Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ghosts vs. aliens

Burgold

Do you believe in ghosts? Do you believe that there's intelligent life out there? Do you think that you're more likely to meet Casper or Marvin?

Personally, I think I have an easier time believing in alien life than in ghosts, although strangely, I do believe in souls and it seems that if you believe in souls that you should believe in spirits and by extention ghosts.

What do believe? Have you experienced anything?

Marvin, I think with the Billions and Billions of stars out there it's just inconcievable that Humanity is alone in the universe. I also believe thought that even if we did find inteligent life out there; it would likely be tens, hundred or thousands of light years away; so while we might be able to learn about them through observation; it's unlikely I would get to meet any.

Burgold, I'm of the exact opposite opinion of you on this one.

I not only believe in ghosts and a number of other manifestations of the supernatural and occult, but I have had both fortunate and unfortunate encounters with them over the course of my life.

On the other hand, I have seen nothing that I consider credible evidence that there is extra-terrestrial life out in the universe. Personally, I'm not always so sure there's intelligent life on THIS planet.

I believe in aliens. I believe they came to earth, took a good look around and cleared off again vowing to come back when the barbarians had learned to be more civilised.

I also believe in spirituality, though not necessarily religion. I believe that religion is a code of ethics set down by man in order to keep control of society as we know it. However I also believe that it is this single reason that has caused most of the wars fought in our history. (Oil is coming up fast behind it but thats another story and not one for this thread).

I believe in both.

I have had personal experiences dealing with the paranormal, and believe there is more than enough evidence out there that provides ample proof that ghosts do exist.

I believe in aliens, or other intelligent life-forms, the universe is much too large to not house any other form of intelligent life.

I also believe in big foot, the loch ness monster, the new jersey devil, and so on and so forth.

I believe in aliens. I believe they came to earth, took a good look around and cleared off again vowing to come back when the barbarians had learned to be more civilised.

I also believe in spirituality, though not necessarily religion. I believe that religion is a code of ethics set down by man in order to keep control of society as we know it. However I also believe that it is this single reason that has caused most of the wars fought in our history. (Oil is coming up fast behind it but thats another story and not one for this thread).

Agreed 100%. Although I have had paranormal experiences......mostly benevolent.

I not only believe in ghosts and a number of other manifestations of the supernatural and occult, but I have had both fortunate and unfortunate encounters with them over the course of my life.

oooh!!! Story! Story! Story!!!! This close to Halloween, you're not gonna get away with a comment like that unless you tell us the story. :munchout:

Yes I believe there is extraterrestrial life in the universe. With the sheer number of galaxies (and thus stars and planets) out there, odds are that there is other life out there. That doesn't mean that it is capable of space travel, or even necessarily intelligent, just that there is other life.

As for ghosts, I'm not sure. With so many stories in so many places over the years you have to wonder. I have never had an encounter with one myself, and perhaps I need that direct contact to be utterly convinced.

Ghosts, or something that happens which we describe as ghostly or hauntings, are real. I've had some interesting experiences of my own which removed my doubt. Though it should be noted that modern science is unable to accept these things because it places them under the "extraordinary calims requires extraordinary evidence" banner which is a nice way of saying "even if you get one to sit down with you and answer questions, we'll say you made it up".

Aliens may be real or not, UFO's are certainly real. The trouble is an unidentified flying object could be of earthly or natural origin. We know there are some weird things flying about, they've been caught on tape more times then a Paris Hilton boob. We just don't know what the hell those little things flying about are. Personally I find it doubtful that little naked aliens are running around inside of them as hollywood seems to think.

Ghosts, or something that happens which we describe as ghostly or hauntings, are real. I've had some interesting experiences of my own which removed my doubt. Though it should be noted that modern science is unable to accept these things because it places them under the "extraordinary calims requires extraordinary evidence" banner which is a nice way of saying "even if you get one to sit down with you and answer questions, we'll say you made it up".

When something unfamiliar happens, pointing to the supernatural is nothing more than saying "I don't know how else to explain it". That's not to say the supernatural doesn't exist, but we've yet to see it.

As for science dismissing any credible evidence as being made up I don't think that accurate. For centuries every person who has claimed abilities to communicate with spirits or other supernatural powers have been shown to be fakes.

Ghosts, or something that happens which we describe as ghostly or hauntings, are real. I've had some interesting experiences of my own which removed my doubt. .

Allright, I do not want to have to type this again. If you have a story, please do not tease us. Especially this close to Halloween.

Destino... banishment to the NCAA forum for 2 days unless you share.

