins in my cd player is all it has gotten in the 10 or so years since it came out. The first one on the day i bought it... the next one about 5 years later to see if it was as bad as I thought it was.

I was right.

~Bang

Yah I'm pretty sure that Paige's contract with Allister Crowley and the debil expired in 1981 or so.

More ad hominem?

Zeppelin is still relevant because they still put out DVD's, people still buy them and people are tuning in for this show. That makes them relevant. It's not an opinion. It's fact. I'm not telling you to avoid saying your opinion, but I'm also telling you not to say your opinion speaks for music in-general. Expressing your opinion doesn't make it an at-large fact. Just say it's your opinion and leave it at that rather than saying "you know, Zeppelin is really irrelevant."

That's just insane. They are still viewed as one of the greatest Rock bands over the last 30 years. Your taste is one thing, saying that they are irrelevant is just unreasonable. If you don't like them, then say so, but calling them irrelevant just doesn't make sense. You started this all saying they were irrelevant, then tried to back it with opinion rather than fact. That's a faulty argument by anyone's definition.

by who? who is voting them that? record execs who are still making money of the SAME OL CRAP DVDs that just keep rehashing the same bull**** music over and over.

you should take your own advice when it comes to YOUR OPINON not being fact. you seem to think that i am just all spaced out over here saying "you know, zeppelin is really irrelevant." once again you are being ignorant and just trying to make it like i am flying off the handle or coming sideways with my opinion. why dont you try to listen to what i have to say instead of just brushing it off and not paying attention. your opinion doesnt mean **** to me either but i am not insulting you by saying you dont know what youre tlaking about.

Archived