I've witnessed UFO's twice in my life. I don't what they were, but I know from my backround in aviation that it wasn't ours. I am open to the concept of alien life.

I've also witnessed what some would call a ghost, although I am not sure what it actually was. Demon, some form of spirit, whatever it was it is gone now from my house since I made it leave. I've posted that story on here before so I won't rehash it. Search the tailgate for "Ghost stories" for the details.

I believe that we are more likely to find proof of ghosts than to go 1 day without Burgold starting a thread. :paranoid:

:notworthy :laugh: Thanks. That was funny. Although truthfully, there have been at least three days this year where I didn't start a new thread :)

And I agree with Zoony... no saying you had an experience and just trailing off...

And I agree with Zoony... no saying you had an experience and just trailing off...

Burgold, have you got 3 or 4 hours to read descriptions of my experiences with the supernatural?... Somehow I didn't think so.

More importantly I don't have the time to pick and choose through the list and type them out, since I'm leaving for a weekend in Vermont in about 15 minutes. If you're really interested, PM me and we can talk.

When something unfamiliar happens, pointing to the supernatural is nothing more than saying "I don't know how else to explain it". That's not to say the supernatural doesn't exist, but we've yet to see it.

As for science dismissing any credible evidence as being made up I don't think that accurate. For centuries every person who has claimed abilities to communicate with spirits or other supernatural powers have been shown to be fakes.

I don't believe in people that claim to talk to spirits or any such thing. However there is a mountain of video evidence of "ghosts" moving about. I'm not saying they are spirits of the dead but what we describe as "ghosts" have been documented in almost every possible way. Audio, video, and eye witness.

What happens is that science demands more then evidence, it demands control and predictability. Because these things happen entirely outside of our control or ability to predict they are written off, ignored or simply assumed fake. We can't prove them via our current systems until we find some means of measuring them that we don't know about at the moment.

The key here is that I don't think UFO's are proof of little green aliens or ghosts proof of the spirit world. What we describe however as ghosts or UFO's I think have been proven 100 times over. What the heck these things are however remains to be discovered.

Yes and yes.

I think it is easy for most to think aliens exist. As has been said numerous times, with all the "stuff" out there, it is hard to believe there wouldn't be some other kind of life.

Ghosts...well....I do believe they exist. I have just seen too much evidence to believe otherwise.

I have had what I have thought to be paranormal experiences before, but no real story to tell, b/c I don't know if it they were real or just my imagination getting the better of me.

I must admit I am more interested in the paranormal than I am aliens. The thought of spirits and ghosts intrigues me greatly.

Ghosts yes, Aliens no.

Some of my Family members have experienced Ghosts. My Mom, Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle all had a visit by my Great-Grandma.

They were all sitting around the House listening to the Radio. When the front door opened up. Well, my Grandma thought it was the wind and just got up and shut it. So, she went back to listening to the radio, when it opened again. My Grandma got up and latched the door this time, and said "HUH!!! LET ME SEE YOU OPEN NOW!!! When she said that. All three doors opened including the one she latched. Grandma told my Uncle to shut the doors, but before he could make three steps, all three doors slammed like somebody was angry. My Grandpa said "That's Ma, She doesn't like that radio in the House (she thought radios was from the Devil when she was alive) I'll get rid of it tomorrow. So, they all went to Bed. The next morning when my Grandpa got up to take the radio off, the front door was wide open. My Mom said she had radios in other houses with no problems. She said my Great-Grandma just didn't want one in her house.

In 1994 I was staying in a dorm with some girls at Indiana State University in Pennsylvania for a weekend. I slept on a pullout couch in their living room. Throughout the night, I kept waking up to semi-conciousness, sort of unable to move but aware of where I was. Every time this happened, I'd look to the mantle above their fireplace and I would see a man in a mirror up there. The mirror was not reflecting me. This person was wearing a sort of "colonial" shirt or coat and he was fully-bearded and looked ill. I kept falling back asleep and finally slept until morning. When I awoke, I chalked it all up to being in a half-dream state the whole night. I even forgot about it while showering and making coffee.

During breakfast, the girls were talking about how they get spooked a lot in that dorm and they told a story about how sometimes when they are walking back from class, they look up into their dorm window to see a man looking back at them. I dropped my fork on the kitchen floor and asked, "A pale man with long hair and a long dark beard?" These girls went stone white and replied, "Yes." I told them I had just spent the entire night staring at the guy. They both started crying and I was completely stunned.

Being so far removed from the event now, I can't really say what happened that night or if it was all just a coincidence. Very strange though.

Archived